Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skyton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2005
england
ive got an airport express but im short of the assistant software to set it up
i was wondering if anyone could let me know if its available anywhere?

thanks!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Assuming you've got a Mac:

I thought it came preinstalled in the Utilities folder so it might be on your system restore CDs that came with the Mac. My connection's a little fuzzy at the moment so I can't check to see if this is what you're looking for or not. It might just be a firmware update for the AirPort, sorry if it is. :(

If you've got Windows:

I couldn't find it on the Apple site, but see here.

BTW, can you find the CD that came with the Express? That'll have it too.

skyton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2005
england
hey

thanks for the reply, yes, im on a mac
im just using the express to stream itunes to my stereo
and the airport setup doesnt seem to want to let me do this
it wants to setup a base station for internet sharing

unfortunatly i dont have the cd
and cant find the express assistant anywhere online to download
i think thats the bit of software i need too!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Well, if you've already got the AirPort working, it might be the AirPort Admin Utility that you need. If the link I gave you before doesn't get you both the Admin Utility and the Setup Assistant, then I'm lost. Sorry.

What happens when you run Software Update? I'm almost certain these two apps come bundled into OSX (well, Tiger at least) in the Utilities folder and I wonder if the Software Updater will try to reinstall them.

skyton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2005
england
i havent got it working yet, i havent been able to set it up to just work to send music to my stereo
also, im on panther too
wonder if i can find someone with airport express who has the assistant software they could email me,
as the airport setup wont let me do anything

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Well, I just chucked my Express CD in and it came up with the same file that I linked to before here, only it's version 4.0 and not 4.1. If the linked file from Apple doesn't work, send me a PM and I'll email you my edition. :)

skyton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2005
england
now thats really confusing!
ive got the instructions, and all the way through it talks about a bit of softwards called "airport express assistant" which you use to set everything up

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah, ignore what I said before about the Admin Utility, I thought you already had a network set up. The Admin Utility is for modifying networks whilst the Set Up Assistant is for creating them from memory. I'm 99% sure the file you want is the one I linked to.

skyton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2005
england
yeah, ive tried the airport download you linked to, and it wont let me install it as it says i have another version already installed

if youve got the airport express setup guide booklet handy, its the thing on page 25-27 that i after

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah, well if your computer thinks you've already got it, and it's not in the Utilities folder, then have you tried doing a search in Finder for it? This is really weird, sorry if I'm not being very helpful. :(

skyton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2005
england
yeah, ive done a search
and no sign!
i deff think its the airport express assistant i need
do you have that in your utilities, or just the airport one?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I've got both here. I'd send you my installer but I doubt it'll get any further than the downloaded one. Alternatively, I could send you the whole app (only about 4MB) but I'm almost certain that wont work because generally apps that have an installer cannot be transferred from system to system. When you did the search, did it come up with other files? Maybe ditch them and then retry the installer. Alternatively, try setting the Express up using someone else's computer (Windows or Mac).

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I sent it but I'm pretty sceptical as to whether it'll work. When I attached it in Mail, it came up with the generic what-the-hell-is-this icon. Good luck. :)

blueyonder

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2005
can't see through the fog

skyton said:
yeah, ive tried the airport download you linked to, and it wont let me install it as it says i have another version already installed

if youve got the airport express setup guide booklet handy, its the thing on page 25-27 that i after

hi, is there any chance that you have sorted this one out and if so can you let me know how, i have exactly the same problem and i even have all of the software that came with the airport express.
blue

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
blueyonder said:
hi, is there any chance that you have sorted this one out and if so can you let me know how, i have exactly the same problem and i even have all of the software that came with the airport express.
blue

I emailed the app and it all worked dandy. PM me if you want me to email it to you too. :)

blueyonder

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2005
mad jew said:
Done. It should be a matter of just replacing your old assistant with the one I sent you. Hopefully it works, good luck. :)

thanks i recieved the goods, but for some reason in my case its not the "airport setup assistant" that's missing but the "airport express assistant", it has a little picture of an airport express instead of a signal strength indicator in the bottom righthand corner. is there any chance that you can send out this one as well. thanks again blue

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I don't have that one, sorry. I didn't even realise there was an alternative to the one I sent you. What happens when you try to set it up using the one I gave you?

blueyonder

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2005
hi, sorry for the delay (work) i have the airport set up for using the internet etc. but i can't set up my printer with it!!! i can't find the express assistant to partner the printer, could it be that i have overlooked something.....

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Just plug the printer in, no set up required. when you select to print something, it'll be the printer with the location name the same as your AirPort's name. :)

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
You don't need the Express set up CD - NOW PART OF THE AIRPORT UTIL IN OS

I was - too - very confused about this same issue when I ditched my Belkin and bought both: 1) an airport exteme base station and 2) an airport express.

The manual said "using the airport express setup" etc. - I looked for the CD - no CD. I was searching on line - couldn't find what I needed. I was about to return it when I found information that the "airport express" setup assistant was now part of the regular utility in the OS software under your utilities - not labled seperately for express. I'm on my thinkpad now, so I can't go and look at the exact name of it.

The apple documentation is confusing b/c it appears to pre-date the fact that the airport express is supported by the single airport utility that comes with the OS. Just go to that and plug in your express - scan for new and it will find it and guide you through set up. It knows its an express and will give you the screens in the admin utility to allow music streaming, etc.

I am very pleased with how much better my network works and how easy it is since ditching the non-apple wireless and going with the base station and the express - BUT APPLE DROPPED THE BALL ON THE DOCUMENTATION FOR THIS ONE BY NOT MAKING IT EASIER TO FIGURE OUT THAT THERE WAS NO LONGER A NEED FOR A SEPERATE EXPRESS CD AND THAT THE EXPRESS SET UP AND CONFIG WAS NOW SUPPORTED IN THE AIRPORT SOFTWARE THAT'S PART OF THE OS.

Hope that helps!!!

ChipSeraphine

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2005
Not quite-- I need the Express Setup Assistant too

Actually, law guy, you still need the Airport Express Setup Assistant if you want to configure multiple Airport Express units. At least, there is no way that I can figure out to do it otherwise.

I have the same problem that skyton has. I absolutely cannot get ahold of the Airport Express Setup Assistant script. It isn't in the Airport software, wasn't included in the CD that came along with either of my two Express units, and apparently cannot be downloaded from anywhere on the web. I am desperately hoping that someone will email me a copy of the silly thing so that I can get my second Express working.

Any kind souls out there willing to zip it up and send a copy to me, I'd really appreciate it! (spambait@seraphine.us)

skyton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2005
england
whoa!
just saw this thread again
thought it had died a deather ages ago!

i just ended up using the software sent over and resetting my express,
worked a treat
and has worked flawlessly every since

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.