Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At its iPhone 15 event last week, Apple announced updated second-generation AirPods Pro with a USB-C charging case, additional dust resistance, and support for lossless audio with Apple's upcoming Vision Pro headset. Apple still classifies these as second-generation AirPods Pro, and it does not sell the USB-C case separately.

AirPods-USB-C-Port-Red-Triad.jpg

The updated AirPods Pro have been available to order since last week, and will begin arriving to customers and launch in stores on Friday. Ahead of time, select media outlets and YouTube channels have shared first impressions of the updated earbuds.

There is minimal commentary about the hardware changes, with most reviews agreeing that there is little reason for existing second-generation AirPods Pro users to upgrade. USB-C is a convenient addition, additional dust resistance is welcomed, and lossless audio support cannot be tested until the Vision Pro launches in the U.S. in early 2024.

iOS 17 adds several features to all second-generation AirPods Pro, including Adaptive Audio, Conversation Awareness, and Personalized Volume. Keep in mind that these software features are also available on the original second-generation AirPods Pro released in September 2022, so there is no need to update to the USB-C model to use them.

The Verge's Chris Welch on Adaptive Audio:
Adaptive Audio is meant to be a set-it-and-forget-it mode that blends active noise cancellation and transparency, canceling loud distractions where needed while also helping you stay present in your environment. In my experience so far, this feature rarely cancels my surroundings to the same degree as the full noise cancellation mode (I wouldn’t use it on a plane), but it reduces outside sound enough to not take away from my music — even at lower volumes. To my ears so far, it’s basically an even smarter version of the adaptive transparency that Apple debuted with last year’s AirPods Pro.
TechCrunch's Brian Heater on Conversation Awareness:
Conversational Awareness is a nice addition. It uses a combination of different sensors to determine when you’re talking. That includes obvious things like built-in mics, coupled with more surprising elements like the accelerometer, which detects vibration to determine that you are, in fact, the one who is talking, without having to resort to something like voice recognition. When that's triggered, the audio begins to lower, effectively getting out of your way when talking.

I was impressed by the detection. It didn't trigger when I, say, coughed, yawned or cleared my throat. When I started talking, however, the music began to lower. It doesn't stay down for any specific set amount of time. The company says it relies on an algorithm to determine such things. Factors include the length of time you're talking, so it doesn't mistake a break in conversation for the end of one.
TheStreet's Jacob Krol on both Adaptive Audio and Conversation Awareness:
It feels almost magical as it works as intended. For instance, sitting in a bustling hotel lobby, you'll encounter background noise and chatter from other patrons nearby; once I engaged Adaptive, it lowers the brunt of the noise, and with music playing, it all becomes very faint. If a louder noise appears, like a cart being pushed through the space, it will process it in real time and lower it specifically.

Let's take a more likely or commonly occurring scenario—I'm walking around my apartment with AirPods Pro, listening to some music with Adaptive on. It lowers the brunt of my HVAC system, similar to how the ANC performs, but I can hear a faint knock on my door as I'm expecting a package from FedEx. I open the door, and thanks to Conversation Awareness turned on, I can start talking, and AirPods Pro automatically switches to Transparency mode.
Inverse's Raymond Wong on Personalized Volume:
Personalized Volume uses machine learning to automatically adjust the volume just for your ears. Apple says Personalized Volume is determined by "environmental conditions and volume selections" over time. I didn't notice any meaningful volume adjustments over a week of testing so I turned it off.
Videos

... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: AirPods Pro With USB-C Reviews: Few Hardware Changes, But Useful iOS 17 Software Features

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
I wonder if the "additional dust resistance" rating actually is any different from the actual hardware of the earlier Pro models. It is possible that the same hardware/hardware design recently received that dust resistance rating (e.g., if Apple did not test it for that rating earlier) and nothing about the hardware has actually changed. If that were the case, that's just a matter of obtaining certification.

abatabia

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2023
New Jersey
Not sure about anyone else, but the case of my lightning APP2 drains so fast I have to bring it into apple. Never had that issue with any other AirPods. Drains to nothing every other day. They say it’s normal but insisted on it being looked at under warranty.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
I wonder if the "additional dust resistance" rating actually is any different from the actual hardware of the earlier Pro models. It is possible that the same hardware/hardware design recently received that dust resistance rating (e.g., if Apple did not test it for that rating earlier) and nothing about the hardware has actually changed. If that were the case, that's just a matter of obtaining certification.
Apple just used more glue. 😂

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Not sure about anyone else, but the case of my lightning APP2 drains so fast I have to bring it into apple. Never had that issue with any other AirPods. Drains to nothing every other day. They say it’s normal but insisted on it being looked at under warranty.
When my Apple products are still under warranty, I am more picky about them. My husband laughs at me about that. He gifted me the original AirPods Pro a couple years ago and I purchased AppleCare +. Over a period of two years, I must have exchanged a bud or two like 4 times or so because I was for sure going to make use of that warranty if there's anything even if a little wrong with the buds.

I now have the APP2 and decided not to purchase AC+. Still under warranty, but I haven't found anything about my APP2 yet that I need to nitpick with before the warranty is up. LOL.

kerr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Australia
For those waiting for the next AirPods Pro, what new or enhanced features do you think we can expect? Is there anything from left field you would like to see?

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
For those waiting for the next AirPods Pro, what new or enhanced features do you think we can expect? Is there anything from left field you would like to see?
Better sound quality. It should hurt Apple that Sony has the superior sound quality.
Better ANC on higher pitched sounds.
Better battery.

IF those were the only 3 changes from APP2, I reckon everybody would be incredibly happy.

simidene

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2017
I'm interested to find out what makes these AirPods support lossless while the Lightning ones can't.
It supports lossless if paired/while using the Vision Pro head set.
"Brian Heater at TechCrunch wrote conceptually about the promised lossless audio experience with the revised AirPods Pro 2 and Vision Pro" (9to5mac)airpods-pro-2-usb-c-review-roundup.

When the two are paired, you’ll get 20-bit, 48kHz lossless audio at ultra-low latency. Given how spatial audio on headphones give the listener a sense of location, it’s easy to see how the two will ultimately pair nicely together. Of course, that specific experience is something we’ll have to save for another day, closer to the Vision Pro launch, I suppose.

yossi

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
I have a first gen Airpods Pro - the sound and noise cancelling is great for me. But when I am on a call with someone, they hear every background sound andstruggle to hear my voice. Do these updated versions address that at all, or do I need a different set that focuses on reducing background noise for the other party?

Helvetesdörr

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2020
I tried all the new software features for a few days, and they didn't really impress me that much. Adaptive wasn't very useful since it seems to have a very high threshold for proper noise cancellation, so you end up in "normal" mode most of the time where you probably wouldn't want to (full noise cancellation didn't kick in when I was walking right next to a busy road). Conversation awareness is nice I guess but I still feel like an ******* talking to people with both headphones in so I remove one anyway. No idea what personalised volume does, maybe I didn't give it enough time but all I felt was random volume jumps at weird times, I expected it to learn my preferred dB level and try to stick to that or something.

simidene

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2017
That's the thing, I don't see the connection between USB-C and wireless lossless support. Will need to wait for a tear down or possibly for the Vision Pro to release.
It might be akin to Sony and LDAC. Sony claims that while using LDAC you can get lossless music? I am wondering if the vision pro allows (has the codec) for lossesless streaming and transmits it to Air pods?

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Conversation awareness is nice I guess but I still feel like an ******* talking to people with both headphones in so I remove one anyway.
I agree and I feel the same way too. It feels really rude to have ears physically blocked and responding to someone. Maybe that the digital equivalent of dangling a lit cigarette in your mouth what smacking away at a customer's question. Feel very lackluster rude.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.