Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In addition to introducing third-generation AirPods with a similar design as AirPods Pro, Apple today announced that the AirPods Pro now come with a MagSafe charging case, with pricing remaining set at $249 in the United States.

magsafe-airpods.jpeg

With a MagSafe charging case, the AirPods Pro case can magnetically attach to Apple's MagSafe Charger or MagSafe Duo while wirelessly charging.

As expected, Apple did not announce second-generation AirPods Pro at its "Unleashed" event today. Rumors suggest the second-generation AirPods Pro will be announced next year with a more compact design like Google's Pixel Buds and Samsung's Galaxy Buds.

The full AirPods lineup now includes the second-generation AirPods with a wired charging case for $129, third-generation AirPods with a wireless charging case for $179, and the AirPods Pro with a MagSafe charging case for $249.

For more details about the third-generation AirPods, read our announcement coverage.

Article Link: AirPods Pro Now Available With MagSafe Charging Case for Same $249 Price

Last edited:

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
Does this mean that they don't have the lightning port as my pro's have been able to charge on magsafe since magsafe came out.

Reactions: Skoal

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
Does this mean that they don't have the lightning port as my pro's have been able to charge on magsafe since magsafe came out.
No, they still have a lightning port. Of course your AirPods Pro still works with MagSafe, but they don’t have the magnetic connection. Not a big deal, you can still charge them by putting them on the MagSafe puck

gregconquest

macrumors member
May 17, 2016
near Yokohama, Japan
2 different formats for MagSafe is causing confusion. I was thinking Apple replaced the Lightning port with the MagSafe for Macs connector. It's just the Qi charger has been updated to the wireless MagSafe though, right? But without the magnets?

Reactions: CC77

msackey

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2020
I'm currently charging my AirPods Pro on a MagSafe charger now. What am I missing here that's new?

Yeah, I had to read that article twice and then think about it. I think it means that the revised AirPods Pro case now has the proper magnets to align it with MagSafe charger. I do wonder if it means that the case can also charge at the higher rated speed for MagSafe charging; not sure about that one.

And indeed, the AirPods Pro always came with the ability to use Qi or Magsafe charging, just that it didn’t have the magnetic alignments.

Reactions: Cheesehead Dave

kanshu

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
Did I miss something? The event didn't say anything about AirPods PRO having a MagSafe. It's the AirPods Gen 3 that is getting a MagSafe.

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
I find the $179 price point interesting. Currently on Amazon, you can get a pair of AirPods Pro for $197 and you get noise cancellation with that. Of course that is without the MagSafe case, but for $18 more you get the Pros.

Reactions: shadowbird423

CC77

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2016
Chicago, IL
The fact that you paid $30 more, since now they come with one for the retail price of $249
They don't come with a magsafe cable....they come with the magsafe (magnet-assisted) charging case, even though the existing one still can charge via magsafe, this new case also includes the magnet part that makes it click in place on a magsafe charger. The case itself isn't and hasn't been available separately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.