Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Did I miss something? The event didn't say anything about AirPods PRO having a MagSafe. It's the AirPods Gen 3 that is getting a MagSafe.
They put a new Airpods Pro revision on the Apple Store, Airpods gen 3 was what was announced. The new Airpods Pro just has magnets added to the charging case so they snap onto Magsafe chargers like the gen 3 does.

Reactions: CC77

Rivalyn

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2021
Wonder if the Airpod Pro case and the new 3rd gen Airpods case are the same. Need to order a case for my case :p

johnyslats

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
I find the $179 price point interesting. Currently on Amazon, you can get a pair of AirPods Pro for $197 and you get noise cancellation with that. Of course that is without the MagSafe case, but for $18 more you get the Pros.
The Pros are a no go for many people. I for one had to return mine as they were actually painful to wear. There’s a thread about it on here somewhere. Silicone tips just aren’t any option for many

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
Reactions: swrobel

Zhixian Wu

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2015
My hypothesis is: Apple will enable the reverse wireless charging feature in the iPhone for AirPods 3 and Pro sooner rather than later, maybe through software update down the line, or maybe in the next generation of iPhones (Sept 2022) at last.

Otherwise it makes no sense to me, it's not difficult by any means to place one of these charging cases aligned with the coil inside any Qi charging pad – including Apple's own MagSafe charging puck. MagSafe will enable a perfect alignment if you have bought the puck already, sure, but the charging case only demands 5 watts of power with no fast charging capability whatsoever, the imbedded magnets provide no meaningful benefits in this case. (sorry for the pun)

The more I think about it, the more I tend to believe that these charging cases are not primary intended to work with the charging puck, but to work with the iPhone. Because not every iPhone owner would buy a MagSafe charging puck, but every AirPods owner guaranteed has an iPhone! Forgot to charge the AirPods charging case last night? Simply snap it to the back of your iPhone and you're good to go. It starts to make perfect sense now.

Considering that iPhone can already reverse charge the MagSafe Battery Pack, albeit the iPhone must be plugged in and charged above 80% because of obvious reasons, the AirPods charging case is basically a shrank-down version of that, I'd be surprised if Apple gives these charging cases the MagSafe compatibility then does nothing with it and walks away.

EDIT:

Well, I certainly overthought and overlooked, as @jaytv111 pointed out, the magnetic polarity actually prevents the attachment.
The magnetic polarity gets in the way of using the iPhone for charging another Magsafe device. This one will repel from an iPhone and get misaligned, so no there will not be reverse wireless charging.
Thanks for the correction!

Last edited:
Reactions: Kobayagi

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Wow, I was very confused reading this, couldnt figure out what changed, then I read the comments. So they added stronger magnets to the case. Okay. Honestly, I thought the case already had these. I never tried them, because I like the regular AirPods more, because they're not in-ear.

But yeah, nice addition, for the AirPods 3 too.
I bought this stand for my iPhone 12/MagSafe charger. This means, this new case could also probably stick onto it.

Schermafbeelding 2021-10-18 om 22.17.35.png

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
My hypothesis is: Apple will enable the reverse wireless charging feature in the iPhone for AirPods 3 and Pro sooner rather than later, maybe through software update down the line, or maybe in the next generation of iPhones (Sept 2022) at last.

Otherwise it makes no sense to me, it's not difficult by any means to place one of these charging cases aligned with the coil inside any Qi charging pad – including Apple's own MagSafe charging puck. MagSafe will enable a perfect alignment if you have bought the puck already, sure, but the charging case only demands 5 watts of power with no fast charging capability whatsoever, the imbedded magnets provide no meaningful benefits in this case. (sorry for the pun)

The more I think about it, the more I tend to believe that these charging cases are not primary intended to work with the charging puck, but to work with the iPhone. Because not every iPhone owner would buy a MagSafe charging puck, but every AirPods owner guaranteed has an iPhone! Forgot to charge the AirPods charging case last night? Simply snap it to the back of your iPhone and you're good to go. It starts to make perfect sense now.

Considering that iPhone can already reverse charge the MagSafe Battery Pack, albeit the iPhone must be plugged in and charged above 80% because of obvious reasons, the AirPods charging case is basically a shrank-down version of that, I'd be surprised if Apple gives these charging cases the MagSafe compatibility then does nothing with it and walks away.
The magnetic polarity gets in the way of using the iPhone for charging another Magsafe device. This one will repel from an iPhone and get misaligned, so no there will not be reverse wireless charging. This was done so that you can use certain Magsafe chargers, usually stand chargers, with the Airpods and it improves the alignment. Some chargers you can't put the Airpods case on it because it's a stand and it falls right off.

Reactions: Zhixian Wu

Zhixian Wu

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2015
The magnetic polarity gets in the way of using the iPhone for charging another Magsafe device. This one will repel from an iPhone and get misaligned, so no there will not be reverse wireless charging. This was done so that you can use certain Magsafe chargers, usually stand chargers, with the Airpods and it improves the alignment. Some chargers you can't put the Airpods case on it because it's a stand and it falls right off.
You're right, thanks for the correction! I've updated my post.

ichickon

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2007
Think MIGHT be a bit misleading. MagSafe, to me, means it snaps into place with little effort. “Works with MagSafe” might mean you can stick your AirPods on the MagSafe charger and it might charge if you positioned them correctly. Which is it? Who knows.

joshseibert

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2016
I need a new case too, moisture has slightly corroded one of the connectors causing the right airpod to sometimes discharge in the case.
I’d love one too!

I always set my case on my phone’s MagSafe charger even though it is easily knocked off. Plus, my case is pretty beaut up and dyed from jeans.

Am I able to purchase a new one using my AppleCare+ or anything?

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Looks like Magsafe is here to stay and Apple is preparing all its device to be compatible, and possibly leaving Lightning port behind.

It’s been some time since Lightning port is actually hidden away from marketing pictures and product informations, as if they get embarassed by it.

Solid_Snake

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2021
No, they still have a lightning port. Of course your AirPods Pro still works with MagSafe, but they don’t have the magnetic connection. Not a big deal, you can still charge them by putting them on the MagSafe puck
I'm currently charging my AirPods Pro on a MagSafe charger now. What am I missing here that's new?
New case attaches magnetically. It’s for new users it’s not aimed at those who already AirPods Pro.

ownegrady1123

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2021
I spoke too apple, and they said they did actually modify anything to the AirPods Pro. And plus its obvious because as of monday the AirPods Pro were called wireless charging and now its magsafe. They said its already compatible. So i am yet to check is there truly new revised AirPods Pro or is it just mentioning it’s compatibility with magsafe…

Reactions: imola.zhp
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.