Airport Extreme N or Dlink 655

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by toddbee, Jun 21, 2007.

1. toddbee macrumors newbie

Anybody have experience with both these wireless N routers? I want to get an N and keep hearing how good the Dlink 655 is.
    Thanks,
    Todd

2. toddbee thread starter macrumors newbie

3. tejota1911 macrumors 6502

I can't speak for the 655, but I'm using the Dlink DIR-625 Rangebooster N Router, and it has worked great for me. I use it in "802.11n only" mode. All of my Macs show full signal, and I have never had to reset it, or had drop outs or anything. I upgraded it to the latest firmware when I bought it, and it has worked flawlessly.

4. brbubba macrumors 6502

brbubba

I'd go with the DLINK for the gigabit ethernet. Its absolutely inconceivable that apple would put a $180 wireless router out there and not include gigabit ethernet.

5. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

I have the D-Link DIR-655. On 802.11n only mode I only get 144Mbps of data transfer when using Mac OS X 10.4.9 on a C2D MacBook. Using Windows Vista through Boot Camp I get 300 Mbps. I have updated the firmware on the router to version 1.03.

The router is great, save the slow transfer rate with the Mac OS.

Also when using an Airprot Extreme 802.11n (on n only mode) I get 300Mbps with Mac OS.

6. brbubba macrumors 6502

brbubba

How about going from the PC to the Airport? It's completely to be expected that these devices are not interoperating at 100% capability since the standard isn't even finalized yet.

7. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

I fully understand this, that is why I am not asking for assistance with the router. I was giving the Original Poster accurate information about the router. I also did not test the MacBook on the airport network using Windows Vista, it was not important.

8. SugarMice macrumors newbie

Dlink 655

I bought a MB recently and I wanted to know if this W-Router works with my new Mac. Are they compatible?

9. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

My experience with multiple DIR-655s:

10. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

How well do network harddrives work with the D-link compared to the Airport Extreme?

11. jnyepu macrumors member

Repeat post from the other relevant thread, but more appropriate here.....

I run in mixed mode because I have a Slingbox with a DLink "g" Ethernet to wireless bridge and a DLink "g" wireless internet camera, as well as a wireless HP printer/fax/scan "g" device. I also run an ancient Pentium III with a DLink Draft N wireless PCMCIA card and my SR 2.4 MBP off this router.

Overall, I'd give it a 6-7/10. My results with Mac OS X are similar to that posted above. I have not updated my router firmware to 1.03, but need to do so.

Frankly, for the first 6 weeks I owned the thing, it constantly dropped Internet connection and/or the wireless devices above would lose signal from the router. I went for a 7-10d period having to cold reset the thing at least once a day. Finally, I lost internet altogether. When I disconnected the router from my modem and hooked the modem directly to my desktop, my internet was fine. I then called DLink and basically ended up reinstalling all the drivers and cold resetting my modem and the router. For now, it basically drops signal every few days but recovers on its own without need for a cold reset. Stability seems to be an issue.

12. aristobrat macrumors G5

My 802.11n Airport has never exceeded 100mpbs on the wireless side.

My other gigabit Ethernet computers are wired via a 10/100/1000mbps hub that my Airport is plugged into.

In any situation I can conceive of, the new Airport Extreme hasn't slowed my network down at all. :confused:

13. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I'm using the DI-624 and have had nothing to complain about. But I have a feeling you are wanting info about N and not G technology.

14. HoosierInFL macrumors regular

I first tried the 655. The best link speed I got was 130. I then tried the Airport Extreme N and I get 300 with it. Needless to say, the 655 gets returned.

There's nothing wrong with the 655, it's a heck of a router, but for my particular experience, it didn't work out.

15. brbubba macrumors 6502

brbubba

Yeah, but you had to pay extra for the switch. We're evaluating the Airport on its merits as a standalone product. So again, it is inconceivable that there is no GigE on a $180 wireless router.

16. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

Update:

Using the D-Link DIR-655 802.11n Wireless router, I now get 300Mbps using 802.11n/b/g in both Mac and Windows. This issue was fixed after the 1.04 Firmware update, and setting the multicast rate to 20/40Hz (automatic) setting which by default is only set at 20Hz.

17. dansgil macrumors regular

dansgil

On August 7, Apple quietly updated the Airport Extremes to include gigabit ethernet.

See new product page here.

18. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

On my DIR-655 (running 1.03 as 1.05 didn't work out very well with my b/g machines and WPA), the macbook I have connects at 300mbps only when there's no other machines on the network (the rest are B/G).

Otherwise, it connects at somewhere around 140. No biggie.

The AEBS runs at both 5.8ghz and 2.4ghz, basically I believe it can do both simultaneously, which would explain the better results. The DIR-855 (still not out?) would be an apples to apples comparison, however as it does the same thing.

I paid $120 for my DIR-655, and the AEBS runs $180, not feeling bad about the slight difference in wifi performance here! :cool:

19. kanishkl macrumors newbie

How do you test the connection speed?

I just bought the d-link

20. cglasel macrumors newbie

I've had the DIR-655 for a couple months now. Replaced the -624. Works great with PCs, not so good with Macs using 10.4.x, now with OS X 10.5 IT'S TERRIBLE!

Totally intermittent connecting to internet (witered or wireless) Mail (3.0) can't keep accounts online, some pages will not load in Safari but will in Firefox, or vise versa. Then they will load.... Updated firmware from 1.2 to 1.10. No change.

Still works great with PCs.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

21. evillageprowler macrumors regular

Can the AEN support DDNS now?

One of the reasons I like DLink routers so much is that I need DDNS support, using some type of free service like dyndns.org...

I know in the past that the Apple routers did not support DDNS. Anyone know if this changed?

EVP

22. evillageprowler macrumors regular

I just looked at Apple's support site, and it appears that the new Bonjour service/utility can allow me to advertise the base station to a service like DynDNS.ORG.

EVP

23. cglasel macrumors newbie

I just swapped routers with an older Netgear. Works like a champ.
    I don't know what with the D-Link router and Leopard, but in my case there was definitely some incompatibility.

24. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

Same here. I get about 10 feet of range when using Leopard and the 655. No matter what settings I use, its completely futile. Hopefully Apple and Dlink will get this taken care of.

25. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

Apple support has a note that in Leopard, the Keychain update is causing Airport cards to malfunction. Their solution is to reboot into safe mode (press and hold shift when booting), let it boot completely, then restart. It took about 10 minutes to boot in safe mode, but I'm posting this while connected to the 655... I'll post again if it keeps working.

Edit: Don't want to do a triple-post. I've been browsing the Leopard forums, and it appears to be an issue with Leopard recognizing the airport card, and then not being able to find any DNS servers. Personally, Leopard will continually tell me there are no networks available, so I don't know if this is the case or not. Rebooting in safe mode helped for a while, but it went back to crap again soon.

I've got two routers here, I had an older Linksys daisy-chained into the DIR-655. I reversed it and connected the DLink to the Linksys instead, and put DHCP on the Linksys; its definitely working better, but its still not where it should be. Hopefully this will be addressed in 10.5.1...