AirPort Extreme Vs Express coverage

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Apple Fan 21, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Apple Fan 21 macrumors regular

Does the Extreme have a better coverage area than the Express? Also any idea when an Extreme refresh w/ possible AC is coming?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, the Extreme's antennas are much better designed.

3. linds15 macrumors 6502a

AC won't be until after they release macs with it, and there isnt a definitive timeline on that. if you need a router why wait? curious as to what you're doing to need AC, i stream HD content all over my house with an express and have no issues with lag or quality

4. Apple Fan 21 thread starter macrumors regular

I currently use a current gen AirPort Extreme and I love it. Best router I ever had. We are moving to a 2 story house and will probably need a second router for the down stairs. Just not sure to get an express now or wait for the next gen extreme and use that. Thoughts??

5. linds15 macrumors 6502a

keep in mind wifi works best from a top down approach, i have an express on the second floor, no issues in the basement receiving from it.

it will heavily depend on an potential interference, and what exactly is between where the router will be and where you will use a device in your new house. best bet would be to wait, setup everything, and if you notice a weak signal adjust accordingly from there

6. Shishu macrumors member

Latest beta of OSX has references to ac so there is high probability of next generation of Macs having it - hence they will be forced to update extreme. Likely at wwdc this summer.

7. Apple Fan 21 thread starter macrumors regular

Sucks having to wait that long. Wonder if the both the Extreme and Express have AC? Also sucks Apple hasn’t had a product announcement in sooooo long. Where is the next OSX? With that being said, I don't have any product w/ AC as of yet, but I would want to future proof my next router purchase. Maybe the iPhone 5S will have AC.

8. lexvo macrumors 65816

I have a 3 story house. I have a single Airport Extreme and it covers all floors and also a large part of the garden. In your place I would first test coverage in you new house and then decide if you need an extra router.

9. thekb macrumors 6502a

Why does my coverage suck so bad with my Airport Extreme?? I have one story, 1500 ft-sq house and it barely reaches to other rooms, if at all!

10. opinio macrumors 65816

Apart from what has been said in terms of superiority of the Extreme versus the Express, also note the wifi speed on the extreme is max 450MB/s while the express is 300MB/s.

11. lexvo macrumors 65816

Have you tried a full factory reset? Pull the power plug, push and hold the reset button, put the power plug back in while still pressing the reset button, release reset button after 5 seconds or so (BTW, you will have to configure the Extreme again after this).

Last year I also encountered range problems, but this factory reset solved it completely.

12. Apple Fan 21 thread starter macrumors regular

This is a non-issue for me since my max speed from my internet provider is 25MB/s :eek:

13. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

It's not a non-issue if you are moving any files around your local network to/from your WiFi devices and any other devices e.g. Time Capsule, NAS, USB drive etc.

PS It's not MBps it's Mbps - WiFi doesn't yet go at 300 MegaBytes/sec but 300 Megabits/sec

14. Apple Fan 21 thread starter macrumors regular

Good point. I do have a PC also but it connected to the Extreme via Cat 6. Only thing I would move that big would be a movie to the iPad.

15. LFMNX macrumors regular

Do you have plaster or brick interior walls? Try disconnecting all cordless phones and see if you still have issues.

16. macalec macrumors 6502

Also, could be the frequency's of other devices as well. Maybe he needs a extender for a mesh network.

17. Apple Fan 21 thread starter macrumors regular

So if an Extreme has better coverage than am Express, does TC have the best coverage than of all three? Also any news on updated TC/APE? Keep hearing June/July with AC since OSX 10.8.4 has AC code. Also hoping iPhone 5S has AC also.

18. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Here is a test showing they are about the same.

19. Apple Fan 21 thread starter macrumors regular

Great info, thanks. Still wishing Apple will release on info on a 6th Gen APE w/AC.

20. opinio macrumors 65816

You don't transfer files locally or stream across the network?

21. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Not impressed with my Airport Extreme. I can be in another room and my iPad struggles to stream content. Its only plaster board separating the rooms so it should be fine.

I have a 50mb connection.

22. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That definitely is not normal. My Time Capsule goes through two interior walls and a stucco exterior wall all the way across my backyard with an iPad.

Have you tried maybe moving it around a little or a different angle?

23. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I may have to. Its next to my Mac in my bedroom at the moment (connected via ethernet) so I can't move it too much.

Mmmmm, i'll try and have a giggle when I get home :)

24. Apple Fan 21 thread starter macrumors regular

I do, but on equipment hardwired via the APE, like to my PC. My Apple TV is also hardwired via power line adaptor. Yesterday I was receiving a wifi signal on my iPhone while at my mailbox which is 3 houses down, so maybe I won’t need another router when I move. Still want one though.

25. Apple Fan 21 thread starter macrumors regular