Airport Express 802.11ac update?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cassini007, Jan 28, 2015.

1. cassini007 macrumors member

Can anyone venture a guess as to when/if the Airport Express will be updated to support 802.11ac? It's been awhile, I think almost 2 years since the Airport Extreme got the update.

2. larrysing1963 macrumors regular

Here's my guess: they'll just come out with a newer device, no update. :apple:

3. cassini007 thread starter macrumors member

You mean come out with essentially the same device, no feature update (like what happened with the "space gray" iPod touch 5)?

4. Sherman Sherman macrumors newbie

Might be difficult to put AC into the envelope of the current express. I too would like to see this update.

5. MRxROBOT, May 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2016

MRxROBOT macrumors 6502

MRxROBOT

Probably falling on deaf ears figuring the last post was made 1 year, 3 months ago and the OP hasn't logged in in 6 months ;). In any case, I was having the same discussion in a more recent thread and it seems the Express is built perfect just the way it is. Sigh...

6. robgendreau macrumors 68030

No, they'll just update Airport Utility so it no longer works on more of the Airport Expresses. Like they did with 6 vs 5.6. Beware if you plan on buying one of these.

7. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I guess you missed the MacRumors article Airport Extreme and Time Capsule Out Of Stock ....

8. MRxROBOT macrumors 6502

MRxROBOT

9. cassini007 thread starter macrumors member

Nice to know that this post is still alive ;)

Well, there you have it folks. I'd be surprised if there isn't an update at WWDC.

10. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

If there is an update, it would have to be Zigbee integration, but that would be needed to be done throughout the Airport range. That's the only thing I can see with the potential to justify an update.

11. Glideslope Suspended

Glideslope

Time Capsule is Dead. New Extreme at WWDC. :apple:

12. calearne macrumors member

calearne

Nothing at WWDC. :(

Is Apple giving up on its network products?

The express needs AC and gig ethernet like yesteryear, and both express and extreme need USB3.0 or thunderbolt ports.

I need to do a complete network rebuild and I'm looking at luma or mesh networking since apple is stuck in the past.

13. Fishrrman macrumors G3

calearne wrote:
    "I need to do a complete network rebuild and I'm looking at luma or mesh networking since apple is stuck in the past."

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple's -next- "Airport" product is an eero or luma "mesh" design, perhaps with a few additional features...

14. macrescue911 macrumors newbie

I was thinking the same. It would be very Apple like to have an easy to use wifi mesh network which you can extend with airport express stations. All managed via a beautiful app.