Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As discovered by MacRumors tipster Sri Ram and others on Twitter, Apple has referenced its long-awaited AirPower charging mat in the product description for its new iPhone XS Smart Battery Case in Malaysia.

iphone-xs-case-airpower-800x837.jpg

Apple released Smart Battery Cases for the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR on Tuesday following several rumors.

The listing remains live as of Wednesday morning, noting that the Smart Battery Case is "compatible with AirPower Wireless Charging Mat and other Qi-certified chargers." The case's description in the United States and other countries we checked only mentions compatibility with Qi-certified chargers.

Apple failed to deliver on its promise of releasing the AirPower in 2018, but a report over the weekend suggested that Apple suppliers Luxshare Precision and Pegatron have or will soon start mass production of the AirPower, with an alleged supply chain source saying it will be released soon.

airpoweriphone8.jpg

For the sake of covering all bases, there is a possibility the report about mass production was inaccurate and that Apple prepared the Smart Battery Case product description before abandoning its AirPower plans, but simply forgot to scrub the word AirPower from a single product description in a few countries.

AirPower is not mentioned on any other Smart Battery Case product pages in Malaysia, the United States, or other countries we checked.

Back in October, however, Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said the AirPower may be released by the early first quarter of 2019, while developer Steve Troughton-Smith recently said he has heard Apple may have overcome technical challenges with the AirPower and could presumably move forward with a release.

Apple has not commented on the AirPower in several months and removed all but a few mentions of the mat from its website following its September 2018 event. AirPower is, however, still referenced in the latest iPhone user guides, in some recent Apple job listings, and in a few recent Apple patent applications.

AirPower would be able to inductively charge multiple Apple devices at once, including the iPhone 8 and newer, Apple Watch Series 3 and newer, and AirPods placed in an as-of-yet unreleased charging case listed as "currently unavailable." Apple unveiled the accessory at its September 2017 event alongside the iPhone X.

Update: AirPower does not appear to be referenced in the iPhone XS Smart Battery Case user guide, according to Rene Ritchie.

Update 2: Apple has now removed the AirPower reference from the Malaysian page.

Article Link: AirPower Referenced in iPhone XS Smart Battery Case Description in Malaysia [Removed]

imran5720

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2013
Bring it on , AirPower and Smart Battery Case
so now necessary accessories are going to cost more that older iPhones

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
"... before abandoning its AirPower plans..."
Before the first abandoning of AirPower plans, I thought it recently shipped or has it been abandoned again ?
Or was that just abandoning the abandoning of AirPower (supposed, if ever) ?
I guess the combination of rumors and rumored cancellations is leading to a perpetuum of incongruencies/Cookgrettables

yossi

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
Wonder if I can drive my Tesla over an airpower and charge it that way.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I’m all for apple releasing new products because they need to do that. But this isn’t one I was ever interested in. Stands are pretty cheap and do the trick. It’s a fail on Apple that I don’t have wireless stands with an Apple logo on them.

kruegdude

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2011
I really do hope the AirPower comes to market. After dealing with the Belkin charger with its precise placement needs the AirPower will definitely be on my purchase list.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Too late to the market for anyone to care.
There is still nothing on the market that does what this does though. So that statement isn’t really true.
[doublepost=1547647713][/doublepost]
All of this Airpower talk but when the price is $149...everyone will be even more mad.
Think it would be a fair price to be honest given it would charge 3 devices at once. Bare in mind the market for a branded wireless charger is what 50 quid?

Reactions: Sasparilla

Marzel

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2018
All of this Airpower talk but when the price is $149...everyone will be even more mad.
It is going to be at least that but honestly, there is nothing like it. Samsung is charging $120 for their mat which charges both a phone and a galaxy watch and it still requires specific placement. Apple is supposed to offer a mat where you can put your phone, apple watch and airpods anywhere on the mat. There is nothing like it as of now.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Really don't care. There is a tons of products at Apple.com that need some serious attention. Airpower is not one of them.

adamdport

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2011
What happened to magsafe? That was incredible. I'd love to see that on a phone. Instead, they got rid of it on the macbooks?

Reactions: Applfan81

millerlite

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
Am I the only one who doesn't care about this? I'd much rather have the flexibility of a cord, especially when using my phone in bed or on the couch, than having to keep the phone in one place on a mat. The only "wireless" charging that I will care about is the kind that literally comes through the air and isn't reliant on a mat or keeping the phone stationary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.