Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Upcoming AirPods Pro firmware updates are now available to Apple Developer Program members as beta versions.

AirPods-Pro-Beta-Firmware.jpg

AirPods Pro firmware beta one features FaceTime Spatial Audio and Ambient Noise Reduction. Custom Transparency mode, including Conversation Boost, was initially expected to be included in the beta but appears to have been delayed for a later version.

Apple made the announcement that beta firmware for AirPods Pro would be available to developers earlier this year, allowing for certain AirPods Pro software features or changes to be widely tested before they are pushed to the public, but it did not originally give a timeframe for its release.

The beta firmware is now available to download under the "More Downloads" heading on the Apple Developer website. To install the beta firmware, users must have an iPhone running iOS 15 beta software, a Mac running Xcode 13 beta software, and have fully charged their AirPods Pro.

airpods-pro-firmware-beta.jpg

Installing the beta firmware is more laborious than most other Apple Developer betas. It requires an AirPods Pro configuration profile to be installed on an iPhone, AirPods Pro to be connected to the iPhone, the iPhone to be connected to a Mac running the Xcode 13 beta, iPhone Prerelease Beta Firmware settings to be turned on, AirPods Pro automatic beta software updates to be turned on, and then an on-screen process to be followed. Apple notes that users should be patient as it can take up to 24 hours to receive and install these updates.

Users should be aware that once installed, there is no way to roll back to a non-beta version of the AirPods Pro firmware. The only option is to turn off further updates and wait for a non-beta release.

Previously, there was no way to manually update AirPods devices with new firmware, with updates simply being installed automatically in the background when connected to power and nearby to a paired iPhone or iPad with an internet connection.

Article Link: AirPods Pro Beta Firmware Now Available

BrentT

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
"It requires an ‌AirPods Pro‌ configuration profile to be installed on an ‌iPhone‌, ‌AirPods Pro‌ to be connected to the ‌iPhone‌, the ‌iPhone‌ to be connected to a Mac running the Xcode 13 beta, ‌iPhone‌ Prerelease Beta Firmware settings to be turned on, ‌AirPods Pro‌ automatic beta software updates to be turned on, and then an on-screen process to be followed."

Then put your right foot in and shake it all around...

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Although it's nice Apple has put AirPods Pro as part of the developer release ... besides for testing apps/hardware within for the hearing impaired/challenged I cannot see what benefit Developers would get out of this? Would their apps feature need to have the FW altered in some way?

Interesting.
There is an API for developers to access motion data from the gyroscope and accelerometer in the AirPods. So there is actually testing with AirPods.

Reactions: DeepIn2U and cmatuk

Jbusick7944

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2008
Does ambient noise reduction mean the microphone won't pick up as much noise? If I even wash my hands while on a call on my APPs, the person on the other end is miserable with how loud it is.

Reactions: xpxp2002

cmatuk

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2013
It’s really amazing that they’re adding new features to earbuds that are at this point approaching two years old. That is rock solid support right there.
I agree; If those new AirPods 3 are really coming, adding functionalities to the Pros while launching those it's a nice deal for current owners until a new physical model comes out.

Also; this might make APP even cooler for gaming, if there's an API developers can add the head tracking thing to games and make them greater.

fullfast

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2010
Really stupid here but using latest beta code but dont see "settings>developer" on the iPhone as mentioned in the instructions

eboychik

Contributor
Jun 19, 2003
NJ USA
I've followed the directions as Apple outlined them, but I'm not seeing "Prerelease Beta Firmware" in Settings/Developer. And it seems to be taking forever for Xcode to be "making iPhone ready for development."

I@beck

macrumors member
May 23, 2021
Conversation boost is a feature I am anticipating as it helps elderly. Apple is doing something for elderly is always good.

Reactions: Robert.Walter

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
So it needs a supported Mac (presumably M1) which I don’t have. However, given AirPods Pro audio drop on iOS 15 beta is awful as hell, I surely don’t want a buggy firmware to brick my absolutely out of warranty AirPods Pro, which the repair cost is likely the same or higher than buying a new one.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
There is an API for developers to access motion data from the gyroscope and accelerometer in the AirPods. So there is actually testing with AirPods.
YES. I completely forgot about this.
Helps for walking gate (great for those in traction for re-learning how to walk),
balance (for above or for those that have fallen). useful to detect head trauma or lack of head impact if fallen. Must be thousands of elderly that fall and hit their noggin or mores less that do. Those that have - data would be helpful for doctors, if shared.

I still want for DuoLingo to finally support BT headphones as microphone source already. Smule finally did it!

Reactions: Robert.Walter

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
I will always wonder why they made this available for the Pro model only
Because the regular AirPods basically have no features compared to the Pros thus there would be nothing for developers to integrate into apps and services.

Specifically, Apple wants devs to make use of Spatial Audio which the regular AirPods just aren't capable of.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.