Airport Express x2: n + g speeds on one network?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gcoghill, Dec 28, 2009.

1. gcoghill macrumors member

gcoghill

I have an old (b/g) Airport Express. Both of my Macs have n-capable wireless cards. The iPhone is g-only.

I'd like to be able to set up a network where my Macs can access the network (and internet) via a new Airport Express n-capable router -- wirelessly -- and then use the old b/g Airport Express to 'extend' the wireless network to the slower b/g devices (iPhone, Wii) without dragging down the main "n" network to the b/g speeds.

On top of all this, I want all the devices to be able to see each other (Primarily just the Macs & the iPhone). Macs on the N network, iPhone on the G.

Is this even possible with 2 Airport Expresses? From my searching, it seems "bridge mode" is what I need to do. But all the descriptions referred to Extreme + Express setups.

I am trying to avoid buying the Airport Extreme as I have no need for any of the other features.

Basically I want to increase my local network speeds for Mac-to-Mac EyeTV recorded video streaming and file transfer etc. I am hoping I can bridge the older Airport Express and set up a network where all devices can see each other (iPhone can connect to the 2 Macs etc.) but the G devices don't slow down the N devices.

Is this possible with 2 Airport Express routers, one b/g and one n?

2. MacAttack888 macrumors newbie

madog posted s great guide the other day (link) that tells you how to set you a new AirPort Extreme with an N-only 5ghz band and a b/g/n 2.4ghz band. Your n devices will only join the 2.4ghz band if the 5ghz one is out of reach. I followed his steps and it's working great for me. My MBP connects to my 5ghz N-only network while my iPhone connects to the 2.4ghz band.

3. gcoghill thread starter macrumors member

gcoghill

Looks like a great walkthrough for Airport Extreme users, however I am attempting to do this with two Airport Express routers.

I may just order the n Express and see what I can figure out myself. Regardless, I want the n speeds and if I can't figure out the sidecar g network stuff, no biggie I guess.

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

yes it will work, although you say extend, which normally refers to wirelessly extending, which won't work (and keep the speeds like you want to), you will have to run an ethernet cable to both of the expresses.

You will need a router "upstream" of the expresses to maintain your network security. so if you don't have one, look at a N capable one of those instead of the express, or a cheap non-wireless router and an express.
    this is why the examples all use an extreme, it has ethernet outs to connect the express to.

i have a linksys (running dd-wrt) and a N express, works great. I can use the iPhone on the G to control itunes on my laptop on the N.

5. AmsterdamG5 macrumors newbie

N + G in one network

Hi waw74!

Thanks for your interesting posting. Particularly what you tell about your N-network and controlling iTunes with G-iPhone...

But tell me, when you have your G-iPhone connected to your N-network, just to control you music, for instance, does your network speed drop to G?

I just got my N-network up with an old G5 using a 3rd party PCI card and N-Express. That works fine. But I'm planning a similar thing - having my music via the N-network to my stereo - and my roof. But am wondering if then using a G-iPhone will slow the network down...

Thanks for your comments on the above.

Regards,
    AmsterdamG5

6. gcoghill thread starter macrumors member

gcoghill

Thanks for the clarification. I suspected that I was going to be out of luck trying to do this with 2 Expresses.

I am glad I haven't purchased the n Express yet, might be best to just go for the Extreme. My luck with non-Apple routers is terrible so I will probably stick with the Extreme since I have had good luck with the Express.

I should be able to do everything I am trying to do with the Extreme and the b/g Express, correct? In fact from the earlier link in this thread, it seems the Extreme should do everything I want it to - correct?

7. waw74 macrumors 68030

It doesn't connect to the N network.
    I have 2 networks, a G network from the linksys, and an N network from the express.

8. AmsterdamG5 macrumors newbie

G + N - two networks

Thanks waw74!

I just missed the obvious - having to networks. Stupid me. :cool:

Thanks for the clarification, makes me able to sleep my nights much better!

Regz,
    AmsterdamG5