Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In your Software Update: The AirPort 3.3.1 Update improves the reliability of AirPort connections when changing network locations. The update is recommended for all users with an AirPort Extreme and AirPort enabled computer or an AirPort Extreme base station.
Apple last updated Airport Software in January.

Article Link: AirPort Software v3.3.1

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Huh, wonder why the quick turnaround since the last update. That one didn't seem to break anything, so I wonder what prompted a second update within the last, what, 6 weeks? Oh well, I'll try it out when I get home tonight...

BKB

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2003
mactastic said:
Huh, wonder why the quick turnaround since the last update. That one didn't seem to break anything, so I wonder what prompted a second update within the last, what, 6 weeks? Oh well, I'll try it out when I get home tonight...

I wonder why it wasn't in Software Update. Strange. :confused:

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
Woohoo!!! 3.3.1 is so much snappier than 3.3.0! Go Apple!

[/sarcasm]

c'mon Apple, give us some real updates some year, like hardware?!?

BKB

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2003
guyute said:
today (tuesday)

That might explain it. I updated yesterday & it wasn't available in Software Update then. Only came on Software today. Strange, but that explains it

:confused:

BKB

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2003
Photorun said:
Woohoo!!! 3.3.1 is so much snappier than 3.3.0! Go Apple!

[/sarcasm]

c'mon Apple, give us some real updates some year, like hardware?!?

Is it? I haven't noticed much difference. Is there a way to benchmark it?

missed the /sarcasm

BTW: this forum is about 100 time faster than Apple's and MacNN's forums. Impressive :D

frenetic

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2004
Amsterdam
mactastic said:

I think there were some problems with kernel panics when switching from airport to ethernet networks on different locations - I think I remember something like that on Macfixit. Maybe this fixes it...

Engagebot

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2003
LSU - Baton Rouge
maybe we'll stop having the problems with linksys routers now.

sometimes tough to get the girl at the coffee shop to reset the router for you because stupid AE lets you on the network but cant connect to the internet.

Bilba

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2004
Maybe I am losing it, but was it always possible to enable "Interference Robustness" ? If so, does this thing actually works?

vollspacken

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2002
Boogie-Down Berlintown
maybe this will finally fix all the trouble I have with Airport crashing Mail, Stuffit, the Finder and causing startup delay

(I know it's Airport, because when tuned off, everything runs supersmooth..!)

vSpacken

BKB

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2003
Bilba said:
Maybe I am losing it, but was it always possible to enable "Interference Robustness" ? If so, does this thing actually works?

Bilba,
It's always been there. It's a strange button for a Mac, isn't it. Here we are using the first & best GUI on the planet and they stick an option called "inteference robustness" right in front of us. I mean, what are they thinking? Why not just call it something like

"Click This Option When You Are Microwaving Popcorn Within A 30 Feet Radius Of The CPU"

It's always been there. I've tested it out, and haven't noticed any significant improvement. Apparently it helps when other networks or wireless devices, or indeed microwaves are in range, but it will depends on the details of your whereabouts. :)

Engagebot

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2003
LSU - Baton Rouge
BKB said:
Then why use it?

what kind of remark is that? how about "i use airport extreme because its basically the only wireless solution for my >$2000 laptop, and i dont feel like buying another laptop just because it has issues with certain models/revisions of linksys B routers".

Does that work better for you?

I have a linksys b router at home, and i have to reset it ever other day or so because the powerbook wont be able to access the internet. if i go to a coffee shop or somewhere on my campus that uses a linksys router, alot of times i cant get online because i cant reset the router. my girlfriend works at one coffee shop here, so i can get back there and reset it when i need. and when i reset it, AE works like a charm.

BKB

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2003
Engagebot said:
what kind of remark is that? how about "i use airport extreme because its basically the only wireless solution for my >$2000 laptop, and i dont feel like buying another laptop just because it has issues with certain models/revisions of linksys B routers".

Does that work better for you?

I have a linksys b router at home, and i have to reset it ever other day or so because the powerbook wont be able to access the internet. if i go to a coffee shop or somewhere on my campus that uses a linksys router, alot of times i cant get online because i cant reset the router. my girlfriend works at one coffee shop here, so i can get back there and reset it when i need. and when i reset it, AE works like a charm.

Engagebot,
There are solutions. First off, if you're on a 15" Al then you are using Airport Extreme. Why not think about upgrading your home router to a 802.11g setup? Worked for me. I use the Linksys G Router/Access Point and it's pretty damn solid, faster and more reliable.

Another thing, have you tried updating your firmare on your home router? Might sounds obvious but it might be the solution you need.

Lastly, when you are next at your coffee shop why don't you go to login to the browser based settings of the router and update its firmware. That way you can stop asking your girlfriend to go "around the back" to reboot your router.

Like I said, there are solutions.

Engagebot

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2003
LSU - Baton Rouge
BKB said:
Engagebot,
There are solutions. First off, if you're on a 15" Al then you are using Airport Extreme. Why not think about upgrading your home router to a 802.11g setup? Worked for me. I use the Linksys G Router/Access Point and it's pretty damn solid, faster and more reliable.

Another thing, have you tried updating your firmare on your home router? Might sounds obvious but it might be the solution you need.

Lastly, when you are next at your coffee shop why don't you go to login to the browser based settings of the router and update its firmware. That way you can stop asking your girlfriend to go "around the back" to reboot your router.

Like I said, there are solutions.

Yeah, sorry but you're kind of preaching to the choir here. I'm a semester away from my computer science degree and i'm an apple developer. i've updated firmware all over the place, and it just doesnt help. alot of LSU's campus is unfortunately made of linksys access points, so im out of luck alot of the time. i bought the linksys in my house when i had my old ibook, and it worked great. i use my hardwired pc most of the time at my house anyway, so it doesnt bother me enough to buy a new router. plus i can see 4 other open networks from my bedroom...

when i discovered the coffee shop had their router set to all defaults, i took the liberty of setting up their passwords and such for them. If i go there and cant get on the 'net, i just get into the router and drop/renew everybody and then it works great.

its just a problem between linksys and AE, and i'm hoping one of these AE revisions fixes it, because i dont think linksys cares enough...

BKB

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2003
Engagebot said:
Yeah, sorry but you're kind of preaching to the choir here. I'm a semester away from my computer science degree and i'm an apple developer. i've updated firmware all over the place, and it just doesnt help. alot of LSU's campus is unfortunately made of linksys access points, so im out of luck alot of the time. i bought the linksys in my house when i had my old ibook, and it worked great. i use my hardwired pc most of the time at my house anyway, so it doesnt bother me enough to buy a new router. plus i can see 4 other open networks from my bedroom...

when i discovered the coffee shop had their router set to all defaults, i took the liberty of setting up their passwords and such for them. If i go there and cant get on the 'net, i just get into the router and drop/renew everybody and then it works great.

its just a problem between linksys and AE, and i'm hoping one of these AE revisions fixes it, because i dont think linksys cares enough...

I see, I see. Hail Winston Churchill II. Apologies for the sermon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.