Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chase R

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 8, 2008
PDX
So I just got my MacBook, mainly for school. The wireless service at my school requires a username and password so I went to the place and paid the 10 bucks for it. They said when you open up "Internet Explorer" (I chuckled) that a window would come up asking for your permission to continue or whatever and then you have to put in your username and password. When I join the network in Airport it says I have full bars however when I open up Safari or Firfox it instantly says that I'm not connected. What can I do so that it will ask me for my username and password so I can actually use the internet? I have gotten to the page where it asks me for my username and password before but I hadn't yet set up an account so I just exited out. Now I can't even get to that page! Hopefully there are some people out there that use the same type of wireless service at their college...

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
Usually when I run into that problem I can open Safari and such a page will show up (when it won't in Firefox.) If it doesn't open in Safari either, I would contact your college and get help or get your money back.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
First thing to check is make sure you're being assigned an IP address by the network. You can check this either via iStats or in your Network Prefs, in the Airport area.

If your IP is like 169.xxx.xx.xx, you're not being assigned a DCHP type IP address by the network, so maybe you haven't been added to the system yet. Did you have to provide them with your MAC address or anything?

If you're IP is anything other than that, starts with 192, 72, 24, pretty much anything other than 169, you need to go back and talk to the IT people in charge of the wireless access to the network

kennyli

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2008
Hong Kong
"Can you name one computer manufacturer that builds notebooks with a higher quality than Apple??? After owning one of these new MacBooks it makes every other notebook feel like a hunk of garbage. Every manufacturer is going to have it's defects. Get over it. "

Do you want to change your poll or just get over it? :D:D:D:D

Chase R

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 8, 2008
PDX
First thing to check is make sure you're being assigned an IP address by the network. You can check this either via iStats or in your Network Prefs, in the Airport area.

If your IP is like 169.xxx.xx.xx, you're not being assigned a DCHP type IP address by the network, so maybe you haven't been added to the system yet. Did you have to provide them with your MAC address or anything?

If you're IP is anything other than that, starts with 192, 72, 24, pretty much anything other than 169, you need to go back and talk to the IT people in charge of the wireless access to the network

No I didn't have to submit them with a MAC address. If I remember correctly when I was looking at the network stuff in Airport it said something like self assigned IP address or something like that. I'm gonna ask my physics teacher about it tomorrow... He's a Mac guy.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
So the above new location could be a fragged Airport prefs file, I thought Apple fixed that awhile ago.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Make sure the network your college runs is not 802.1x secured. Sometimes that happens. here in UNO there is a new building that has 802.1x wi-fi security and requires your UNO username and password for access via 802.1x certification.

Other than that building the rest of the campus covered by wi-fi is simply open. Weird in my opinion, but hey, its the university's wi-fi.

adamget

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2006
North England
Make sure the network your college runs is not 802.1x secured. Sometimes that happens. here in UNO there is a new building that has 802.1x wi-fi security and requires your UNO username and password for access via 802.1x certification.

Other than that building the rest of the campus covered by wi-fi is simply open. Weird in my opinion, but hey, its the university's wi-fi.

I'd be tempted to go back to the college tech support desk and ask them.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I'd be tempted to go back to the college tech support desk and ask them.

Yes, I forgot to mention that, ask what type of network they run... 802.1x is for enterprise, but it wouldn't surprise me if his college has it setup that way.

May not be the case I stated, so ask away at your tech people.

cricketbird

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2008
One idea

You likely have already done this, but at my university, just OPENING firefox or safari doesn't give you the username/password option. You have to try to go to a website (click on a link or bookmark or type an address) and only THEN do you get the username/password page to pop up. Once you've entered the info, then it redirects you to your original page. Just a thought in case you hadn't tried navigating away from your home page.

Chase R

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 8, 2008
PDX
You likely have already done this, but at my university, just OPENING firefox or safari doesn't give you the username/password option. You have to try to go to a website (click on a link or bookmark or type an address) and only THEN do you get the username/password page to pop up. Once you've entered the info, then it redirects you to your original page. Just a thought in case you hadn't tried navigating away from your home page.

Ya I've tried that. I actually have been getting it to work lately. And your right, I have to click on one of my bookmarks in order for the password/username page to come up. I've only had time to see if it works in the math building... hopefully it will work like this in the library! That's where I was having most of my trouble.

vorkorsigan

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2008
Toronto
Usually when a network admin guy says a web page will come up when you connect and ask for a password it means that they set up the router to do this. Usually browsers will open on the set home page but if it cannot be found then they will look for a default from the router and they use this for the admin access. This process could be disabled in your mac?

Try this, try to connect as before and when it fails blank the address and press enter. If this fails enter the router address 192.168.0.1 or 10.0.1.1 for example but you can find out like this. In system properties go into Network, select the wireless router you are connect to and go to advanced, you will see the router address. If you enter this in the address window in Safari it will give you the log in screen if this is what they have set up.

Hope it works for you.

KilljoyPBN

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2008
I bet your school has a VPN.

Along with signing in to the wireless network you will also have to sign in to the VPN. Search your school's IT website for VPN.

Im almost positive that's what it is.

Chase R

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 8, 2008
PDX
Bringing my thread back to life lol...

Last semester it was working and now this semester I seem to have the same problem. It won't connect. Occasionally it will say that I have a "self assigned IP address" but other times it won't even give me that green light. I'm going to try a few different things next week at school to see if I can get it to work that I was reading about today. And if that doesn't work I will see if I can find an IT person to help me.

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
Bringing my thread back to life lol...

Last semester it was working and now this semester I seem to have the same problem. It won't connect. Occasionally it will say that I have a "self assigned IP address" but other times it won't even give me that green light. I'm going to try a few different things next week at school to see if I can get it to work that I was reading about today. And if that doesn't work I will see if I can find an IT person to help me.

If its an IP address issue its the colleges server issue, not your Macbooks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.