Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vkemppin

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2017
Restoring it to factory settings would probably work.

But you don't need to nuke it..

You can try this (assuming you still can't see your Time Capsule) -

Open the Airport Utility
Under the File menu (left hand corner of your screen next to the Apple Menu) chose "Configure other..."
Enter the IP address and password to the Time Capsule when prompted.
Click the Base Station Tab
Make sure there are no entries in the "Back to my Mac Box."

When I try to use the Configure other... option, I get an error message saying "An error occurred while reading the configuration..". Any ideas what is causing this?

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
Sorry for resurrecting this thread but it describes what I'm experiencing.

BTMM is not configured any where on my systems. Nor is it configured in the TC. But my local computer, connected to the TC by CAT5, cannot see the TC in the Airport Utility.

If I power the TC down and then back in, it sees it for a time.

All TM functionality works as well as router and WiFi, just can't configure it. Not even entering the IP address/Password works.

IPv6 has been disabled in both the TC and both Mac systems. Cannot connect via the Configure Other option in the Airport Utility.

I do use 2FA for the App Store but again, BTMM is not enabled in any location so not sure that would be the issue.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

WiLLGT09

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2007
Any updates on this @TonyK? I just started noticing this problem today. Same symptoms and setup as your's for the most part (wi-fi still works great, Time Machine backups work, and Back to my Mac is not setup on my laptop).

Pretty weird issue.

Thanks!

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
I did some work at the time of my last post. Can't remember now what all was done but when I checked just recently Airport Utility was still showing both TimeMachines/TimeCapsules and that is good.

WiLLGT09

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2007
Ah, I think I missed a point. My TC is still visible in Airport Utility, but I just can't access it to change settings or what not. It eventually displays a "device not found" message with the yellow exclamation point icon. I guess I could try a factory reset on it.

Thanks!

WiLLGT09

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2007
Ah, well the good 'ol "Have you tried turning it off and on again" did the trick.

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
Ah, I think I missed a point. My TC is still visible in Airport Utility, but I just can't access it to change settings or what not. It eventually displays a "device not found" message with the yellow exclamation point icon. I guess I could try a factory reset on it.

Thanks!

Ah, well the good 'ol "Have you tried turning it off and on again" did the trick.

I tried the on/off trick. It appeared for a short period of time and then did the "not found" thing again. But after I did some work disabling IPv6 across the board from the internal network, it seemed to settle down and behave.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.