Airport extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by splatterific, Jul 23, 2012.

1. splatterific macrumors member

Just hooked up my new airport extreme and networked my printer thru the USB. Is there a way to get my iPad to print to the networked printer?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yes, set it up. AirPrint helps accomplish this.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Only if the printer is an AirPrint printer. If it isn't, you'll have to have a computer on the printer share the printer as one. Simply hooking up a USB printer to an Airport Base Station, does not make iOS able to print from it.

4. splatterific thread starter macrumors member

Is AirPrint something I set up on my iMac or is it an app for the iPad

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

AirPrint is a protocol that a printer must have in it to be able to have iOS print to it. If a printer does not have this as a part of its feature set, you'll have to put an AirPrint gateway on to a computer on the network that will host the printer as an AirPrint printer. The computer doing the hosting must be on when you want to print from iOS through the AirPrint gateway.

6. Macman45, Jul 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012

Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Neither, it's a technology that Macs and IOS devices use for wifi printing. Your printer documentation will tell you if it's compatible or not. If it isn't there are two apps that will help you out I hope they are still around

The first is PrintNshare which you install on your IOS devices, the other is called weprint and is installed on your Mac.

It's a fiddle, and you are far better off buying a full AirPrint compatible printer. I have an Epson 535w, totally wifi, no connection cabling at all.

HP make compatible printers too.

7. splatterific thread starter macrumors member

I have a hp c7100. It's wireless and Bluetooth and useless at the same time. Haven't exactly found a purpose for the Bluetooth and the wireless isn't able to utilize the card reader only thru the USB.

8. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

If its new, take it back and buy one of the HP eny's that are AirPrint ready...Don't buy from the Apple store though, they are vastly overpriced. If you aren't fussed about brands, get the Epson I mentioned above, it's a great printer and scanner and has never ever let me down. Prints from my iPad, iPhone and all three Macs wirelessly...I actually put it in my bedroom out of the way.

9. robgendreau macrumors 68040

IMHO HPs aren't the best for Macs...but since you've got it, and an iMac, try Printopia.

It allows you to print to any printer that your iMac can print to. And send files to your Mac. Way cheaper than getting an Airprint printer, and far more versatile.

10. angelsguardian macrumors regular

I have a HP Deskjet 3050A which is shared from my iMac for all Macs (it is wireless but not 5Ghz so useless for my Macs) and the HP app means iPad prints to it wirelessly really easily. Printer was really cheap and is great for the price.

11. skorpien macrumors 68020

It doesn't matter whether it's 5GHz capable or not. If you're running a simultaneous dual-band network, any devices connected to the 5GHz band will be able to communicate with any devices on the 2.4GHz band. I have an Officejet 6500A Plus connected to my 2.4GHz network and I can use it from any of my computers connected to my 5GHz network.

12. angelsguardian macrumors regular

But not if not simultaneous dual band. Works better on USB for Macs as wireless not amazing in an old stone house on a cheap printer.

13. skorpien macrumors 68020

Ah, my apologies. I (wrongfully) assumed you were running simultaneous dual-band. Disregard my post... :eek: