Airport Extreme question (how to set wireless N only on 2ghz)????

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by y2flyy, Aug 2, 2009.

1. y2flyy macrumors member

Hi guys just bought the newest version of Airport Extreme, love it!
    Quick question does anyone know how to set the Airport Extreme to wireless N only? I understand it will be wireless N only if I connect to the 5 ghz band

Problem is my Netgear Wireless N Bridge is 2.4 ghz only, and when it connects to the Airport extreme for some reason it only connects at wireless G.

I do not see an option in Airport Utility for it to broadcast in Wireless N only.
    My options are 1) Automatic 2) 802.11a/n-802.11b/g 3) 802.11a-802.11b/g

Please help

2. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

do you get or see this screen?

Attached Files:

3. y2flyy thread starter macrumors member

No I do not (on my airport utility in windows or my macbook pro) Thats weird
    Do you know how to get your options? I'm using airport ver 5.4.2
    And airport extreme 7.4.2

Thanks for the quick response!

4. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

what country are you in? I know that there are some band restrictions for some countries, people use the different country profiles to access these

5. y2flyy thread starter macrumors member

I'm in the U.S.
    I'd be so glad if this could be fixed. Ive been spending a few days and countless hours trying to get it to work
    Ive even ordered a 5 ghz Bridge if I can't get this right lol

How do I get and access these country profiles you speak of?

6. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

let me go and have a look and I will post a screen shot

7. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

ok so its pretty straight forward, airport utility, wireless, wireless options and you can select country. I have Austria selected for some reason, I presume it's for the very reason I was talking about earlier :)

let me know how it goes and maybe just copy my settings and see if they work??

D

Attached Files:

8. y2flyy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your hard work, I went to the options but for some reason I do not have Austria as a country to select. I have Brazil, Venezuela, Canada, Columbia, Puerto Rico and Peru
    I've selected each and nothing changed in my radio options

What version Airport Utility do you have?

9. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

did you buy this from Apple direct? It would seem odd to me that you wouldn't have your native country on the list,

Attached Files:

10. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

as you can see I clearly have a European model, you would see to have a South American one, also I believe that this cannot be changed

Attached Files:

11. y2flyy thread starter macrumors member

yeah i bought the Airport Extreme from the Apple Store. And I do have my native country as an option Im in the United States it does have that option which I was using (sorry I didnt list it earlier)
    But for some reason my options arent wireless n only band

12. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

sorry for the confusion there :)

ok so I think that because you are in bridge mode the AE is using the settings from the router and limiting your options.

I would recommend that you do a full reset and inside of going to set it up in bridge mode try and simply add it to your network as an access point and see what your options are

does that make sense? I know it's a pain but it's (sadly) an easy step that has happened in your installation and means youre now restricted

D

13. y2flyy thread starter macrumors member

np thansk again ill try that bud

14. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

cool I've got this page on refresh so if it's within the next hour I'll be still online

Good luck! and don't worry I find this stuff always happens when networking, the last 'dark arts' of IT :)

15. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

I have just been doing some reading about this and a thought has occured to me, are you connecting to your router by wireless or ethernet? Could be the simple answer?

D

16. y2flyy thread starter macrumors member

I have my cable modem hooked up directly to the airport extreme over ethernet
    My Windows PC hooked up to the Airport Extreme LAN port over ethernet
    Macbook pro hook up via wireless n 5ghz
    Netgear Wireless N router (dd wrt installed) hooked up as a wireless bridge (client bridge mode)

17. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

well if you are bridging from your extreme then I would definitely go for the reset as there should be no broadcasting issues.

Also have you confirmed the Netgear is actually on N and not on G by mistake?

I'm not trying to call you stupid on the net or anything just trying to bounce ideas off :)

D

18. y2flyy thread starter macrumors member

No thats fine bud lol its def a n wireless router
    when i remote into the Netgear I even have an option to set that to wireless N which i have it set as but
    in the Airport Utility its mac address is showing its connecting at wireless g

19. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

glad no offense taken, the net can be a bit cold sometimes :)

when you reset try and not bridge the netgear and see what the options are, I would be amazed if it wasn't there then, then you could set to N only and then try and bridge

D

20. y2flyy thread starter macrumors member

looks like i may be halfway there
    I did what you said regarding the Netgear Bridge now it is connecting via wireless N to the Airport Extreme
    But since my 2.4ghz is operating in mixed mode the speed is throttled.
    Since I do not have any wireless G devices it sucks because I cant get my airport extreme to send out only wireless N on the 2ghz band
    lol

21. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

so even after a reset you cannot get N only in your wireless options?

Did you try and set it to N only before attempting to bridge?

22. y2flyy thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I reset everything. While I was resetting up Airport Extreme (w/o bridge setup yet) I still did not have an option to goto wireless n only....

What version of airport utility do you have bud?

23. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

I'm afraid I am not sure where else to go on this one, maybe a call to apple under the guise that you believe your unit is defective because you bought it knowing it could broadcast N only?

I'm a bit stumped I'm afriad, I wish I could be more helpful/knowledgeable :confused:

Hope it goes well, post back your findings, I'm off to sleep now but I will have a look tomorrow and see if I can find anything out
    ]
    D

24. y2flyy thread starter macrumors member

np bro thanks again for all of your help

25. y2flyy thread starter macrumors member

Just to update....I called Apple Tech Support
    and he stated to me that the New Airport Extreme (simultaneous Dual-Band) cannot be set to wireless n only on the 2.4 band b/c all n devices auto connect to the 5ghz band anyways

I dont know if he was right I thought that n devices could use the 5 ghz band ONLY if it was a device that can specifically access the 5ghz band (for instance the newer macbook pro)

But the Apple tech guy said that ALL 802.11N devices can access the 5ghz band