Airport Extreme: can't print to networked printer

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Scenicroadways, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Scenicroadways macrumors regular

I bought a new extreme router, and hooked the HP network printer up, and now I can see it in the print prefs, but cant seem to print. Anyone know how to fix this? I have tried HP support but they don't seem to be much help.

thanks..

2. Scenicroadways thread starter macrumors regular

looks like I needed to hook the printer up through USB to the extreme, rather than ethernet. I don't know why it won't work with ethernet though. shoudlnt it?

3. Italchef macrumors 6502

I believe that the only way you can share anything with the Airport Extreme Base Station, be it a printer or external hard disk, is through the USB port on it.
    Having said that, you may encounter some problems. I have a Epson printer that I have networked and I can print to it from both Macs in my house. The problem occurs when I try to check the ink levels in the printer. The Mac fails to be able to view the ink levels or run any of the diagnostic tools bundled in the software. Plugging the USB directly into the my new iMac's keyboard enables me to see and run all diagnostics.
    The other "glitch" that I run into occasionally is that sometimes the Mac will see the printer but I just get a "connecting..." message in the printer's window and then nothing. To correct this I must hard boot the Airport Extreme Base Station. I don't know if anyone else has encountered this.
    Hope this helps you out,

Mick

4. basset hound macrumors newbie

Getting my printer to work is the least of my problems. I can't even get my Airport Extreme Base Station to connect to my SpeedStream so that I can connect to the Internet.:mad:

5. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Not true as I have a lexmark network printer connected to my airport extreme though ethernet. Are you sure you have the right drivers installed? Can you ping the printer and can you give us more info on your setup.

6. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Have you called Speedstream about this yet. Any blinking lights on the AEBS.

7. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Not so, any network device that can be seen through any other router/switch can be accessed through the AEBS Ethernet ports.

I have an HP LJ2600n, Brother MFD, & a G5 iMac wired, and the MB, company Dell, Wii, Xbox360, & iPhone wireless. Not a lick of problem with any of them

8. Scenicroadways thread starter macrumors regular

Yea, the drivers were already installed, because the same printer was hooked up to a linksys wireless router for 3 years before we got the airport extreme so the computers were already set up for this specific printer. I couldn't print with the PC's on the network either, and the PC coudlnt even find the printer on the network. Only the macs could find them, but not print. The USB solution should hopefully suffice.

9. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Ok I think I know what your problem is. Is your ip address 192 168 x.x on the printer if it is you need to change it to 10.x.x.x As your AEBS is using 10.x.x.x

10. apachie2k macrumors 6502

apachie2k

this might seem obvious, but i have to ask, is it mac compatible?

11. Scenicroadways thread starter macrumors regular

Yes it was 192.168 etc.. So changing the ip of the printer to something like 10.x.x.x would solve the problem? (networking is not my strongest area of expertise)

This setup is at my father in laws house... i somehow screwed up his whole linksys wireless network by hooking up the airport extreme to the linksys (to make my own network alongside his). I don't know what happnd but the linksys router went haywire and wouldn't connect to the internet at all, even after a reset, and even after i disconnected my airport.

12. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

YES as I had the same problem as you, but I figured it out months ago.... Just make sure is on the same subnet.

PLEASE post back on your out come

13. Scenicroadways thread starter macrumors regular

so once i put them on the same subnet by changing the ip of the printer, the PC's AND macs on the network should be able to browse the network and find the printer?

14. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Yes. Open up cmd on your pc and type in ipconfig. This will give you the ip address the pc is using. Then this will give you your range of ip address to use for the printer..

15. Scenicroadways thread starter macrumors regular

thanks alot for the help. I am going to hold off on trying the ethernet approach for now, since the USB solution worked and i don't want to screw up his network even more than i did. (explained in above post)

thanks again though, now I know and will eventually get around to fixing it.

16. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Dude it real easy to do. Like I said I had the same issue with my Lexmark printer and Lacie NAS drive. As soon as I changed ip address it work fine. All my machines now run 10.x.x.x.

17. Italchef macrumors 6502

I stand corrected. I'll have to try that out.
    Thanks! :)

18. Scenicroadways thread starter macrumors regular

What do I change the subnet mask to on the printer? Thanks for the help, I am finally trying to fix this..

19. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Open up airport utility and look at your subnet mask and copy the same into your printer. Also change the ip address in the printer to 10.x.x.x

20. Scenicroadways thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks alot for the help. This seemed to fix all my problems. I had the printer hooked up to the airport using USB, and I kept getting errors when printing, and sometimes it would only print a quarter of a page. The USB printing seems to still have some bugs. I installed Bonjour on the PC's and it was able to find the printer easily when networked.

For the subnet mask, I just copied the one i saw in ipconfig using a PC that was hooked up to the printer, and that seemed to work for now, even though its different than the one i see in the airport utility.

really appreciate the help.

21. bezeqboy macrumors newbie

My apologies for resurrecting this year old thread. I am, however, having the same issues.

I have a b/g Airport Express (AX). I have my HPLJ 2100 TN plugged into the ethernet port of the AX. I telneted into the JetDirect and set the IP to be 192.168.1.30 and the subnet mask to be 255.255.255.0 (same as my linksys). I set the default gateway as 192.168.1.1, which is my Linksys.

I am unable to ping or print to 192.168.1.30 (the LJ printer).

Thanks, folks. This has been a multihour event. I bought the AX thinking it could do this much easier.

22. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

As far as I know the ethernet port on the airport express is not intended for hooking up printers and such because then it would have to bridge between the ethernet and the wireless to have the devices plugged into the ethernet be available on the network. The ethernet port is so that you can hook up the airport express to an existing wired network and create a wireless access point. there is a usb port on the express that was intended for usb printing sharing though.

23. cotton70 macrumors newbie

Airport Extreme and Network Printer Problems

I have been using a Linksys Wireless Access Point, a Motorola DLS Modem, and a Linksys Router. The Router quit so I got an Airport Extreme. Then I went out of town. When I returned the modem was bad. I think it was going bad when I left. So I got another Motorola AT&T Modem. I have an HP LaserJet 8150N, an HP Color LaserJet 2840 and an HP DesignJet 500 connected to my LAN. Wirelessly I connect my iPad, iPhone and Macbook and my wife's PC Notebook to the network.

Internet access and e-mail work fine. I can see the printers in my Printers under Preferences, but I cannot print to them. I have tried changing from the 192.168.1.85 type address for the printers to a 10.0.1.15 type address with no change in results.

I resent the Airport and set it up bridged the second time. No different.

Can anyone help me with this?

24. MH1972, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2013

MH1972 macrumors newbie

Mi. I am having the similar issues to the original post.

I have three Airport Extremes (all in Bridge Mode) connecting (via DHCP) to Netgear Router that is providing DHCP starting with 192.168.0.1. I have my Ricoh 2020D MFP plugged into the ethernet port of the last AE that is extending the network to the back of the house. I have always been told by Ricoh technicians to set the manual IP (currently 192.168.0.50 which is reserved by the router). The subnet mask to be 255.255.255.0 (same as my router). I set the default gateway as 192.168.0.1.. all settings were working fine when the MFP was connected to the first AE that was ethernet wired to the router. Problem is only now that I have moved the MFP and ethernet connected it to extended network AE.

I am unable to ping or print to 192.168.0.50 (the Ricoh 2020D printer).

Have retried usual Add Printer setup which is: Add > IP > LDP > 192.168.0.50 (currently just hangs not seeing the printer). Normally the printer name appears and the correct driver is shown at the bottom as Use: Ricoh 2020D Driver.

Thanks for any help. Have been without printer & scan to email function for a couple of days now.

Attached Files:

25. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

192.168.0.xxx and 192.168.1.xxx are in different networks. Unless you have configured something to route between the two networks nothing in one will be able to see the other...