AirPort Update 2005-001

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Now available via Software Update:This update fixes reliability and resolves AirPort compatibility issues with certain third party 802.11 cards and access points for Mac OS X v10.4.3 and later.

Apple also recently released the Mac OS X 10.4.3 update.

The previous Airport update was in July 14, 2005.

Update: One user reports that Motion 2.0.1 has also recently been updated.

Article Link: AirPort Update 2005-001

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
The update is 1.4 MB and requires a restart. Apple's being cryptic (as usual) when it comes to determining what this update actually does. I haven't even figured out whether it's an update for software, AirPort card firmware, or base station firmware!

JDOG_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
Oakland
Cool...

Maybe this will fix my dodgy airport connection with my iBook. It's been super buddy since 10.4.3

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
Should I update if everything works? I'm afraid to screw it up... My lynksys & Airport express are working in perfect harmony right now (I'm browsing the web and streaming music as I type)...

denial

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2005
Be careful with this update. It took an inordinate amount of time to reboot.

dombi

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2003
No problems here (with the update). I am not sure, but it seems that the signal strength improved... maybe someone else can confirm this.

MikeGA

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2005
karellen said:
ARGHH

My airport card in my Powerbook is now not working.

It says I have no Airport card at all!!

Help!!??
Exactly, I'm slightly worried that this update could mess things up for me.

I suggest you maybe try a restart. If that doesn't fix the issue, then I don't really know what to suggest. Maybe re-install 10.4.3 using the combo updater?

mistabaka

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2005
Updated about 30 Mins ago and all is well. Haven't really noticed any difference yet.
Edit: My Airport Is And Has Worked Well Before And After This Update

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
My reboot didn't run smoothly.

After waiting quite a few minutes on the Apple logo screen it went to blue and just stayed there. I waited a few minutes, didn't hear any disk activity and then opted for a manual shutdown using the power bottom. Seems to work fine now though.

If you're not having any problems with airport, stay away!:confused:

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
hmmm - installed rebooted - took awhile. Airport running smoothly but Bluetooth isn't recognized. Uh Oh.

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
The bluetooth icon on my menubar disappeared on Monday when I installed the 10.4.3. update-- haven't seen it since, even when I adjusted system prefs. I dont use bluetooth now, do I guess its no big deal.:confused:

Montserrat

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2004
UK
karellen said:
Already done a restart and reset the PMU thing.

It says: "No Airport Hardware found"

Ok here's a few things to try - they may or may not work, and some of them may have already been suggested (my (wired!) network is sooooo slow today)

1. Switch off computer.
2. REmove and reinsert Airport Card (Clean connection).
3. Try Restart.

4. Zap NVRAM (Restart and hold option-command-O-F then type reset-nvram (enter) Then type reset-all)

Hope that has some effect

btw. Also try a permissions repair...

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
As others have said, it took ages to reboot afterwards, I thought something was wrong. Meh, it's working now. I haven't noticed any benefits yet, it's very subtle of Apple.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Whoa this all sounds very dangerous!

I've had terrible problems with Airport since 10.4.3. the reception seems lower than normal. oh well, the update icon is bouncing so it must have downloaded. here i go!

Toe

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2002
Judging by the picture on the description page, it sure looks like this is a basestation update. however, under system requirements, it lists "Mac OS X 10.4.3 or later and AirPort Extreme Card" which implies that it is an airport card update.

I just ran it on my iMac G5 (which has no Airport), and it did install... but it didn't change the Airport Admin Utility, nor does that utility offer any updates to my basestations.

So I guess it is a card update. As best as I can tell, it is for compatibility with AP cards under 10.4.3 and some 3rd party wifi stuff.

Ashapalan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2005
England
i use a belkin router and occasionally a webpage will just be unaccesable.

I'm hoping that this will be the one...

Toe

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2002
Btw

While we're on the subject of airports... if you're using one, be sure to use WPA.

WEP can be broken in THREE MINUTES. Not kidding. WPA, on the other hand, is secure.