Airport Extreme Base Station Windows Only?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tharrel1, Jul 8, 2010.

1. tharrel1 macrumors newbie

Hello I have a quick question. I am planning on making the switch from PC to MAC sometime next year. I am in need of upgrading my current wireless G router now. I currently have Windows 7 and XBOX 360 on my home network. I have been reading great reviews for the base station but am unsure of how it will play with a windows only network for the time being. I know the specs say it's compatible but have read some reviews that some functionality will be lost? Any one have any first hand insight concerning this? Should I go ahead and make the purchase or just hold off until I get my mac book?

Thanks everyone I just want to make sure I will have no issues before shelling out ~ $200 for a router.

2. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

Since the Airport Base Stations use industry-standard communications methods, they work fine with Windows, Linux, or pretty much any operating system or device.

Additionally, the base station can be administered from Windows using the Windows client, found here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120273

-Aaron-

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Airport Express works on both Mac and PC and it's best known for it's ease of use and setup just like most Apple products. You won't have any problem.

Hope this helps.

4. govols12 macrumors newbie

Aiport Express and Printer

I have successfully setup my network with my AE. I want to set up my printer with my AE as well. My question is ..Do ihave to keep a prionter connected permananly to the AE for it to work wirelessly? My AE is setup in the living room and I dont want to keep my printer in there.

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

The USB port on the Express is for printers that are not capable of WiFi networking. In other words, it takes non-networkable USB printers and makes them networkable. If your printer has WiFi, there is no need to connect it physically to the Express in the first place. Just set it up as a WiFi printer.

6. tharrel1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Bought and set up my extreme yesterday. No problems at all! Got it up in around 10 minutes. Hooked in my external usb hard drive too. How do I set the drive letter for the drive? Right now it gets mapped to z: and my Itunes library is set for G:.. Not a huge deal guess I can change my library drive if need be.

Iphone4--check
    Airport Extreme--check
    Mac-book Pro-- Hopefully soon.