Airport Extreme.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ijsportsman, Jul 10, 2010.

1. ijsportsman macrumors newbie

So I am very unhappy with my Linksys router, spotty coverage, bar inconsistency etc. I would really like to switch to the AExtreme but I have a few concerns about some of the review I read. One said that it doesn't work well with Wireless Enabled Printers, and there is no way I can plug my printer into the Aextreme so I need that feature to work. My other concern is that it won't cover my whole house. Obviously going through wall is a problem, and to reach the farthest point in the house the signal has to go through 4 walls and wood floor. Do you think it can handle that? I'm trying to get my family to convert to all mac, but there are still PC intended things in it e.g. a Linksys Router. Just wondering what you guys think about it.

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I think the Airport Extreme is great router with good range. Depending on how large your house is, it may work really well and it may not. One of my complaints of the router though is that it only has 3 ethernet ports. This router looks really good too, and it's cheaper, so check it out!

http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-Range...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1278789122&sr=8-1

3. thunderboltspro macrumors regular

Don't knock it till you try it even if your wireless printer doesn't work, you should have a usb connection on the back of your printer and the APE has one to so you would be able to use it that way.
    Wireless isn't magically, your results on signal strength will very from room to room depending on materials in the way. You may need to pick up a wireless extender to reach all parts of your house for a strong connection.

My 3 year old APE is chugging along just fine, set up took less then ten mins. No problems ,and all worry free.

4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...my AEBS works fantastic and my Brother 7840W is linked into my network wirelessly or would work with an ethernet or USB cable... who ever said printers wouldn't work may not have had the proper security selection chosen when setting it all up...

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

My late 2009 AEBS works beautifully with my HP Deskjet 6980 (which is a really nice printer by the way). I don't see why any WiFi printer won't work with one.

6. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

I recently replaced my Linksys WRT54GS with an Airport Extreme. I've had a few other routers in the past too, and the Airport Extreme beats them all. The range is much better than the WRT54GS. Our house isn't ginormous by any means, but its not too small either. I can connect to the network anywhere in the house and get a fast connection. It even works out in the street or back in the yard.

I love it, and highly recommend it.

7. tmshort macrumors newbie

Love mine as well. Great range, easy setup.
    I have it extended - we have a shop in the back yard 100'+ away from the house, and I set up and airport express back there that picks up the signal and extends it for coverage in the shop.

My only complaint echoes the above - wish it had more ethernet ports.

8. strausd macrumors 68030

The airport extreme gives off roughly a 50 foot "bubble" or wireless N. By bubble, I mean a 50 foot, 3D radius. Of course, going through rooms can mess with it. You can also get an airport express which can be used as a wireless booster. What it does is if it is within the 50 foot "bubble", it will boost that signal and make a second 50 foot "bubble" with the airport express as the middle. You can definitely use more than one. With this, you could get great wireless N no matter how big your house is.

9. Laurencia7 macrumors 6502

If you have the money go Extreme, but if not buy the express, it has a 800 Ft circle range, I can get wireless and print down my driveway! and all over the house. It is an awesome invention, but if you have neighbors, passwrd protect your connection, so they don't steal your wireless.

10. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

I have a situation similar to the OP.

I was using a D-Link DI524 WiFi G router, and had only middling signal at best for my iMac, which is the equivalent of three rooms and a wood floor away, with intermittent disconnects. I upgraded to the Airport Extreme and now get near-excellent signal, enough to stay in N-speed range consistently without disconnects-- even if my Wireless G-enabled PC next to it is connected. (That PC also gets much better signal with the AEBS.)

Get the AEBS; it's worth it.

11. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

It's totally worth it!
    3 years ago, I bought my airport extreme to replace a D-Link router that stopped working.
    My Airport extreme covers my 6200 sq. ft. house perfectly, at 25% broadcast capacity! It also covers my 1 acre lot, and I can use my MacBook Pro outside with no problems and still get my full internet speed. about 1/2 of my upper floor is covered with thick hardwood floors, as well as thicker walls. Now I have the older 2007 Airport base station. (It looks exactly the same as the one they are still selling, just can't broadcast the Wireless N and wireless G channels at the same time)
    I also LOVE the usb port on the back and use it with a Seagate backup hard drive for time capsule. I also have a Wireless HP Laserjet that works with no problems. Just make sure it doesnt have the same name as the AE.
    I have never had a problem with this router after 3 years *knock on wood* when my old D-Link would constantly break and have to be reset almost daily.
    I know it's a little more expensive then an D-Link, but I think the old saying "you get what you pay for" really applies here.
    I use my MacBook connected to a cinema display in the front room of the house,and I still get full reception and speed.
    However, my airport extreme is set up under my TV in our great room/family room, which is pretty much in the exact centre of the house.
    I also have an HP Laptop that runs Windows Vista in my office. It plays just as well with my AE as the macs do.
    All in all, i've never been happier.

Hope I could help!

12. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

If you need more, get a switch. 3 seems enough to have a computer, a peripheral and a switch all hooked up on/under/near a desk.

13. AndyMoore macrumors 6502

AndyMoore

If you're in the UK, try getting one at Comet. I bought one a few days ago and the sales rep gave me 20% without me even asking.

14. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

By the way, Apple just lowered the AEBS price in the refurb store. Great deal.

I just picked one up to replace my 6+ year old flying saucer, which just will
    not die!