Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I am already paying the leasing fee. It's like $10 a month I think.
I'd get your own modem, why pay Comcast any more money then ought too. I suppose you can put it in bridge mode, but you definitely should be able to turn off the wireless. Tbh, I've never configured a Cable Modem, putting it into bridge mode, and then letting another router downstream to handle the DNS.

I would go ahead and ditch the Comcast modem all together and go buy your own modem
That's what I do.

I am leaning toward buying one. The SurfBoard SB6183 is a good one?
I never heard of that, but make sure its Docsis 3.0 compatible, though it looks like Docsis 3.1 is out, though I don't know if Comcast embraces that standard.

Reactions: Altemose

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Everyone with an ISP should be using their own modem! Just go to your ISP and look for compatible modems! This way you will save money no having to pay a monthly rental fees. Don't believe me then just look at your monthly bill!

Plus don't fall the ISP VOIP phone! You can port numbers and give you much more more features with a third party provider! ;)

Reactions: Weaselboy

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net

Yes... it is on their approved list and works well. I'm using that model with Time Warner Cable and it works just fine.

Best Buy usually has them in stock and they will price match Amazon's $99. It will pay for itself in under a year.

To the op: Weaslboy is correct! Plus check out some third party providers and compare their extras by using the web site TopVoipList.com!

Reactions: Weaselboy

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Shut down the modem and the AirPort. Boot up the modem and allow for all lights to appear correctly. Then insert a paperclip into the reset hole on the back of the AirPort, plug it into power, and hold it until the status light blinks rapidly. Then release and reconfigure in AirPort Utility. You need the AirPort to be in DHCP & NAT mode for this to work. The SB6121 is a simple modem that I use myself at home and it simply passes one IP through to the router. The router then has the job of creating a local area network and assigning IPs.

Strangely enough, I had to go through this entire process again today. No changes on my end, so I wonder if Comcast did something funky to fsk-up my connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.