Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
Toe said:
Judging by the picture on the description page, it sure looks like this is a basestation update. however, under system requirements, it lists "Mac OS X 10.4.3 or later and AirPort Extreme Card" which implies that it is an airport card update.

I just ran it on my iMac G5 (which has no Airport), and it did install... but it didn't change the Airport Admin Utility, nor does that utility offer any updates to my basestations.

So I guess it is a card update. As best as I can tell, it is for compatibility with AP cards under 10.4.3 and some 3rd party wifi stuff.

Software Update showed the update but it wasn't ticked.
Installed fine on my old iBook with the original (802.11b) AP card.

Also, you think they could have waited a few hours or so and rolled this into 10.4.3? You know, for all the uptime nazis out there.

kasei

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I was worried about the long boot, but it did the same thing after I updated to 10.4.3 My signal strength has gone up since this update. I will know tomorrow when I go to the office. There are several wireless access points, but the signals are so low I can't connect to them.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
how queer! everything is fine for me here, infact my airport reception has been boosted. on the taskbar icon I have 3 black bars and on the 'internet connection/airport' screen i'm getting 8/15 blue light things! usually I get 2 black bars on my taskbar and an alternating blue light rating of 2-5.

nice one!

Bluetooth is fine too. Boot up took a little longer than normal. but nothing more dramatic than that for me!

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Toe said:
While we're on the subject of airports... if you're using one, be sure to use WPA.

WEP can be broken in THREE MINUTES. Not kidding. WPA, on the other hand, is secure.

I have no security but the router is in the middle of the house, which is in the middle of a field and my neighbours are pretty much on the horizon. long live rural living! seriously, im at the furthest possible point away from the router whilst still indoors and my signal is far from good. plus there's metal sheets in the walls. I cant get a signal at all in the gardens!

valkraider

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2004
iAFC said:
Apple is pissing everybody off with all these crappy updates!

Yeah, you're right.

I would just rather be using OS X 10.0.4. It was perfect.

I hate when they go and improve things, and add features, and fix bugs. That just pisses me off.

And just an FYI:

A minority of the comment readers applying this update are having problems.
And the readers of MacRumors comments are a minority of MacRumors readers in general.
And the MacRumors readers are a minority of the active Apple oriented internet community.
And the active Apple Internet Community is a minority of the Apple users on the internet.
And the Apple owners are a minority of the Computer users.

So your definition of "everybody" might be a bit small....

Dokter_Mac

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2005
karellen said:
Already done a restart and reset the PMU thing.

It says: "No Airport Hardware found"
Try a Safe Boot , restart and hold your shift-key.(Until you come to the loginscreen).Login and then restart normal.

aprilfools

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2004
Southern California
no problem so far but.....

I did the 10.4.3 update yesterday on my iMac G5 rev B. I had no problems. I also did the airport update right now. no prob with that either however........ an unusually long start up after the restart. I do wonder why Apple could not have inluded this in the 10.4.3 update unless the 10.4.3 update did infact screw things up for alot of Tiger users. I bet most probs are because lots of you have extra stuff in your macs. Extra stuff that you like but that you don't really need. Hey I'm all for third party development but most of that crap does more damage than good in your computer. You have lots of it in your computer and than complain when Apple OS gets updated and than you blame it on Apple. Lets face it. You don't really need all that extra third party crap you keep downloading because you think it makes your computer work better. I am right and you know it.

The biggest joke is those of you that don't actually own the brand new iMac (iSight) but figure out how to get a hold of Photobooth or Front Row. But.... but..... than you discover they don't work too good in your Mac. Hello?? Anybody home?? Apple doesn't support that on any Mac but the new iMac at this time. You should know that. Hello? Anybody home? Stop downloading all the third party crap and stop blamming Apple when things go wrong with your computer when Apple releases OS updates.

cepler

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2005
Columbus, OH
BrandonKea said:
I had a long reboot after the OSX update, but no problems with the Airport update. Hope all stays well.

Not sure why people think these long reboot times are odd, it's obvious that the OS will need to update files that are otherwise in use during a normal restart and thus do this prior to loading the UI components. A long startup for updates is probably quite common and normal. (I'm new to MacOS but have been a long-time Linux user since it's inception as well as Windows) I wouldn't stress about long start-up times after an update, I'd expect them and know my system was probably hard at work updating libraries etc. Turn on verbose output when booting so you can see what might be going on rather than staring at a spinny circle thingie...

danielsan26

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2004
Installed. No extra long boot here and no problems, unless you count being able to get on a friend's 2wire (blech) WPA encrypted router that I previously couldn't join a problem. I don't know if I'm better off or not being able to join that wretched brand's router or not.

sstanhill

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
All's well

Installed fine, I get better reception. I have a 1 GHz iBook. Longer boot time, but what's the big deal? Apple's not going to be like "okay, here guys, here's an update" and then think "oh crap - did we forget to make it so it would restart?" Seriously.

slimflem

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2005
aprilfools said:
I did the 10.4.3 update yesterday on my iMac G5 rev B. I had no problems. I also did the airport update right now. no prob with that either however........ an unusually long start up after the restart. I do wonder why Apple could not have inluded this in the 10.4.3 update unless the 10.4.3 update did infact screw things up for alot of Tiger users. I bet most probs are because lots of you have extra stuff in your macs. Extra stuff that you like but that you don't really need. Hey I'm all for third party development but most of that crap does more damage than good in your computer. You have lots of it in your computer and than complain when Apple OS gets updated and than you blame it on Apple. Lets face it. You don't really need all that extra third party crap you keep downloading because you think it makes your computer work better. I am right and you know it.

The biggest joke is those of you that don't actually own the brand new iMac (iSight) but figure out how to get a hold of Photobooth or Front Row. But.... but..... than you discover they don't work too good in your Mac. Hello?? Anybody home?? Apple doesn't support that on any Mac but the new iMac at this time. You should know that. Hello? Anybody home? Stop downloading all the third party crap and stop blamming Apple when things go wrong with your computer when Apple releases OS updates.

Yo! you nailed it. I keep my PowerBook clean and free from most all of those add-on, haxies, Dock hacking, Menu Bar hacking, installing these strange OS-level skins, etc, etc,...that crud will just cause you grief at OS update time. Why? It clutters your system with goo and does stuff its not supposed to do. Yes, there are lots of respectable progs out there that try their hardest to do the right thing, but when you install so much extra stuff and uninstall, reinstall, install, uninstall, mod, hack this, hack that, you are almost asking for something to go off-track some during a big OS update. Keep it as clean as possible.

I love the fact that Apple makes those harder decisions sometimes to move the technology ahead and make changes/improvements to the OS that will possibly break some 3rd-party software, or even some of their own for a short period. It just makes things better in the end. They even take this approach to the kernel programming. They have the KPI which basicallly provides a versioned, abstracted view of the kernel api's over the last several revisions with each revision being rolled towards being not supported. So once the KPI rolls thru several revisions and you haven't taken the last several chances to get your software udpated, then its the 3rd-party's fault, not Apple's. That was just an example, but the same principal applies to higher-level stuff too. Unlike Windows, which tries to maintain backwards compat for everything under the sun for its entire existence, OS X does not become so bloated with so much stuff to manage and deal with and risk causing problems.

My Yute

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2005
There was a problem w/ the mid 2005 ibooks (and then later on the late 2005 powerbooks) where if someone were using more than 1 gb of ram under heavy network usage the card will fail. This update fixes it, so that's probably the primary reason for releasing the update. It may fix other things tho.

iZoom P5

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Still undecided on whether to install the update or not. I'm running a Rev A. iMac G5 and since I've updated to Tiger 10.4.0 (10.3.8 was flawless) everytime I put my computer to sleep, I lose my airport connection and won't get it back until I restart. It recognizes my network in the menu bar, but when I click on it I get the famous "There was an error connecting to this wireless network" or something like that. In addition, I would only ever get 1-2 bars on the menu bar reguarly, having 3 would be pushing it.

Luckily, since I've updated to 10.4.3, in addition the to increased responsiveness, Airport's signal is up to 3-4 bars normally BUT I still can't put my computer to sleep without losing the network.

Any comments, questions or concerns? I'm going to wait for some more feedback before updating.

mgr1047

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2005
This download broke my powerbook!!

Now when I start up my Powerbook, I get a screen that states (in every language):

"unable to find driver for this platform"
"you need to restart your computer. Hold down Power"
"no debugger configured - dumping debug information"
"latest stack bactrace for cpu 0"
"proceeding back via exception chain"
"kernal version: darwin kernel version 8.3.0:
"panic: we are hanging here..."

I have restarted about 10 times and keep getting the same message.
Anybody else having a similar problem?

joker2

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2003
DC area
All is fine here. Rev. B 12" PowerBook (DVI). Consistently getting full strength signal bars now. It was better after July's update, and now is finally consistent.

sirron

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2001
Valley Center
OH NoOoo!

This update killed my Wacom Tablet and reset all my Mighty Mouse settings. Wacom will NOT re-install, so I had to go back to using my Apple mouse AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!:( :mad: :( :mad: :( :mad: :mad: :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.