AirPrint printers

clarkie604

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2010
Does anybody have a suggestion for a solid Airprint printer? My current workhorse is dying and its time to upgrade.

Thanks in advance.

pacmania1982

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
I bought a HP 1050a printer, scanner, copier for £35 a couple of months back. It is wireless and works with AirPrint. It also has ePrint so if you have say an Android phone/tablet you can email your documents to an address you create and it will print it out.

Its not the prettiest thing, and the scanner is a bit loud (you can use that wirelessly on Windows and Mac OS X too) but the ink cartridges are cheap.

I bought some photo paper and it did a pretty good job of printing out some test images, although I found that the highest print quality and the one below, I couldn't tell the difference in quality. One took about 4 mins to print, the other about a minute.

So far I'm very happy with it and I really can't complain!

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
If you're looking for a basic workhorse I picked up an HP P1102W very cheap when Staples had a deal going (plus coupon). TheAirPrint feature works great - but it's just a basic B&W laser printer.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
If you're looking for a basic workhorse I picked up an HP P1102W very cheap when Staples had a deal going (plus coupon). TheAirPrint feature works great - but it's just a basic B&W laser printer.
+1. Very nice, cheap, solid b&w printer.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
You didn't say what features you wanted or needed. But you did say "workhorse". To me, a workhorse printer is a B/W laser printer that can crank out page after page. Very few inkjets can keep up with continuous printing like a solid laser printer.

With that said, I absolutely recommend the HP 1536dnf all-in-one. It's got everything you need in a SOHO printer.

Airprint ... check
Auto duplex ... check
Fast printing speeds ... check
Copier ... check
Color scanner ... check
Fax ... check
Quality build ... check
Network capable ... check

On the downside, it doesn't have wifi (only ethernet). That's about it's only flaw.

If you don't need the AIO features, HP also sells this as a straight printer (same printing engine) with Airprint, duplex, and network. It's the HP 1606dn.

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I have the Epson Workforce 545 and Airprint and wireless printing work great on it. I don't print a lot of pages but if I did I think the small print cartridges would get expensive. Goes for around $90-100 online.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Just install printopia on your computer, then you can get any printer you want to be able to print from your ipad.

http://www.ecamm.com/mac/printopia/
This works fine, but the OP never mentioned if he's on a Mac or PC. Also, not everyone wants to leave a computer on just for printer sharing.

But, if the OP has a Mac that's typically left on, and the Mac is somehow connected to the printer (either via USB or networked via ethernet/wifi), then this is a good option. It opens you up to all sorts other options.

BTW, there are other options, both PC and Mac. I used to use Airprint Activator on my Mac. I think there's a PC version of that now.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
I'm looking for an AirPrint ready printer also, but of the laser variety.

Any suggestions?

artgalgenius

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2012
California
I have the HP Photosmart 6515 that works wirelessly with my macbook and PC as well as my iPad. I got it at Costco which can also refill the cartridges. I am realistic in my expectations on refilled cartridges-I know HP printers don't always like to play with refilled cartridges but whatever.

chokem

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2012
Searcy, AR
I have the HP 5510 Photosmart with AirPrint capabilities. Took me 5 minutes to sync it to my iPad and iPhone. Print quality is above average, printing time is also above average. I'm very happy with it. I paid less than $100 for it at Staples. Best Buy runs sales on them from time to time for $75.

StevenT42

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
I just picked this up from Amazon and had problems setting up wireless printing under Mac OS 10.7. The only way I was able to get wireless to work was to first set it up on a Windows laptop. Then wireless printing and AirPrint worked.

Of course, Printopia recognized the printer immediately while I had the printer hooked up to USB. Printopia is the way to go if your printer is wired to a Mac.

Edit...it looks like the procedure at this link would have allowed me to install wireless on the Mac:

http://mactheblog.com/index.php/com...an-hp-laserjet-p1102w-printer-wirelessly.html

Last edited:

SuperCachetes

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
+3 or 4 or whatever we are up to.

Just got one of these last night, and within 20 minutes had a Windows box (USB), my MBP (10.7 / wireless), iPad, iPhone, and Windows on the MBP (Boot Camp / wireless) all printing to it. Seems like a very solid deal.

PaulNY

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
I picked up an HP OfficeJet 8600 from Staples. Airprint was a breeze to setup, as was ePrint. Been using it for about 2 weeks and it's been solid.

VFC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
SE PA.
I have a Canon PIXMA MG5320 All-In-One. Easy Airprint setup. Works great with my iPad and a number of PCs and laptops we have at home.

FrankHahn

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
You didn't say what features you wanted or needed. But you did say "workhorse". To me, a workhorse printer is a B/W laser printer that can crank out page after page. Very few inkjets can keep up with continuous printing like a solid laser printer.

With that said, I absolutely recommend the HP 1536dnf all-in-one. It's got everything you need in a SOHO printer.

Airprint ... check
Auto duplex ... check
Fast printing speeds ... check
Copier ... check
Color scanner ... check
Fax ... check
Quality build ... check
Network capable ... check

On the downside, it doesn't have wifi (only ethernet). That's about it's only flaw.

If you don't need the AIO features, HP also sells this as a straight printer (same printing engine) with Airprint, duplex, and network. It's the HP 1606dn.
+1.
I am also using an HP LJ1536dnf MFP. It has been serving me beautifully. I strongly recommend it!

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Also, not everyone wants to leave a computer on just for printer sharing.
^ This. I'm actually looking to get rid on my always on desktop PC as it's a costly (from an electricity standpoint) AirPrint solution.

windmill83

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2010
Will AirPrint work on a dual-band WiFi network? All the printers I looked at only supported 2.4 Ghz WiFi. My iPad 3 is connected to the 5 Ghz band. Will AirPrint work like this or does the iPad also need to be connected via 2.4Ghz?

SuperCachetes

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
Will AirPrint work on a dual-band WiFi network? All the printers I looked at only supported 2.4 Ghz WiFi. My iPad 3 is connected to the 5 Ghz band. Will AirPrint work like this or does the iPad also need to be connected via 2.4Ghz?
It should work either way. You didn't say what router you have, but I have a Time Capsule where the 2.4/5 gHz bands are named differently, and my MBP (5), iPhone 4 (2.4) and iPad 2 (2.4) all print to the printer (2.4) fine via AirPrint.

gfiz

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2009
Virginia
Epson workhorse 845 might be the best printer regardless of inkjet/laser, i've ever owned for my house. And works great with my iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.