Airport Extreme and the 7.4.1 update, Help....

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MarkSTi04, Mar 6, 2009.

1. MarkSTi04 macrumors regular

I downloaded the update for my Airport Extreme and installed it last night. After I did this I noticed that wirelessly it times out on both my MacBook Pro and on my iPhone. Im not sure to why this is, but before the update it worked great. I didnt have any problems with the range it broadcast at or anything.

I went into the settings today and see what I was doing. Its set on 802.11n (802.11b/g compatable) which I think I had it set up as before. My question is why would this update make my Airport turn into almost worthless paper weight? Its only 2 months old.

Any help would be great.

2. MarkSTi04 thread starter macrumors regular

I also notice that when I am connected wirelessly to the airport extreme it doesnt stay connected for long. I just noticed my airport icon showing no connection, so I had to get a long patch cord out and connect to the base station. Im not liking this at all...

3. wesg macrumors regular

wesg

You should be able to revert to an earlier firmware version to see if that fixes it.

For my part, my Airport disk has vanished after applying the 7.4.1 update. I've restarted multiple times, turned the router off, unplugged the disks, turned it back on and plugged in the drives and nothing has worked.

4. MarkSTi04 thread starter macrumors regular

It's not letting me revert to an earlyer version of the firmware. I think Im gonna try to restore it to factory settings and reset it up again. If that doesnt work I dont know what to do. I would hate to have to buy another one just because the firmware screwed it up... :rolleyes:

5. Zonyc macrumors member

I'm having the same problem after the update. I have a drobo and and an additional 2tb external for time machine, both are now unresponsive on my windows machines. Time machine is giving me weird errors as well

Restarting, unplugging, even formatting a new 500 gig drive and putting it into a new enclosure did not fix this issue.

6. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

Looks like the majority of people including myself have this issue

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1930336&tstart=0

I flashed back to the previous firmware and am working back on my 802.11n(802.11b/g compatible) network.

To flash back to a previous working firmware:

open AIRPORT UTILITY then select your base station
    click the BASE STATION dropdown tab at the top of your screen
    Select UPLOAD FIRMWARE
    you should then be able to select previous firmware's

7. MarkSTi04 thread starter macrumors regular

I reverted to the previous firmware and its working like its suppose to be now. :eek:
    Looks like Apple is gonna have to fix there update and have another one to fix this one.

8. WHM macrumors regular

I updated the airport utility(5.4.1) and firmware software(7.4.1) on a Time Capsule..Airport Extreme and Airport Express all units about a year old. All of the units are (n) sofware and were the newest unit until the ones released this week. HAVING A BIG PROBLEM WITH TIME MACHINE BACKUP.. SYSTEM NOW MUCH SLOWER AND NOT HAPPY. Should have waited until all the bugs were worked out. Only way to back up now is to wire up to the Time Capsule.. will not do it wireless???? What's the problem?

9. MarkSTi04 thread starter macrumors regular

Revert to the older firmware. Thats about the only thing you can do at this point till apple fixes there bug in the latest update.

10. minik macrumors 65816

I updated both my AirPort Extreme and AirPort Express with the 7.4.1 firmware last night. It went well and I did a couple screen captures of my setting before updating them. AirDisk works before and after.

11. Sammy3 macrumors newbie

I experienced the same problem. After 3 hours of rebooting, checking etc. I finally found out that the settings of the wireless function were back to standard settings, while I changed these when I bought the device. Weird that the update doesn't leave the settings alone or point you at it...after changing the name of the wireless station to the original name and the channel back to a less disturbing channel it was okay... now it works flawless...except that I cannot open Excel files at my external harddrive with my PC that has a wired connection to the AE...weird...

If someone knows how to make this work again...I would appreciate it...

Thanks,
    Sam

12. WHM macrumors regular

After two days of trying to get the software (7.4.1) to work ....gave up. Went back and reloaded the older version (7.3.2) and everything is working PERFECTLY!! I have the Time Capsule hooked directly to my cable line... Airport Extreme hooked up to extend the wireless network downstairs. Airport Express usb to my printer to wireless print and the network is Perfect.. strong signal through a large house and internet speed twice as fast as the "new software" SOMETHING UP WITH THIS NEW SOFTWARE BIG TIME!!!

P.S. Time Machine also works as before..

13. Sammy3 macrumors newbie

Allthough I had connection again I couldn't reach my Excel files via my PC on the external disk (WD Mybook) which is connected to the AE (see my post 2 posts back). After reading WHM's post (and others) I decided to see if going back to an earlier firmware would help. And it did! I can reach and write Excel files to my disk again! 7.3.2. is my current firmware again.

This is the first time I experience serious issues with an Apple update...seems like they didn't really tested this! 7.4.1. is crap!

Thank yall!
    Sam

14. brettatredback macrumors newbie

Hi - gotta say that 7.4.1 really sux. I didn't know how easy it would be to go back in firmware, so I am going to try that. Ever since upgrading, my network which was rock stable including a slingbox, is slow, spotty and unreliable.

Question is - do you have to revert the admin utility also?

15. MarkSTi04 thread starter macrumors regular

No. The Airport Utility stays the same. But you have to use Airport Utility to make the change back to 7.3.2

16. matthb macrumors newbie

Okay, I'm screwed.

Open Network from Sys Pref panel and I get a dialog box that says "Your network settings have been changed by another application" Press okay and the box just keeps popping up, ad infinatum. I have to click okay and cmd-q quickly to get out of the loop.

Open Airport Utilities, select base station, drop-down menu to Update Firmware and a dialog box tells me I need a newer version of Airport Utility (I just went to Apple and downloaded the latest version). It says if I continue it may damage the station blah blah. Press continue anyway and repeat steps to update firmware. Dialog box says "An error occurred -4"

I recall having the same type of issue (Newer version of Airport Utils) last time my ISP did some work. Now I connect on my desktop via Ethernet (cabled through the Airport) and my Powerbook can't even find the Base Station, though its little green light is glowing happily. I know from previous experience the ISP won't do anything to help. Any other way to revert to previous firmware?

17. MarkSTi04 thread starter macrumors regular

If you can connect to the AEBS through Airport Utility you might be able to change back to the previous version of the firmware. What does the Airport Utility tell you about the base station when you bring it up? You might have to hard restart the base station and see if that helps. Maybe even reset it. That should take it back to its original settings and you will have to set it up again. But this way you will know if its totally messed up.

I hope this helps...

18. matthb macrumors newbie

It tells me the IP address and the Airport ID #. If I hold the cursor over the AEBS icon it floats a yellow box that has the IDv4 number and IDv6 #. A hard restart is unplugging/replugging, right? The reset is the pin button on the back? I just don't want to lose my desktop connection, too. I know there are other DNS settings and such, but I can't see them, because of the aforementioned "your network settings have been changed by another application" box that keeps popping up no matter what I do. If I click OK and then cmd-q I can get out, but I can't read any of the Network settings.

19. MarkSTi04 thread starter macrumors regular

You can turn off your airport on your Mac in the Network Preferences tab. Do that, but make sure your connected to your airport through an ethernet cable.

Then go into the Airport utility and see what it does. I would think by turning off Airport on one or both machines you should be able to get into the Airport through Airport Utility and revert to an earlyer firmware version.

How long have you had your airport?

Yes, reset is the small pin button in the back. Hard Restart is pulling the power waiting 15 seconds then plugging it back in.

20. matthb macrumors newbie

The network prefs for the desktop (the desktop is ethernet wired through the airport to the router) doesn't show the AE. The Airport Utils shows the router, sees it, restarts it, but won't let me configure it. It says I need a newer version of Airport Utils (of which there isn't one). I'm either going to reset it or wait for a bug fix. The Airport Utilities just puts me throuh a loop saying "Select Airport to Config", and when I do that it loops me back to where the AEB is unselected.

Thanks to everyone for the input. No thanks to Apple.

21. MarkSTi04 thread starter macrumors regular

Check software update for airport utility 5.4.1. I had that downloaded first before the 7.4.1 firmware update was released. I think these 2 were released like a day or two apart from each other. I know I updated the PC with airport utility 5.4.1 before I installed the crappy 7.4.1 on the AEBS. Then I went back on the MacBook Pro to revert to 7.3.2

22. matthb macrumors newbie

Somehow I got it to stop the endless loop and was able to revert to previous firmware. I now have my network back.

It's not as bad as being without water and sewer, but it still sucks.

Thanks to everyone who had the answers!

23. vexedone macrumors newbie

thanks johny5

Thanks , tried your solution and it works like a charm.

24. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

Seen as though Apple havent really addressed this (as yet) I wondered if there really was an issue or if there was a way to get the newer firmware working.

I managed to update both my Airport Extreme and Airport Express base stations to the latest 7.4.1 and all is working:

Opened AIRPORT UTILITY
    selected the AIRPORT and then selected FILE - SAVE A COPY AS
    then save a copy of your config file somewhere like the desktop.
    Update your firmware to 7.4.1
    Reconnect to your base station and then perform a reset in Airport Utility (BASE STATION, RESTORE DEFAULT SETTINGS..)
    Reconnect to the newly named based station and then click FILE, IMPORT and select the file you saved earlier
    Tick ALL the boxes then click OK

you should now have a fully functioning base station like before but now with the latest firmware.

25. minik macrumors 65816

I finally managed to get my 2-day old Time Capsule working with the current 7.4.1 firmware. Before visiting the Mac Genius, I kept going to the manual setup route and typed in the old config from my AirPort Extreme base station. The result was either couldn't get to the Internet or lose in the AirPort Utility.

The Mac Genius told me to follow the guide and let the program walked me through. 12 hrs later, my Time Capsule is still working.