Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NewZealandMatt

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
Hi guys

Posting this in case anyone's having the same issue and wants a simple fix.

Love my AirPods. Maybe I just have freakish cavernous ears though, because the left one kept on falling out (and the right one could be precarious at times too).

I tried everything. Foam covers (okay but not super comfortable), silicone covers (too slippery and made it worse). Didn't want to go with Earhooks etc because I still wanted to be able to pop the AirPods back in the case without having to remove anything first.

Then it occurred to me that actually what they needed was enough grip in a couple of places to stop them falling out. What I tried then has worked a treat, and now you'd need a crowbar to pry these things out of my lugs. Okay, that's an exaggeration, but they don't fall out anymore.

What you'll need:

- Nexcare Absolute Waterproof Tape

https://www.nexcare.com/3M/en_US/ne...roof-Tape?N=4326+3294529207+3294631805&rt=rud

- A hole punch.

The Nexcare tape is soft and spongy. Punch out a couple of little dots with the hole punch and experiment with placement on the AirPods. To get them to stick properly just hold them down for a minute or so and the adhesive will warm up. Placement might be different for each ear. I was able to fix my fit with just two dots per AirPod. And they're completely invisible when I'm wearing them.

You'll end up with something that looks like this:

IMG_5724.jpg

Hope this helps someone out! Enjoy :)

Joell27

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2015
Hi guys

Love my AirPods. Maybe I just have freakish cavernous ears though, because the left one kept on falling out (and the right one could be precarious at times too).

I tried everything. Foam covers (okay but not super comfortable), silicone covers (too slippery and made it worse). Didn't want to go with Earhooks etc because I still wanted to be able to pop the AirPods back in the case without having to remove anything first.

Then it occurred to me that actually what they needed was enough grip in a couple of places to stop them falling out. What I tried then has worked a treat, and now you'd need a crowbar to pry these things out of my lugs. Okay, that's an exaggeration, but they don't fall out anymore.

What you'll need:

https://www.nexcare.com/3M/en_US/ne...roof-Tape?N=4326+3294529207+3294631805&rt=rud

- A hole punch.

The Nexcare tape is soft and spongy. Punch out a couple of little dots with the hole punch and experiment with placement on the AirPods. To get them to stick properly just hold them down for a minute or so and the adhesive will warm up. Placement might be different for each ear. I was able to fix my fit with just two dots per AirPod. And they're completely invisible when I'm wearing them.

View attachment 721461

How many usages do you get before you have to remove and re-apply the tape?
[doublepost=1507160291][/doublepost]
Thank you for suggesting this. I took it one step further and covered them for the most part. Definitely ads some nice grip on the ear.
9c0fba5b502a1d443105e819437651c9.jpg

Joell27

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2015
I've been wearing them for a couple of weeks and they look and fit exactly as they did when I first applied the tape.

thank you. i had actually returned the pair i had because they kept falling out of my ears. i even ordered the earhoox from amazon, but they still would fall out. Ive since ordered the beats studio 3's. i may have to retry the airpods w/ the mod because i liked the sound quality.

Reactions: alecgold

Joell27

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2015
Hi guys

What you'll need:

- A hole punch.

View attachment 721461

Can you post a pic with them in your ear?

Untapped Potential

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2017
[doublepost=1507160291][/doublepost]

I tried the hole punch method but it s unsuccessful. Now I will try your method. I hope it works.

nternal1

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2017
Vancouver
Wow! NewZealandMatt thanks so much for this great idea. I thought I was going to have to return the AirPods (which I really like). I saw this suggestion, tracked down the tape a couple of kms from my home and, within an hour, had solved my problem. Awesome!!!!

NewZealandMatt

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
Wow! NewZealandMatt thanks so much for this great idea. I thought I was going to have to return the AirPods (which I really like). I saw this suggestion, tracked down the tape a couple of kms from my home and, within an hour, had solved my problem. Awesome!!!!

You're welcome - glad it worked for you too. :)

titans1127

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2009
After seeing this thread, I'm strongly considering picking up a pair of AirPods. Might experiment with the tape on my wired EarPods first as those first a little looser than the AirPods did when I tried them when they first launched. My beats x always fall out even while sitting and just listening to music no matter the tip. The wings keep them in securely but the plastic hurts my ears within a half hour.

Reactions: scapegoat81

nternal1

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2017
Vancouver
After seeing this thread, I'm strongly considering picking up a pair of AirPods. Might experiment with the tape on my wired EarPods first as those first a little looser than the AirPods did when I tried them when they first launched. My beats x always fall out even while sitting and just listening to music no matter the tip. The wings keep them in securely but the plastic hurts my ears within a half hour.

I also have the Beats X. I would never waste my time with the supplied tips of any “in ear monitor” and always use aftermarket “Comply” foam tips. They are more compfortable and effective. They also have differenent versions: one is meant for optimal grip, one is meant for optimal comfort and one is meant for optimal sound isolation. Personally I have the comfort ones for everyday banging around and the isolation ones for gym or airplane use (where I want to minimize outside sounds). The isolation version (in the right size) provides outside sound attenuation that is on par (or better) than an active noise cancelling headphone like the Bose.

Ps. These will also give you the sound because they seal so well.

Last edited:

titans1127

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2009
I also have the Beats X. I would never waste my time with the supplied tips of any “in ear monitor” and always use aftermarket “Comply” foam tips. They are more compfortable and effective. They also have differenent versions: one is meant for optimal grip, one is meant for optimal comfort and one is meant for optimal sound isolation. Personally I have the comfort ones for everyday banging around and the isolation ones for gym or airplane use (where I want to minimize outside sounds). The isolation version (in the right size) provides outside sound attenuation that is on par (or better) than an active noise cancelling headphone like the Bose.

Ps. These will also give you the sound because they seal so well.
I’ve been tempted to get a pack Comply tips but the reviews put me off most of the time because it seems a lot of people have problems with them falling apart after a few months.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
I wish there were a similar solution for people with teeny tiny ear canals. I haven’t been able to use Apple’s stock earbuds for years, because they’re too big to fit comfortably in my ears.

I like my JayBird wireless earbuds well enough, and the smallest available silicone eartips work, but I like the charging case and W1 chip of the AirPods.

Reactions: Dani Miranda

nternal1

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2017
Vancouver
Nice tip. Wonder if those band aids I have will work, it's about the same in thickness

Dude, I think NewZealandMatt nailed it with the Nexcare tape. It's easy to find and the thing I like about it is that it sticks really well yet, if you peel it off, it doesn't seem to leave any sticky residue whatsoever. If it did you'd need alcohol to clean it off and Apple warns against this (or any cleaner for that matter).

Last edited:

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
Hi guys

What you'll need:

- A hole punch.

View attachment 721461

I can't begin to thank you enough.

I purchased AirPods as soon as they were available despite me being 100% unable to use EarPods because they would be so loose they would fall out in minutes even just slowly walking because of the hope, reviews, and promises that without a cord the AirPods would stay in much better. Well it is true, they stay in better, but still I can't do much more than walk or sit with the AirPods and I always have this feeling they will fall out in a moment. I love them so much I didn't have the heart to return them so I mainly use them in "quiet" situations.

I have seen the dozens of "solutions" to people with poor fitting AirPods but 100% of them required putting something on the AirPod that made it not fit in the case and I knew it defeats the entire purpose of the AirPods to have to take that extra step so I didn't do anything... until now. For $3.00 or so I now have a LIFETIME supply of these little dots and with 3 small little dots per AirPod (2 were good, 3 for me is better, totally invisible, fits in the case like they aren't there) the AirPods are now some of the best fitting earbuds I have ever owned, I'm sure I could work / run with these etc. plus the just the feeling of "fitting" and not always feeling like they are about to fall out is amazing.

Your find and post should be highlighted by EVERY SINGLE major Apple website, this is a big deal.

Young Turk

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2002
They fit perfectly inside the case. Lid snaps shut identically to the way it did without them. They actually don’t add much thickness to the AirPods at all - just grip where it’s needed.

My experience, first thanks to OP for great find.

I applied the tape dots but didn’t like how they looked every time I opened the AirPods case. So I left the ones on the bottom in place but removed the ones on top. Now, when I open the case, the AirPods look normal - the ones on the bottom are hidden from view. Enough to greatly improve the fit, while still preserving the minimalist aesthetic.

Reactions: Rocko99991
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.