Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

During Tuesday's event, Apple revealed that the rumored new version of its AirPods headphones were not in fact the "AirPods 2," but simply a new inductive wireless charging case that users will be able to purchase as a replacement for their current charging cases. No release date or price was mentioned, but information reportedly sourced from Apple Switzerland (via MacPrime) [Google Translate] suggests a December launch date for the new AirPods wireless charging case, which will cost $69.

AirPods-2.0.jpg

Apple's out-of-warranty fee to repair or replace the AirPods charging case is $69, so a similar price point for the wireless charging version does make some sense. The only design change made to the new charging case is the placement of the LED battery indicator light, which has migrated from the inside of the case to the outside on the front.

This way, when users place the case down on a Qi-compatible charging pad, they'll be able to see the battery level of the AirPods' case without needing to open the top. Apple will be launching its own Qi charging station -- called the AirPower mat -- sometime in 2018, but until then owners of the iPhone 8, iPhone X, and AirPods will need to purchase third-party charging pads.

airpower.jpg

In regards to the new AirPods wireless charging case, it's still unclear if Apple will offer a version that also includes the AirPods themselves at the typical $159 price tag. The original AirPods launched in December of 2016.

Article Link: AirPods Wireless Charging Case Rumored for December Launch at $69

andyjam

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2008
Sydney, Australia
The only design change made to the new charging case is the placement of the LED battery indicator light, which has migrated from the inside of the case to the outside on the front.

The animation also showed that the rear button has moved up to the centre of the case rather than being near the bottom (where the induction stuff will presumably be).

Reactions: Icaras

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
Surely all new AirPods will come with the wireless charging case... surely?

I would hope so, but don't hold your breath. If they are pushing wireless charging tech, which it seems like they are, then it seems like the logical choice, but we all know how Apple is with their accessories.

Derekuda

Suspended
Oct 2, 2004
Why do you people keep supporting apple by buying this overpriced crap!? Vote with your wallets people! That case should be no more then $15. Just like charging cables and dongles should be no more then $5.
NOONE needs wireless. It's bringing laziness to the next level. Because plugging in a cable is so hard. /s

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
If we who bought AirPods recently could walk into an store and replace it for $10 I would do it.
But paying $69 for just the case...ehho_O

Maybe when I have lots of other wireless charging stuff.
Until then, it works fine to put the case into any iPhone/iPad dock I have, a few minutes. :p

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
The miracles of wireless charging!

You need:
#1 - An AC adapter that plugs into the wall.
#2 - A Lightning power cable.
#3 - A wireless charging mat.
#4 - A charging case.

So much easier than just plugging your devices into the wall.
Or, you know, any other pair of headphones that just gets power by virtue of being plugging into something else that has power.

lellis2k

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
I would hope so, but don't hold your breath. If they are pushing wireless charging tech, which it seems like they are, then it seems like the logical choice, but we all know how Apple is with their accessories.
But it's not an additional accessory, it replaces your current case, I know that's the same as watch bands but I really think this has to be included, or, possibly a slight price uplift for the Qi case, rather than having to buy both, either way, it's probably going on my xmas list, everyone who has them seems to love them.

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
The miracles of wireless charging!

You need:
#1 - An AC adapter that plugs into the wall.
#2 - A Lightning power cable.
#3 - A wireless charging mat.
#4 - A charging case.

So much easier than just plugging your devices into the wall.
Or, you know, any other pair of headphones that just gets power by virtue of being plugging into something else that has power.

and don't forget:
#5 An electrical outlet
#6 Utility service
#7 A house or apartment to install your outlet
#8 A job to pay for everything
#9 "Me Time"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.