Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Mac_Freak said:
I would still prefer using Mac mini as a home media center, just ad some bigger, faster hard drive to store all the content + Wireless KB and mouse and your set.

I think that the Mac Mini is a great start, but considering that most movies will eventually move to High Definition, it may not be up to the task. Multitasking HD movies while streaming iTunes separately while also allowing someone to browse the internet, may be beyond what it can do now.

hokka

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2003
Sydney
The Dock is the Key

I predict the new Dock will be the new AE receiver with video-out and the new iPod is the HD (plus portable player).

While the iPod has the power to decode movies to be displayed on a small screen, the dock has another processor that takes the content received from AE and dumps into the iPod to cache, then process the media and outputed to the TV via S-Video, Composite or DVI, and another Audio out on the dock can hook up to amps or speakers.

52_telecaster

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2005
I think the main point behind the Air Port express video out will be for displaying your photos stored on the ipod. You'll be able to sync your ipod with iphoto and all it's slide shows. Then, when you want to view your photos you can simply switch the input on your tv and view photos on it.

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
Peace said:
MPEG4 is soon to be history.H264 will become better and better..

you can't compare MPEG-4 and H.264, they're two entirely different things. H.264 is a codec, MPEG-4 is a protocol that describes various levels. H.264 is level 10 describing how video is encoded/decoded.

which is why MPEG-4 kicks so much ass over WMV.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I wish it will have a remote and can stream commands to the computer in the other direction, but the most important thing I'd like to see is an ethernet out jack. I just had to buy a Linksys portable wireless box instead of an Airport Express for this reason. Also sincerely hope this box has at least s-video capability, if not component or DVI (although there's probably not enough bandwidth for that).

scotty321

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2003
Here's what took place at Microsoft Headquarters today!

Here's what took place at Microsoft Headquarters today:

Gates: "Apple has a press conference on Wednesday October 12th."

Ballmer: "I've got all my men on it."

Gates: "WHATEVER they introduce at 10am, I want our company to start working on the copycat version of it at 10:01am."

Ballmer: "Of course, Master Satan."

Gates: "I want complete control of whatever market Apple creates & opens up on Wednesday October 12th."

Ballmer: "Whatever innovation Apple brings on Wednesday, we will copy it as closely & effectively as possible."

Gates: "Isn't it wonderful having the least expensive R&D lab in the world: Apple Computer?"

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
scotty321 said:
Here's what took place at Microsoft Headquarters today:

Gates: "Apple has a press conference on Wednesday October 12th."

Ballmer: "I've got all my men on it."

Gates: "WHATEVER they introduce at 10am, I want our company to start working on the copycat version of it at 10:01am."

Ballmer: "Of course, Master Satan."

Gates: "I want complete control of whatever market Apple creates & opens up on Wednesday October 12th."

Ballmer: "Whatever innovation Apple brings on Wednesday, we will copy it as closely & effectively as possible."

Gates: "Isn't it wonderful having the least expensive R&D lab in the world: Apple Computer?"

Kind of a weird, effed up version of 'The Screwtape Letters'. I dig it.

Airguitarist

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2005
What about a basestation/dock for an iPod that conects not only to a speaker system but to the TV as well? That way instead of having to mess around with dvds and cases and scratches and whatnot, you simply store all of you movies in the iPod. Want to watch a movie at a friends house? Just bring your ipod. Or, if you don't want to use the iPod as a middle-man, conect you mac mini or ibook to the basestation wirelessly.Buy movies through iTunes, upload and enjoy.

Wild speculation, but it just might work, and if anyone could make it work, it would be Steve Jobs.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
my feature request

sure a video link would be nice. but if I could make a feature request for the airport express (or other base stations, but the express would be most usefull for this I think)

I would love an (extra) USB/firewire port that could handle a flash drive or an external hard drive (or iPod).
Network Atttached Storage capabilities would be nice for home and work.
both on the go, or stationary.

I know it wouldn't make for a super duper file server, but that's not what I'd want it for, just to have access to some of the same files raguardless of what computer I'm on at home. then to be able to unplug the device and take it to school would be great !!

or heck, I could even live with the Airport Express having built in storgage. 1GB, 2GB, 1TB, 2TB ;) whatever, it would just be very useful (atleast for myself, and a few other friends I have)

zigziggityzoo

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2004
Ann Arbor, MI
DHagan4755 said:
That's weird. I don't think that 802.11g has the bandwidth to do video yet. What software application would be the conduit to stream to the Airport Express?

The current airport express allows for multi-channel communication (at 54 Mbits per channel). This means, if you use 2 channels, you can transfer at 108, 4 channels at 216, with a maximum of all 11 channels being used simultaneously.

davidwes

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2004
Remember when apple actually cared about imovie!!! Imagine the focus back on that. Your child does something, you videotape it, edit it in imovie, stream it to your tv to show the rest of your family!

MacSlut

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2002
Bar
Like the eyeHome only better (I hope)

Some of you people who think an Airport couldn't handle video should come over to my house sometime** and try watching a *DVD* stream wirelessly from my Mac to my EyeHome box while at the same time my network is transferring a TiVo show from one box to another (at about real-time), my Mac is downloading (legal) BitTorrents and iTunes is streaming music to my Airport Express connected to my stereo.

The EyeHome does iTunes and videos as well as iPhoto slideshows and even surfing the Web. The interface is clunky, but it *works* and has been available for some time. It's more of a "pull" device than a device that can be pushed "to" the way iTunes pushes to an Airport Express.

** Please don't actually come over to my house

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Elgato EyeHome

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this product. It's currently selling for $100, after a $100 rebate.

mac_hine82

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2005
I for one am super excited I cant wait till this thing comes out. One problem is I already own a Airport Express. I hope that It works as a repeater so it don't go to waste. My TV is no were near my phone line for my DSL so if the express would send the signal to the video express that would be GREAT!

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Xtremehkr said:
I think that the Mac Mini is a great start, but considering that most movies will eventually move to High Definition, it may not be up to the task. Multitasking HD movies while streaming iTunes separately while also allowing someone to browse the internet, may be beyond what it can do now.

If the mac Mini, a (now 1.5ghz) computer cannot process H.264, there's no way a device like the current Airport Express will be able to do it better.

ebunton

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2004
Sydney
Apple's going to establish itself strongly in the nascent movie-via-internet market by going in this direction.

It's clear that in the following years, DVDs will go the direction of CDs. Apple has a iTunes store to replace CD sales, and will have another store to replace DVD sales.

I think they have a great business strategy. Wow.

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
daveL said:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this product. It's currently selling for $100, after a $100 rebate.

On that line of thinking, I'm surprised Apple hasn't bought ElGato by now and incorporated their technology into the mac itself. iTV or something of that nature. They've got the cash, and elgato has a functioning finished product.

ariza910

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2002
So Cal
Chupa Chupa said:
It doesn't. BUT 802.11n, which is the next standard, does. Many companies already have "pre-n" routers out. The next Airport products will be "pre-n" and probably firmware upgradable to "n" once its officially adopted.

802.11g most certainly does have the bandwidth to do video, just look at the eyeHome from Elgato

I have been using the EyeHome to stream movies and tv shows for well over a year now, it works great, the software leaves something to be desired.

Cant wait for a product from Apple with their usual polish and antention to detail

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
pdpfilms said:
If the mac Mini, a (now 1.5ghz) computer cannot process H.264, there's no way a device like the current Airport Express will be able to do it better.
You could have said the same thing about MPEG-2 a few years ago, but now you can buy a $29 DVD player that handles decoding it well. ATI has already announced that their next rev. of GPUs will support hardware acceleration of MPEG4/DiVX/H.264. These kind of chips will also be needed for the next generation DBS systems in the US which are migrating to MPEG4, as well as HD-DVD/Bluray.

Maybe Apple just bought a whole lot of them like the nano's Samsung flash memory?

B

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
zigziggityzoo said:
The current airport express allows for multi-channel communication (at 54 Mbits per channel). This means, if you use 2 channels, you can transfer at 108, 4 channels at 216, with a maximum of all 11 channels being used simultaneously.

Eh, but there is overlap. So you are limited to channels 11, 9, 7, 5, 3, and 1, and if you use all those at once you get nasty interference. (3 channel overlap, so if you are on 11 you are also on 10 and 12, but 12-14 are not used in the U.S.) And if someone has one of those damn "ultra super duper G" routers you can't get a constant signal worth a crap.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Darn, I just bought a Airport Express about 20 days ago! :mad:
What are the chances of Apple letting me bring it back and trade it in for a new, updated one?

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Would Apple really make it Video Airport Express. I'm assuming then, one would put videos on thier computer, via Combo/Superdrive. What is stopping me from getting Netflix and having all of the DVD's I ever wanted, virtually for free?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.