Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ObbieZ

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2006
Mark: you're not nuts

This is partly a "me, too!" response, but I think I have a tidbit of new info that might be useful.

On an Al-G4, just out of warranty, I got bit by the "self-assigned IP address" bug. I'm connecting to a Netgear 801.11b router (w/ 4-port switch), but it's set up for standard DHCP... no fancy hoops of going to another server for dhcp, etc.

A few nights ago, we had a storm, so everything was unplugged overnight. In the morning, the wireless worked! Five days later, it's gone again.

I find it interesting that you can connect to other routers... I haven't tried that. My Ti-book G4 connects fine to my router, so it's not a Mac-specific issue (but maybe an issue with the Mac 801.11g cards... the b-card in the Ti-book is ok).

And sometimes (not all the time), taking all power off the system for a long enough time gets something to reset that isn't resetting on its own.

(BTW, FWIW my battery's worthless... pulling the plug with the system on and awake means instant shutdown. Just felt the need to respond to the instant "take your battery out" messages.)

Hope this helps. It's driving me nuts, too.
----
Obbie

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
hmm I only have a couple other ideas I really don't think they will help but why not. :D Try zapping the PRAM. If that does not do anything try permissions. But I can't think of anything else:eek:

EDIT: And also try connecting and then look in the event viewer on the server. Look for a failed lease or something like that. Also check the lease time on the 2k3 server, maybe its set to a really short time or a very long one and for some reason the mac does not like it.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
markogier said:
Please help!
I am a comitted Mac switcher trying to put my lovely new MacBook onto the office Windows network. I can connect to the office wireless network (WEP key etc) and the little radar Icon in the menu bar lights up. However, I cannot get the MacBook to obtain an IP address via DHCP. I just keep getting the default self assigned address (169.....).

However, when I connect to the network via a cable using the built in ethernet connector, I get the DHCP address just fine and everything works OK.

Also, if I assign an IP address manually to the wireless card (checking it is a free address!) it accepts the settings but I cannot network, not even a basic ping of another machine on the local internal network (all our internal machines are using 10.0.0.x addresses and 255.255.255.0 sub net)

The DHCP server is not in the wirless router but is a Windows server machine.

This is driving me crazy. I have called Apple care and they just dont want to know because there is a Windows machine in the mix. I expected better from them, particulalrly as I have paid for Applecare!!

Many thanks
Mark

You know Mark, I just read through this, and several things hit me...are your wireless network settings (the IPs that are assigned different from the IPs for the ethernet lines?)

Such that the lined network is 10.0.y.x and the wireless is 10.0.0.x?

Also, I happen to know with crappy Wintel laptops, you have to manually assign a DNS server along with a manual IP, so I'd look up an open DNS server, preferably a DNS server nearby, say a local university and add it in alternative DNS's. :)

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
benthewraith said:
Also, I happen to know with crappy Wintel laptops, you have to manually assign a DNS server along with a manual IP, so I'd look up an open DNS server, preferably a DNS server nearby, say a local university and add it in alternative DNS's. :)
But that is design. The DNS server is assigned via DHCP after you get your IP from the DHCP server which means manual IP and most DHCP server will not hand out the DNS. :) Second, DNS would not change a thing as when you ping and IP DNS is not used.

markogier

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2006
Hello again

Been away for a while but now I am back and yes, the proble is still there!

I have looked in the DHCP log on the windows server dishing out DHCP and there is no sign of my machine at all. Not surprising really as I think it is a wireless issue not an IP one. I think this because if I manually assign a vlaid IP address I still cant get on the network, not even ping another machine.

Just to answer the question re. the wired and wireless networks being different IP ranges. No, it is just a flat network with the range 10.0.0.x throughout. It is not a large or complex network. One flt range with an ADSL router connecting to the net. Simple really and thw ored connection works fine.

Still nothing from Apple (couldnt) Care (less) support. I never had this trouble or lack of support from Uncle Bill!

BTW, has naybody with this problem tried using WPA instead of WEP security? Wondered if that might help.

Keep the ideas coming
Thanks
Mark (still being driven nuts)

maxvamp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2002
Somewhere out there
markogier said:
Hello again

Been away for a while but now I am back and yes, the proble is still there!

I have looked in the DHCP log on the windows server dishing out DHCP and there is no sign of my machine at all. Not surprising really as I think it is a wireless issue not an IP one. I think this because if I manually assign a vlaid IP address I still cant get on the network, not even ping another machine.

Just to answer the question re. the wired and wireless networks being different IP ranges. No, it is just a flat network with the range 10.0.0.x throughout. It is not a large or complex network. One flt range with an ADSL router connecting to the net. Simple really and thw ored connection works fine.

Still nothing from Apple (couldnt) Care (less) support. I never had this trouble or lack of support from Uncle Bill!

BTW, has naybody with this problem tried using WPA instead of WEP security? Wondered if that might help.

Keep the ideas coming
Thanks
Mark (still being driven nuts)

You know, I just went through this the last few days...

I started off by getting a new router, and then my TiBook 550 running Panther would, more often then not, not be able to get a DHCP address.
I upgraded to a D-Link 54G card, and the problem did not go away.

Ultimately, upgrading to Tiger solved the problem.

In short, there was something that went wrong in the OS. I wonder if simply re-installing the OS ( over the old one ) would fix the problem.

On a side note, The TiBook 550 runs much faster on Tiger than it did Panther. I did not upgrade for a long time, because just the opposite was true when performing the same task with an iBook 600.

Max 499.

valor

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2006
Seattle, WA
A couple more things...

If it's not absolutely essential that you access other machines on your intranet via their usage names (i.e. server instead of 10.0.1.2), then you should be able to manually set your Airport settings to a static IP so that it works. You need the following information:

IP address
Subnet Mask
Default gateway (most likely your Windows Server)
DNS entries. Like someone else said, you should try to enter ones that are close geographically to you: http://80.247.230.136/dns.htm

If you choose to go this route, be sure to exclude the address from distribution in your WinServer DHCP setup--found in Computer Management/Services/DHCP/Scope/Address Pool

You can manage this static setting using the "Locations" feature in Mac OS fairly easily. You can access locations from the Apple Menu directly.

All that being said, however, statically assigned IPs are a pain in the butt. A couple more things to try:
-try creating a DHCP reservation on your WinServer machine for your AP wireless card
-try the above with "DHCP with manual address" setting in your network settings control panel
-make sure the firmware in your router is up to date
-Reset your router to factory defaults, then manually redo the settings
-Trash your Airport setting files
-and last but not least USE WPA WITH WIRELESS NETWORKS. It's a LOT more secure, a LOT easier to setup, and just has fewer headaches all around. True, it requires more overhead than WEP, but WEP is just an overall pain in the ass. Also, if you happen to have an "b" only clients, it will still work with them. There's no real reason for you to stick with WEP over WPA.

I hope this helps!

DiGiTY

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2006
Was there ever a solution or fix found for this problem??? because I'm having the same exact problem

So far, I've went through two usb adapters (Sagem USB adapter and now a AirPort Extreme card) and two routers (NetGear and now Linksys) and I still can't get on network nor Internet. I get no IP address from router and when i assign a IP, i can't ping anything including the router. it use to connect with no problems before and all the other devices (PCs) connect with no problems. it also connects to neighboring wireless networks with no problems... there's just something about this iMac (not the wireless card) connecting to my specific WEP router (need WEP because other devices on network don't support WPA yet)

this has been driving me nuts for weeks now... any new ideas???

TIA

Hathaway

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2006
Knoxville, TN
I'm also encountering this problem and can see no way around it (besides switching to a PC or buying a new mac). Anyone know how to fix this yet? I've just about given up.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Has anyone tried a unix/linux system? Does it act the same way. One thing that just came to mind. Does the DHCP server have the option to only dish out IPs to authenticated/known hosts? I don't know where that option is but maybe thats doing it.

azmacman

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2006
I agree with rdepom. I have the same problem with my intel imac 20" about 25% of the time when it boots up and needs a DHCP address from my Belkin wireless router which is set to grant DHCP addresses and it does not rely on a Windows PC. 7 other computers I use on this wireless network ever have a problem. It did the same thing when I used a Linksys router too. I have all of the updates, and excellent signal strength. The only thing that seems to help some, is to have the airport as the first entry in the port configurations list. Even then, I sometimes have to disable and re-enable the airport from the icon at the top of the screen, to"wake up" the airport and get it to retrieve a valid DHCP address.

This sounds strongly to me like a timing issue of the airport not waiting long enough before auto-assigning its own bogus IP address. It also seems to help if you let the imac do the network assistant and do all of the configuration for you. But even then, about 1 out of 4 times when it is turned on, you'll see "network not found" errors and you'll have to toggle the airport on and off to wake it up and get a good DHCP address.

linuxophile

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2005
here
Try the Keychain!

Obvious (naive?) suggestion that I tried and worked in a similar deadlock:
trash some relevant preference
go to your keychain and erase the entry corresponding to the WEP password; it will ask you again next time.
This seemed to solve my issue (not sure which of the two, probably the second).

Sorry for the previous post; got sent by accident.

try as a newly created account so that you are sure that some badly set preference are not the problem.

geralpizar

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2007
Mexico
change SSID

Hi guy. I have gotten the airport work in a windows network. Use the next procedure, I hope is useful for you:

1.- Turn off your MAC BOOK
2.- Access the Gateway (router), as you now using
the internet exploirer and http://192.168.0.1 or something
3.- type the user and paswword
4.- change the SSID for your wireless network
5.- Save and apply the change, and reeboot the router.

6.- Turn on your MAC BOOK

Please help!
I am a comitted Mac switcher trying to put my lovely new MacBook onto the office Windows network. I can connect to the office wireless network (WEP key etc) and the little radar Icon in the menu bar lights up. However, I cannot get the MacBook to obtain an IP address via DHCP. I just keep getting the default self assigned address (169.....).

However, when I connect to the network via a cable using the built in ethernet connector, I get the DHCP address just fine and everything works OK.

Also, if I assign an IP address manually to the wireless card (checking it is a free address!) it accepts the settings but I cannot network, not even a basic ping of another machine on the local internal network (all our internal machines are using 10.0.0.x addresses and 255.255.255.0 sub net)

The DHCP server is not in the wirless router but is a Windows server machine.

This is driving me crazy. I have called Apple care and they just dont want to know because there is a Windows machine in the mix. I expected better from them, particulalrly as I have paid for Applecare!!

Many thanks
Mark

geralpizar

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2007
Mexico
Temporal solution

Hi guy.

Here you are a temporal solution for this:
1. Turn off your MAC BOOK PC
2. Change the SSID name for the wireless network
3. Turn on your MAC BOOK PC, this time the MAC BOOK should be
recognize the new wireless network, and should be working on.

As you know, for changing the SSID you must access your gateway (router)
just in your internet navegator type: http://192.168.0.1 or the IP for your
router, and follow the steps for setup. You must change all the SSID names in all the PC of the LAN, also.

I think, the real solution must be emited for the MAC people, because this
problem generate troubles and the clients became ungry sometimes and they
are right. This solutions just are like an aspirine, but they are not the final solution. Please MAC (apple) send the final solution. Maybe the problem is the airport hardware, or maybe the MAC OS X system, and don't know.

I hope this is useful for you.

usmc58xx

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2008
Use a packet sniffer and see exactly what is going on.

I have a problem with a D-link router at work and my mac and although I've yet to figure it out, I do have a helpful idea that might be able to find out what exactly your problem is. My mac tries to get an IP through DHCP and the d-link tells my mac that the addy that IT gave is already in use by another mac address, and lists it, although there is no computer on there, and we don't see the mac addy anywhere.

In any case, even trying a static IP won't work. If I try just to use my wired card, it still will not work. I have to connect with my wired card AND airport card at the same time, for the same IP and THEN it will connect. It's totally crazy.

1. Download Ethereal(wireshark for mac)

2. Install it

3. Set it up on a PC that can easily connect to the network.

4. Configure it for promiscious capture.

5. Capture packets from your ethernet.

Watch the sever and your mac, if it's too spammy you can add a filter on IPs , it will tell you what your mac is requesting and what the server is responding with. It's a bit more complicated, but it does help.

craigchapman

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2008
Fix for same or very similar problem

I have an ADSL2 connection with wireless access point (WEP Encryption). I've had the set up for a while with both my macbook and windows laptops connecting without any issues. I took my mac on holiday with me to an area that had no wireless networks and I did not connect to the internet at all for 2 weeks. When I came home, my mac would connect to my wireless but assigned it a default invalid IP address as it wasn't retrieving one via DHCP. I tried everything possible on the mac to get it to work to no avail. The only thing that fixed it was resetting my modem and wireless to default factory settings and reconfiguring with a new SSID and Channel number.

I've no idea what caused this issue but very frustrating and appears to be common from the number of threads on various forums.

HTH

y0jeremy

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2008
Try disabling encryption on the WAP; reconnect and see if you can surf/ping. Try process of elimination.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
You could always try using the hex WEP key as the password (and not the ASCII). Make sure to add a "$" to the front of the hex key, though.

craigchapman

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2008
My connection is fine now that I reset the wireless access point. Just letting others know how I resolved the problem as it seems common.

spammage

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2010
Diagnosis and possible workarounds

This post does not solve everyone's problems within this thread as there would seem to be at least 3 problems described. This post stays on topic and addresses only markogier's specific problem.

For possible solutions see list at bottom of this post.

I have had some 20 years experience as an I.T. professional so these facts are not opinion. Just facts.

The problem is due to the DHCP timeout in AirPort. Basically it doesn't wait long enough to receive an IP address so instead it does the most useless thing it can: make one up and pretend all is well.

I have experienced this problem now in two separate instances on two separate unrelated networks with entirely different configurations. In each case the industry leading technologies work fine, but the Macs don't.

The problem is seemingly due to network traffic at the DHCP server end (or some busy point in between the MAC and DHCP server more precisely). The DHCP server is unable to response within a timeout (which seems to be around 2-3 seconds) and thus the MAC assigns itself an IP address. The problem is predictably reproduceable.

Getting mad at Apple is pointless. The OP is attempting to set up a non-standard network, using a router in a role it wasn't designed to perform. Please stop wasting Apple's time. Not only did they not sell him this setup or promise him that it would work, nobody would sell him a router and guarantee it could be used like this. It's not Apple's fault he's having trouble with this and it's not their responsibility to fix the problem.

This is a typical example of useless, uneducated nonsense. There are clues contained within one of markogier's previous posts which clearly show that hardware (ie. the 'router' or 'AP') is NOT AT FAULT. Observe;

Just to be clear
1. This works fine if I connect an ethrnet cable to the MacBook
2. The DHCP over the wireless works fine on my Acer PC laptop running XP and other people using Sony or Dell PC paltops and XP are fine too.*
3. The MacBook connects wirelessly to my (D-Link) router at home perfectly and I get the IP address no problem. (At home I am using 192.168.2.x addressing)

[*emphasis added]

After reading point 2 above, the obvious question would be; If the 'router' is being used in a way in which it wasn't designed - why then would the Acers, Sonys or Dells of this world have no trouble accessing it? This point alone negates jtown's entire post. Suggesting the purchase of additional hardware for no good reason is just odd.

The actual problem being experienced would seem to be as described by possibly the only logical person in this particular forum, 'rdepom' who correctly describes an observed, real-world, recreatable problem. I'll reiterate his words for clarity (the entire post is well worth a read);

I am pretty sure that the problem is OS X's DHCP timeout. Basically it requests an IP address and if the server/router is too slow to respond it gives up and assigns itself one. The issue is that it's giving up too fast.

Interestingly this was rdepom's single and only contribution to this forum. He probably left because nobody else was on his level.

Funnily enough I came to find this thread/forum due to the google search "mac airport dhcp timeout" as I'd already come to this as the correct diagnosis. If one wishes to continue using MacOS is would appear your only solutions would be points 1 or 2 below. Unless of course you decide to create a different subnet on your network or start buying more hardware just to connect your Mac which of course is silly for so many reasons I shall not even start to list them.

The wireless connectivity problems are compounded with the inconsistent nature of the AirPort configuration panel itself. It has three bugs that I have found which involve not saving settings or retrieving settings which I've tried to delete. You may therefore find your problems are in both pots.

To solve the problem here, I simply waited until my colleague had finished copying files over the network. Once he had finished, I turned the airport off and then on. Problem solved for me. Although in the real world, one cannot rely upon this - in a corporate/work LAN for example there's always network traffic and you may not have sufficient authority to do anything about the topology of the network. If however I was in a high enough position of authority in the company I'd do one of two things (and have done):

1. Remove the Apple computers
2. Create a separate network not using DHCP and assign each machine manually (good solution actually).

I wish you all the best of luck with your continued support of Apple.

Problem: A bug in MacOSX/Airport
Solutions:

1. Use a network cable, not wireless
2. Locate where the DHCP timeout is specified (perhaps in a config file) and change it.
3. Wait until no network traffic exists and then connect.
4. Sometimes it's possible to specify your own DHCP + manual address but in practice it is not a solution but a workaround.
5. Use Windows or Linux.

Last edited:

Mr. EMan

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2003
The problem is seemingly due to network traffic at the DHCP server end (or some busy point in between the MAC and DHCP server more precisely). The DHCP server is unable to response within a timeout (which seems to be around 2-3 seconds) and thus the MAC assigns itself an IP address. The problem is predictably reproduceable.

Thanks. I believe that's the cause of the problem whenever I've run into this.

This happens quite a bit with Apple products here at work connecting to our public network. I usually come in early, and have no problems getting an IP assigned. If I have to connect in the afternoon, I'm fighting with everyone's smart phone or personal laptop. Sometimes I click "Renew DHCP Lease" under the TCP/IP tab, or sometimes it just eventually connects.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.