Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gwerhart0800

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
Loveland, CO
I have a weird situation where the Airport Utility (either on the iPhone or my iMac) does not see my primary Airport Extreme base station, but I can reach it by entering it's IP address and password in the "Configure Other" dialog box. Strangely, the Airport Utility does show the two Airport Express units that I am using to extend my network for a few things that need an Ethernet connection. Those show as "green dot" and every thing is able to reach the Internet.

Any ideas?

bmc5311

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2016
lost in the vast machine
I'm having the sam issue - posted at Apple.com and have received no responses.

Full post: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7635719

airport.png

arilev

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2004
Oakland, CA
Same here on my Time Capsule. Wifi works on all my devices but Airport Utility can't find the Time Capsule and Time Machine can't find the Backup drive.

After a bit of troubleshooting I think it may have something to do with configuring Back to my Mac on the Airport/Time Capsule. If I reset the router back to factory defaults and set up as new, it appears in Airport Utility just fine. If I then use Airport Utility to edit settings (say Port Forwarding) it applies them and restarts the Airport/Time Capsule without a problem. That is until I try to add my iCloud account for Back to my Mac. Then after applying settings I get an error and Airport Utility doesn't connect anymore despite wifi/internet working. I can duplicate this consistently.

Right now I running my Time Capsule without the iCloud account setup and everything is working just fine.

ammarfatani

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2014
Same here on my Time Capsule. Wifi works on all my devices but Airport Utility can't find the Time Capsule and Time Machine can't find the Backup drive.

After a bit of troubleshooting I think it may have something to do with configuring Back to my Mac on the Airport/Time Capsule. If I reset the router back to factory defaults and set up as new, it appears in Airport Utility just fine. If I then use Airport Utility to edit settings (say Port Forwarding) it applies them and restarts the Airport/Time Capsule without a problem. That is until I try to add my iCloud account for Back to my Mac. Then after applying settings I get an error and Airport Utility doesn't connect anymore despite wifi/internet working. I can duplicate this consistently.

Right now I running my Time Capsule without the iCloud account setup and everything is working just fine.

I am having the same problem today. Airport utility and Time machine are not seeing my Airport Time capsule.
How can I reset the time capsule to factory setting? Will that erase already stored backups?

bmc5311

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2016
lost in the vast machine
........Right now I running my Time Capsule without the iCloud account setup and everything is working just fine.

Just disabled Back to my Mac on both Airport Extremes, all is working as it should.

Looks like it's an iCloud issue, which makes sense, since the issue manifested itself without me making any changes on my end.

Thank you for posting!

Reactions: thewhitehart

ammarfatani

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2014
Just disabled Back to my Mac on both Airport Extremes, all is working as it should.

Looks like it's an iCloud issue, which makes sense, since the issue manifested itself without me making any changes on my end.

Thank you for posting!
How can disable back to my mac in my Airport Time capsule? I don't see it in Airport utility.
Do I need to hard reset or restore to factory setting to do it?

bmc5311

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2016
lost in the vast machine
How can disable back to my mac in my Airport Time capsule? I don't see it in Airport utility.
Do I need to hard reset or restore to factory setting to do it?

Restoring it to factory settings would probably work.

But you don't need to nuke it..

You can try this (assuming you still can't see your Time Capsule) -

Open the Airport Utility
Under the File menu (left hand corner of your screen next to the Apple Menu) chose "Configure other..."
Enter the IP address and password to the Time Capsule when prompted.
Click the Base Station Tab
Make sure there are no entries in the "Back to my Mac Box."

MAC_ROUMERS.png

ammarfatani

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2014

Open the Airport Utility
Under the File menu (left hand corner of your screen next to the Apple Menu) chose "Configure other..."

MAC_ROUMERS.png
Thanks for the reply. I tried to access my Airport time capsule using the ip but got an error in loading the profile. Any thoughts?

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Just adding that i'm the same too - whats annoying is that I can't use my printer connected at the moment either and it's causing other issues. Two Airport Extremes as well, can't connected via OS X server either.

Edit: Using @bmc5311 instructions I was able to connect to my main Airport, as soon as I turned off Back to my Mac and updated, my labels printed out!

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2013
This issue happens to me sporadically but I have never setup back to my Mac feature on my AirPort Extreme.

brian.tully

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2016

Open the Airport Utility

MAC_ROUMERS.png

Thank you so much to you and @arilev for figuring out this was a "Back to my Mac" iCloud issue and for posting such wonderful directions on how to get the AirPort Extreme back and displaying within Airport Utility! I can't thank you enough :)

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Mine just started acting up this afternoon. I went to print something to a USB printer connected to AETC and printer status says the printer is not connected. Removed back to my mac and everything has been working.

arilev

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2004
Oakland, CA
The same thing happened to me. I noticed the problem because I couldn't use Back To My Mac after setting up two-factor authentication and changing my Apple ID password. Following advice from @bmc5311 solved the issue. Thank you!

I'm also using 2 factor authentication (not 2 step verification which is, confusingly, different). Wondering if that's the cause even though I set up 2FA long before the issue started. Is anybody else using 2FA.

I'd turn it off myself to find out but there is a 3 day waiting period to turn it back on once it's been turned off. Just eems an annoying exercise.

Krek

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2016
I'm also using 2 factor authentication (not 2 step verification which is, confusingly, different). Wondering if that's the cause even though I set up 2FA long before the issue started. Is anybody else using 2FA.

I'd turn it off myself to find out but there is a 3 day waiting period to turn it back on once it's been turned off. Just eems an annoying exercise.

Created an account just to say this was happening to me and thank you to ariliev for posting the fix!

I also use 2FA and have two Airport Extreme's in the house that were causing me issues. The biggest issue was that the Timed Access was no longer working and the kids were taking advantage of it! Now maybe they will start getting a good sleep again.

arilev

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2004
Oakland, CA
Issue seems to be resolved, at least on my end. I just tried signing in to Back to my Mac on the Airport and this time it updated and appears correctly in Airport Utility. Hopefully it's back up for everybody else as well.

Krek

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2016
Thanks for the update. I'll give it until the weekend before I try it out.

Seank78

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2016

Thanks for posting this arilev and bmc5311! Even apple support was stumped when I called them. The guy said it is an issue that apple is aware of and that there should be an update pushed within the next few days to correct the problem. But as someone who doesn't use "back to the mac" everything is working well again! Cheers!

sumo.do

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2014
Australia
Is anyone (who is having the issue noted in the original post and has removed BTMM Apple IDs) also having IPv6 connectivity issues? I have noticed that around the same time I started having these issues (noted in the original post) my Apple TC and AirPort Extreme both have stop pulling IPv6 DNS and addresse from my ISP. It's like my ISP does not have any IPv6 capability (when it does). I have no problems with getting IPv6 addresses etc with my Macs and other routers directly connected to the modem (fiber network termination device). So it appears to not be the ISP or cabling. Simply put, only the Airports are not dealing with any IPv6, whether it be pulling or assinging. I have tried everything (factory reset etc.). I am just wondering whether the BTMM problem is larger and affects other areas of the AirPorts?

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
There was a post around somewhere discussing DNS and changing those setting resolved some of the issues. I'll try to check my browsing history for it.

sumo.do

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2014
Australia
There was a post around somewhere discussing DNS and changing those setting resolved some of the issues. I'll try to check my browsing history for it.

Much appreciated. I might search my new issue as a stand alone. I may not be linked to the BTMM issue even though it occurred at the same time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.