Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Facepalm. At least it gets spatial audio, which is quite nice.

I get the wireless limitation, but wired?! I suppose you can do it with a DAC to the current $40 wire.
So I have a Topping D10 USB DAC on my Mac Mini M1 which plugs into a headphone amp connected to wired headphones. Does this play the elusive Apple Lossless?

• Wow
Reactions: Ion-X

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I’d love to know who was in the product meetings when the HomePod and AirPods Max were being discussed. I still don’t know who these products were/are for. An audiophile is going to want a wired connection and if you’re not an audiophile these products cost more than most would be willing to spend.

Probably Jony Ive.

Thankfully, post-Ive products like the MacBook Pro with HDMI are coming soon.

Reactions: entropys and Zurkis

bobmans

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2020
Apple has confirmed that lossless audio can be listened to on an iPhone, iPad, Mac, or Apple TV, but the higher quality audio is not available on AirPods, AirPods Pro, or AirPods Max.

You have to be f’ing kidding me. My $600 headphones don’t support, even wired? They just freaking released them! Who on gods earth are they bringing lossless to Apple Music for? For all the people that don’t buy their products? They sell speakers and headphone, and none of them support lossless? That makes zero sense. This surely has to be a mistake.
I'm so disappointed. Was extremely excited about this news and can't believe that now AirPods Max won't be able to support it wired. I understand that is not possible by BT, but not even wired is such a disappointment after expending 600€ just 6 months ago on them.
They didn't support lossless 6 months ago, why would they suddenly support it today? Lossless audio isn't an Apple thing. Did you guys just spend $600 without looking at the spec sheet?

zoomp

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2010
There must be some misinterpretation going on, if the lightning cable is a straight analog connection to the internal headphone amp+drivers, there is no reason it would not support it using even the internal MacBook analog output. Unless there’s a stupid AD>DA useless converter being used in this connection. That would be dumb but possible.

zaneliu

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2013
Berkeley
There must be some misinterpretation going on, if the lightning cable is a straight analog connection to the internal headphone amp+drivers, there is no reason it would not support it using even the internal MacBook analog output. Unless there’s a stupid AD>DA useless converter being used in this connection. That would be dumb but possible.
I think maybe it'll have to be the APM connected to the lightning-8.5mm then connected directly to an external DAC. The DAC in the cable is designed for digital I think so it would nee an external amp/dac to drive the ALAC file using a laptop/phone? I think the headphone cable DAC turns off when plugged into a larger DAC? There's far too many adapting layers happening. I may be getting confused.

Reactions: Ion-X

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
Apple has confirmed that lossless audio can be listened to on an iPhone, iPad, Mac, or Apple TV, but the higher quality audio is not available on AirPods, AirPods Pro, or AirPods Max.

You have to be f’ing kidding me. My $600 headphones don’t support, even wired? They just freaking released them! Who on gods earth are they bringing lossless to Apple Music for? For all the people that don’t buy their products? They sell speakers and headphone, and none of them support lossless? That makes zero sense. This surely has to be a mistake.
Glad I just returned it. Is it better to wait and see if Apple is going to release new AirPodsMax that will support it? Given that this thing came out about half a year ago, when shall we expect a new version be out?

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
I can't hear the difference anyway.

In theory it should still be better on AirPods as there's now 1 less source of loss, no?

Not necessarily. The connection between your phone and your AirPods is like a kitchen faucet. Making the pipe bigger between the main water supply and your home won’t make a difference if the bottle neck is still your tiny little kitchen faucet.

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
"but there is debate about whether most people can even tell the difference between standard and lossless audio formats." if that were true, why offer it? and I seriously doubt that computer speakers offer the nuance here ...

It almost seems to me that the left didn't talk to the right at Apple ... offering a capability that your key products don't support?

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
No shocker here. Apple is notorious for not enabling features when they could, in order to keep customers in product upgrade cycle. Especially in its iPhones. The iPhone was behind with 3G, LTE and their current “5G” iteration. 120hz screens have been on competitors since 2017. Now Apple will unveil it on their 13 models like it’s some revolutionary technology. I’m sure there are more examples but these stand out.

As a Max owner of course I’m disappointed but I probably won’t hear the difference. product and services roadmaps are laid out years in advance and would have been nice for them to consider enabling it on 550 dollar headphone knowing this would be released in the near future. Boo Apple.

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
They should just say that they support lossless. :p I'd bet that only a handful of audiophiles would notice.

Fact is - you really need high end audio equipment and a fine tuned sense of hearing to even tell once you get above 256kbps AAC. Plus - most pop is compressed to the point where bumping up to lossless doesn't replace the detail that's literally crushed out of the master.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Scammed into buying something that didn't have a feature that you didn't even know about till this morning? Riiiiiiiiiight....
They didn't support lossless 6 months ago, why would they suddenly support it today? Lossless audio isn't an Apple thing. Did you guys just spend $600 without looking at the spec sheet?
Is it outside the realm of your ability to show some compassion to those that purchased Apple's best, high-end Audiophile headphones, and now find out that when Apple releases their Audiophile music service it won't work with their audiophile headphones?

It seems a reasonable assumption to me. Not to mention, before ripping-off customers $600 for the headphones, Apple might have let people know ahead of time that they wouldn't work with any lossless music services, even wired.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spainask27

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2016
They didn’t support lossless 6 months ago, but there wasn’t an Apple lossless either. But to announce today something that is not compatible with any of your headphones and speakers is a no sense. Of course I knew when I bought them that they couldn’t do lossless by BT, but I never thought it wouldn’t be able even wired with an Apple service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.