Airport Extreme + Express + Bridge Mode?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lionheartednyhc, Sep 18, 2011.

1. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

So I just moved into a new apartment that is much larger than the last. My extreme does a decent job of supplying WiFi but the signal will drop in half toward the other end of the house (the apartment is a long "Railroad" style house)

Someone recommended using an express in bridge mode to extend the network. I don't understand how this would work, either theoretically or in practice.

I have the express set up in bridge mode, and have not noticed an improvement in signal at all (if anything, it got worse). Am I doing something wrong? I don't understand how it would work anyways, if the connection is ****** how is is going to make it better?

Thanks for the help.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

You have to set up both the Extreme and Express for WDS. The Extreme would act as the master. When they're setup, you will connect through whichever access point has the better signal automatically. You'll always stay on the same wifi connection as you have set on the master (the Extreme).

Note: I believe the Express needs to be the "n" model to support network extension. Bridged mode only connects the Express to an existing network to support AirPlay, and/or act as a access point without routing.

The user manuals for both should have enough info on how to get it setup. For additional info, see http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4259