Airport Extreme Base (n) frequency

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
Does anyone know what frequency it uses 2.4GHz or 5GHz spectrum on the new AEBS. As I'm looking to pick one up to replace my belkin router. Also any problems that you guys see or have with it since it was released

L3X

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2006
Chesapeake, VA
Does anyone know what frequency it uses 2.4GHz or 5GHz spectrum on the new AEBS. As I'm looking to pick one up to replace my belkin router. Also any problems that you guys see or have with it since it was released
I bought one recently, but haven't used it yet since i'm waiting on my MBP. Will let you know when i get it working though, prob. mid next week.

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
I bought one recently, but haven't used it yet since i'm waiting on my MBP. Will let you know when i get it working though, prob. mid next week.
K LMK how you like it. As I like to know what kinda range it has

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
It can use either. It uses 801.11a @ 5GHz, 802.11b/g @ 2.4GHz, and then when it uses 802.11n, it can use either (or both?). But the few reviews I've seen where people tested out 5GHz expecting it to provide a big improvement in range or speed were disappointed to find out that this did not obtain....

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
You can set it to use either band, in "n" only mode.

edit: When using 5GHz band, it is "n" only. Compatibility modes use 2.4GHz.

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
Well that helps in my decision. Here is another question which I just want to make sure it works on my setup. As for the Ethernet ports on it can you use a cross connect cable to add more port to a switch/hub. Since it only has three ports available...

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Well that helps in my decision. Here is another question which I just want to make sure it works on my setup. As for the Ethernet ports on it can you use a cross connect cable to add more port to a switch/hub. Since it only has three ports available...
It can use either straight through or crossover using Auto-MDIX.