Airport card / Sierra OSX

macpro00

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2016
Alright, I updated my 2009 MP (5,1) with Sierra and it does not recognize my airport card. I did the reset VRAM/SMC and deleted preferences.

Currently, I am connected via CAT5 and not sure what options there are to get wireless back?

Thoughts?

macpro00

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2016
Alright, I updated my 2009 MP (5,1) with Sierra and it does not recognize my airport card. I did the reset VRAM/SMC and deleted preferences.

Currently, I am connected via CAT5 and not sure what options there are to get wireless back?

Thoughts?
I went into system report and clicked on PCI to only get the following message:

"There was an error while gathering PCI device information."

Is this causing Airport Card to not be recognized?

h9826790

macrumors G5
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I went into system report and clicked on PCI to only get the following message:

"There was an error while gathering PCI device information."

Is this causing Airport Card to not be recognized?
It's your GPU cause this "error", which should do nothing to your airport card.

Some 2009 Mac Pro shipped with an airport card that not supported in Sierra. In your case, most likely you have that card. So, if you really need Wi-Fi, the options are...

1) downgrade back to 10.11
2) buy a new airport card that has native 10.12 support
3) buy a USB external Wifi dongle which can be used in 10.12 (3rd party driver may be required)

macpro00

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2016
It's your GPU cause this "error", which should do nothing to your airport card.

Some 2009 Mac Pro shipped with an airport card that not supported in Sierra. In your case, most likely you have that card. So, if you really need Wi-Fi, the options are...

1) downgrade back to 10.11
2) buy a new airport card that has native 10.12 support
3) buy a USB external Wifi dongle which can be used in 10.12 (3rd party driver may be required)
Thank you for the insight! For #2 or #3, do you have a specific model # you recommend?