Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Madmax1977

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2007
Auckland, NZ
How did it go?

Whats the software like?

Had a long weekend (middle of nowhere with no power etc) so only installed it all last night. Software seems good, default is an ultra easy way of setting up an AP, however if you want to control the access and other advanced features you need to swap to advanced view...still nicer than the old version. I really only wanted this so I could run the two Macs using a USB HD to backup both to the one location..that works great...obviously not as fast as the FW800 connection I usually use for this...but I'll take convenience over speed any day!!!
Just need to see if they are going to release an Airport card to support 802.11n in earlier Macs, my MBP is CD so can't test that side of things yet...

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
i was hoping you could answer a question for me... i download torrents often and i was wondering if you can use the port forwarding feature on an AE just like you can on a Linksys router to make for a faster download.
Yeah, you can setup port forwarding like you do on your LinkSys, or you can enable a feature called "NAT Port Mapping Protocol". Some torrent programs (like Azureus) can use that to open ports on your firewall on the fly, so you don't have to worry about setting up static port forwarding yourself.

Latino4Me

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2003
... you can enable a feature called "NAT Port Mapping Protocol". Some torrent programs (like Azureus) can use that to open ports on your firewall on the fly, so you don't have to worry about setting up static port forwarding yourself.

I tried it and it does not work. When I to go Azureus/NAT Test it tells me : NAT Error - Connection to ***.***.***.***:65535 refused. ( I relaced my ip of course). Can anyone help with configuring Base station so that Azureus can properly work with this port forwarding, please?
Thanks!

heisetax

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2004
Omaha, NE
Not connecting

The enabler utility is included on the CD that's in the box. It installs with the new Airport Utility and whatever else is on there. I noticed it specifically. What I can't figure out is how to verify that my MBP is indeed now running N protocols on N frequencies...

I have an Intel Mac Pro. My Apple N Router came today. I ran the programs on the encolsed CD. The Mac says that the N Router has a very good signal, but I have been unable to connect to this new wireless network. I also can not connect with my wife's MDD PPC with a G PCI Card in it.

My old router will still work with either computer system.

I'll be unplugging the new N Router & wait until things slow down around here or May 1, whichever comes first. Back to work.

Unconnected,

Bill the TaxMan

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I tried it and it does not work. When I to go Azureus/NAT Test it tells me : NAT Error - Connection to ***.***.***.***:65535 refused. ( I relaced my ip of course). Can anyone help with configuring Base station so that Azureus can properly work with this port forwarding, please?
Thanks!
Don't know if these screenshots will help, but for what it's worth:

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    48.7 KB · Views: 223
  • Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    72.4 KB · Views: 133
  • Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    46 KB · Views: 783

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Mines just shipped today, brought forward by 3 weeks!. Thats just awesome. However, im not sure if people are liking the base station because there's no Gigabit connection and 802.11n is ONLY 2.5x faster in the UK compared to 5x faster in the US.

Still can't come up with an explanation for that one.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
Mines just shipped today, brought forward by 3 weeks!. Thats just awesome. However, im not sure if people are liking the base station because there's no Gigabit connection and 802.11n is ONLY 2.5x faster in the UK compared to 5x faster in the US.

Still can't come up with an explanation for that one.
Government regulations are the reason the 802.11n wireless is faster in the US when compared to the UK.

Chosenbydestiny

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2006
California
Ah crap, I bought my macbook back in november when they first upgraded to core 2 duo. I probably dont have an N card right? I checked the computer info area and it didn't say.

stayanchi

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2007
More Help

I am having difficulty with getting my NAT in the green and even though i have mapped the port i still get a firewalled reading and yellow dht? Any help would be much appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.