Airport Extreme (+ISP supplied Modem) vs Time Capsule (+ISP supplied Modem) vs Netgea

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sparkie7, Jan 27, 2009.

1. sparkie7 macrumors 68010

sparkie7

Please help me decide, which is the best set-up for my mac laptops..

1. Buy Airport Extreme and use the ISP supplied modem, and connect an Ext HD to the AE (but more bits of equipment and power cords)

2. Buy Timecapsule and use the ISP supplied modem. Much neater kit, however reviews are mixed on backup being slow on Wifi.

or

3. Get an all-in-one Netgear modem router like the DGN2000. However reviews are mixed on this and still quite a new device.

Any personal experiences, advice appreciated

2. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68010

sparkie7

3. jpvaz macrumors member

I have you're option #2 and i'm very happy about it.

Advantages:

- not limited to 500Gb of 1Tb HDD on the TimeCapsule, you can connect virtualy any HDD or even a NAS (thou moust NAS have 10/100/1000 ethernet connections...)

- easyer to change what ever you need (1 HDD is full, keep it as a backup and just plug a new one)

- dont use time machine over WIFI unless the data you generate and need to backup is close to zero... use the 1000Mb ethernet connection, otherwise you will spend a lot of time just waiting for time machine to finish it's job...

4. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68010

sparkie7

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I haven't used backups thru Time Capsule. However, I did a backup thru APE, with my WD 1TB drive connected thru USB.

Took around 15 minutes longer. Why? I don't know, I had 802.11n enabled, so speeds must have been lightning fast.

Just thought you could know my experience.

6. jpvaz macrumors member

?!? was that a full backup or a sequencial backup?!?

Usualy my weekly incremencial bakup's are of about 3 to 5 Gb... even using my firewire 800 HDD takes much more then 15 minutes...

7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Why dont you get an all in one Wifi N Modem/Router, such as a linksys which are usually quite good, and then attach a cheap 500Gig (or however big you want) network hard drive to it?

8. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68010

sparkie7

yep i did think of that. See above in 3. The Netgear DGN2000 is quite a new device so not a lot of reliable info can be had for it. And thought getting an AEBS would be better as its Apple for consistency and just use the modem supplied from the ISP as its approved.