Airport Extreme, now or wait?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Midgetinabikini, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Midgetinabikini macrumors regular

Pretty much it, should I but Airport Extreme now or wait until the 9th?

2. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

What is going to happen on the 9th OP. That is the iPhone and iOS announcement that I am aware of. The Extreme came out last year and they usually don't change them every year.

3. bennibeef macrumors 6502

Well, there isnt a newer WIFI standard than AC out there and even AC is still a "expensive" thing and not much around. There isnt much to update in the Extreme, I'd say buy it now.

4. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

This

5. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

There could conceivably be a new Airport Express, since it's still Wireless N, but not an Extreme. Even so, it's unlikely they'd announce it with a new iPhone and (maybe) watch. No one would pay any attention.

It's like a big family gathering where one couple announces a pregnancy and another announces they're having their lawn re-seeded.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Get it now! While there is always room for improvement, I do not see a new AirPort Extreme or AirPort Time Capsule this year. It is a fantastic, simple, capable, and reliable piece of equipment.

7. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

The new AEBS and TC towers are fairly new so you might as well grab one.

8. Mr. Wonderful macrumors 6502a

At least wait until the 9th.

Apple tends to update the AirPort Extremes on a year and a half basis, which would put them at about being due. Also, given that the new iPhones/iPads are going to be going 802.11ac this fall, there may be motivation to release a minor update to the Extreme or Express to coincide. Or there may not be. But it's only a week away, so you might as well wait.

And for those who are saying that there hasn't been a new standard, so they won't update, that has never stopped Apple before, and it isn't stopping the competition as we've been seeing new 802.11ac routers hit the market this year that have newer, better 802.11ac chipsets, a bump up in antennas from 6 to 8, etc. The AirPort Extremes have always been around the top of the line, so we should expect Apple to eventually follow suit. "When?" is the question.

9. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Go for it. The event in the 9 is all about the iPhone. The AC is a great device.

10. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Or don't buy an Extreme. There are plenty of other routers out there that are better, depending on your needs. No waiting required.

11. MRrainer macrumors 6502a

Which one(s) would that be, BTW?
    :)

12. mitstoshi macrumors regular

I need a N router to replace an old Belkin G router. Is an Airport Express a good replacement? Should I buy now or wait? Or get a third party N router? Airport Extreme and/or AC router are too expensive.

13. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

If the Express meets your needs then it is a fantastic router. I personally find it limited by its lack of Gigabit WAN and LAN ports. I recommend a refurbished 5th generation Extreme from Apple Online Store!

14. mitstoshi macrumors regular

I thought an Express (2nd generation) has both WAN and LAN ports. Are they not Gigabit WAN and LAN? What are the differences?

15. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The 2nd generation Express does have both WAN and LAN ports rather than a single configurable port like on previous generations. Both ports only run at 10/100 Mbps which limits your wired network traffic to 100 Mbps. The AirPort Extreme since the second generation has featured Gigabit (10/100/1000 Mbps) Ethernet. Whether this affects you is a question you need to ask yourself.

16. mitstoshi macrumors regular

What will be the wireless network limits? Should it be greater than 10/100 Mbps?

17. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The wireless network is limited to N speeds. What Internet speed package do you have?

18. mitstoshi macrumors regular

50 Mbps. Does 10/100 mean between 10 and 100 Mbps theoretically and ideally? In reality I only get less than 10 Mbps now from my G router. Will I get better speeds from N router?

19. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

buy it used. I got one with a airport express for 120-130 bucks on ebay. You can get one for under 120 with shipping on ebay in the US. Great deal great little machine got one 6+ months ago. Going to be even cheaper now.

Like others have said not much they can update on it.

The airport express which I think sucks is due for an update. One rumor someone here said a while back is they will make the apple tv a airport express tho doubt they'd do that without raising the price a ton :)

Same with the extreme.

Also its not really a thing you need to upgrade frequently. I still have a 5th generation one that I gave my parents (you can get it for $50 bucks) still works great and I even bought that used. Internet speed has to do with what you pay your provider and what they offer.

I know people that own a 4k tv but don't have HD cable :) and don't have a Blu ray player :)

20. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

No. Ethernet is classified by speed. 10/100 simply means that the port is capable of negotiating at a 10 Mbps or a 100 Mbps speed. Technically speaking, your modem will negotiate a 100 Mbps speed with the Express which more than satisfies the 50 Mbps speed you have now.

In simple terms, you have 50 cars to cram onto a roadway area. If you only have a 10 Mbps speed then traffic will be very slow and only ten cars can get by a second. In a 100 Mbps speed, you could put 2x as many cars and still get by with no delays.

I suggested an Extreme because sometimes devices that do network copies and heavy network tasks would fully take advantage of the Gigabit (1000 Mbps) speeds. The Express is by no means a bad piece of equipment and I have eight of them as access points at my school. I would see if you can wait for the September 9th event and see if a new Express comes out. If it doesn't you can get a new Express or a refurbished Extreme both in the sub-$100 mark. Apple refurbished is essentially new. All of the Expresses at my school were Apple refurbs and never had a problem with them whatsoever.

21. mitstoshi macrumors regular

Thanks I will wait until after the 9th and then get an Express or a refurbished Extreme.

22. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

23. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Report back on what you order when the 9th comes around!

24. mitstoshi macrumors regular

Is it possible to use Airport products for (1) range extender and (2) access point? Can I use third party products such as the G router I am replacing?

25. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Yes. An AirPort can be used as both an AP or wireless range extender.