Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
I'm using a 2014 Airport Extreme Base Station and Airport Utility v 6.3.9, which shows copyright 2001-2019. I just checked and there are no software updates for the utility nor firmware updates for the base station.

That leads me to wonder if there is a security liability to keep using these. Any input would be appreciated. Also, if that's the case, what would you recommend?

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I'm using a 2014 Airport Extreme Base Station and Airport Utility v 6.3.9, which shows copyright 2001-2019. I just checked and there are no software updates for the utility nor firmware updates for the base station.

That leads me to wonder if there is a security liability to keep using these. Any input would be appreciated. Also, if that's the case, what would you recommend?
If you look at Airport Utility 6.3.9 and access AirPort Extreme its should show the version of software below S/N, I believe yours should show 7.9.1.

see https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2006?locale=en_US
this will point you to another apple documument

If you need to eventually replace it I would go with a Orbi Netgear Mesh Wifi System, a bit expensive but two of these units will really provide much higher WiFi performance compared to a single 2014 AirPort Extreme household coverage. :)

Last edited:

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
If you look at Airport Utility 6.3.9 and access AirPort Extreme its should show the version of software below S/N, I believe yours should show 7.9.1.
Yes, it's at 7.9.1 which is the latest firmware. My concern is that in May it will be two years since this came out with nothing later. I know Apple doesn't sell these anymore, but are they also not doing security updates? If so, wouldn't that represent a security risk?

As for a replacement, if warranted, we have FIOS in the house - currently I don't use its WiFi but connect the Airport base station to it with ethernet for WiFi. Would using the FIOS WiFi represent any kind of compromise (not so much interested in speed as in security)?

Thanks.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Yes, it's at 7.9.1 which is the latest firmware. My concern is that in May it will be two years since this came out with nothing later. I know Apple doesn't sell these anymore, but are they also not doing security updates? If so, wouldn't that represent a security risk?

As for a replacement, if warranted, we have FIOS in the house - currently I don't use its WiFi but connect the Airport base station to it with ethernet for WiFi. Would using the FIOS WiFi represent any kind of compromise (not so much interested in speed as in security)?

Thanks.
Your using a Double NAT config right now which is more secure. see

Double NAT vs. Single NAT: How to Best Handle an (ISP-Provided) Gateway

"Double NAT is an indication that you have two devices both trying to act as routers on a network. One of them is likely the "modem" (although it is no doubt more than a simple modem) that your ISP has provided to you and the other would be the AirPort Extreme.

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
Your using a Double NAT config right now which is more secure. see

Double NAT vs. Single NAT: How to Best Handle an (ISP-Provided) Gateway

I read through the article. A lot of it is above my head. I guess I initially went with the Airport base station with two, possibly incorrect, assumptions. One, the Apple device would be more secure than the Verizon-provided wifi and two, it would be easier to connect my Apple stuff to. It's the first assumption that is troubling me now as the Airport has not been updated in almost two years. I like the idea that the double NAT setup is more secure.

So, to summarize:

o Is it risky to continue to use the Airport given the lack of updates?
o How secure is the Verizon router if I just use it i.e. any history of issues?
o If I go to another double NAT setup, which seems preferable, would any particular brand be more compatible with my Apple devices? Any recommendations for a relatively low-cost unit? Please note: speed is not a big issue for me and range equivalent to the Airport would be acceptable.

Reactions: srbNYC

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
I've been looking into this some more and found this thread from August 2020 in an Apple forum:
Is it safe to use AirPort Extreme in 2020 without updates from Apple?

From the first answer there:
Airport production ceased in April 2018.. Support should be maintained for the normal life of the device.. say 5 years.. but I believe the figure is 7 years.. that still leaves quite a bit of time.

No update has happened for a while.. but the Airport routers have a unique firmware. Based on NetBSD it is highly secure from day 1. So the router itself is secure.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
but the Airport routers have a unique firmware. Based on NetBSD it is highly secure from day 1. So the router itself is secure.
You can't make the assumption that the router is secure based on the OS it uses, but the 802.11ac Airport models are not yet considered obsolete or vintage by Apple so if there was a need for a security patch, there's at least a chance Apple would release one.

Reactions: srbNYC

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I read through the article. A lot of it is above my head. I guess I initially went with the Airport base station with two, possibly incorrect, assumptions. One, the Apple device would be more secure than the Verizon-provided wifi and two, it would be easier to connect my Apple stuff to. It's the first assumption that is troubling me now as the Airport has not been updated in almost two years. I like the idea that the double NAT setup is more secure.

So, to summarize:

o Is it risky to continue to use the Airport given the lack of updates?
o How secure is the Verizon router if I just use it i.e. any history of issues?
o If I go to another double NAT setup, which seems preferable, would any particular brand be more compatible with my Apple devices? Any recommendations for a relatively low-cost unit? Please note: speed is not a big issue for me and range equivalent to the Airport would be acceptable.
No its not risky, the disadvantage of the AirPort Extreme is not its security, but that it's not the fastest all in one router, that's all. It does have decent range. Where speed and what you use becomes a factor is with higher ISP Mbps connectivity to your WiFi router. By that I mean you have a 200+ Mbps connection when connected using ethernet versus a Wifi Router that you see only 50 to 100 Mbps when wandering around your house on your computer/table/phone using WiFi.

see Verizon FiOS Router and Security Issues - Verizon has had a few major security issues they needed to release updates or patches for. If you using a ISP provided WiFi router that does everything, then its only one wall to scale for to access your devices on the router's price IP address connected devices. The below diagram shows how much easier it is to circumvent one all-in one modem/router/wifi security versus a second router with WiFi

2.png

Double Nat allows you to use just about anything for your second router or mesh setup, its what you been using all this time. It also means that your second router connected devices are behind a another range of private IP addresses. Most people use this configuration, like you are doing now with your setup.

On what to buy, as seen by some of the Apple Store examples there is more to a smart purchase than a single router versa various Mesh solutions. A single router could be just a Netgear Orbi (RBK50) if your Airport Extrem died. Why did I mention the Netgear Mesh again, because for a single unit it speed vs distance coverage for a house is good. That only $149, #4 in below article.

See Best mesh routers for 2021: The best mesh Wi-Fi systems

You can of course use many traditional wireless routers with lots of antenna sticking up too. Just need to know you have many options to read up on. ;)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.