AirPrint printers

Discussion in 'iPad' started by clarkie604, Jun 6, 2012.

1. clarkie604 macrumors member

Does anybody have a suggestion for a solid Airprint printer? My current workhorse is dying and its time to upgrade.

Thanks in advance.

2. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

I have the HP CN503B Photosmart Premium e-All-in-One Printer never had a problem with it.

3. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

I bought a HP 1050a printer, scanner, copier for £35 a couple of months back. It is wireless and works with AirPrint. It also has ePrint so if you have say an Android phone/tablet you can email your documents to an address you create and it will print it out.

Its not the prettiest thing, and the scanner is a bit loud (you can use that wirelessly on Windows and Mac OS X too) but the ink cartridges are cheap.

I bought some photo paper and it did a pretty good job of printing out some test images, although I found that the highest print quality and the one below, I couldn't tell the difference in quality. One took about 4 mins to print, the other about a minute.

So far I'm very happy with it and I really can't complain!

4. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

If you're looking for a basic workhorse I picked up an HP P1102W very cheap when Staples had a deal going (plus coupon). TheAirPrint feature works great - but it's just a basic B&W laser printer.

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

+1. Very nice, cheap, solid b&w printer.

6. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

You didn't say what features you wanted or needed. But you did say "workhorse". To me, a workhorse printer is a B/W laser printer that can crank out page after page. Very few inkjets can keep up with continuous printing like a solid laser printer.

With that said, I absolutely recommend the HP 1536dnf all-in-one. It's got everything you need in a SOHO printer.

Airprint ... check
    Auto duplex ... check
    Fast printing speeds ... check
    Copier ... check
    Color scanner ... check
    Fax ... check
    Quality build ... check
    Network capable ... check

On the downside, it doesn't have wifi (only ethernet). That's about it's only flaw.

If you don't need the AIO features, HP also sells this as a straight printer (same printing engine) with Airprint, duplex, and network. It's the HP 1606dn.

7. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

8. Dunbar macrumors 6502

I have the Epson Workforce 545 and Airprint and wireless printing work great on it. I don't print a lot of pages but if I did I think the small print cartridges would get expensive. Goes for around $90-100 online.

9. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

This works fine, but the OP never mentioned if he's on a Mac or PC. Also, not everyone wants to leave a computer on just for printer sharing.

But, if the OP has a Mac that's typically left on, and the Mac is somehow connected to the printer (either via USB or networked via ethernet/wifi), then this is a good option. It opens you up to all sorts other options.

BTW, there are other options, both PC and Mac. I used to use Airprint Activator on my Mac. I think there's a PC version of that now.

10. xraytech macrumors 68020

I'm looking for an AirPrint ready printer also, but of the laser variety.

Any suggestions?

11. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Read posts 4 and 5

12. artgalgenius macrumors member

I have the HP Photosmart 6515 that works wirelessly with my macbook and PC as well as my iPad. I got it at Costco which can also refill the cartridges. I am realistic in my expectations on refilled cartridges-I know HP printers don't always like to play with refilled cartridges but whatever.

13. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

14. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

15. chokem macrumors 6502

I have the HP 5510 Photosmart with AirPrint capabilities. Took me 5 minutes to sync it to my iPad and iPhone. Print quality is above average, printing time is also above average. I'm very happy with it. I paid less than $100 for it at Staples. Best Buy runs sales on them from time to time for $75.

16. StevenT42, Jun 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2012

StevenT42 macrumors 6502

I just picked this up from Amazon and had problems setting up wireless printing under Mac OS 10.7. The only way I was able to get wireless to work was to first set it up on a Windows laptop. Then wireless printing and AirPrint worked.

Of course, Printopia recognized the printer immediately while I had the printer hooked up to USB. Printopia is the way to go if your printer is wired to a Mac.

Edit...it looks like the procedure at this link would have allowed me to install wireless on the Mac:

http://mactheblog.com/index.php/com...an-hp-laserjet-p1102w-printer-wirelessly.html

17. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

+3 or 4 or whatever we are up to.

Just got one of these last night, and within 20 minutes had a Windows box (USB), my MBP (10.7 / wireless), iPad, iPhone, and Windows on the MBP (Boot Camp / wireless) all printing to it. Seems like a very solid deal.

18. PaulNY macrumors member

I picked up an HP OfficeJet 8600 from Staples. Airprint was a breeze to setup, as was ePrint. Been using it for about 2 weeks and it's been solid.

19. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

I agree with this. Don't let Apple dictate what brand printer you have to buy (i.e., HP) when with Printopia you have a choice of any printer.

20. VFC macrumors 6502a

I have a Canon PIXMA MG5320 All-In-One. Easy Airprint setup. Works great with my iPad and a number of PCs and laptops we have at home.

21. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

+1.
    I am also using an HP LJ1536dnf MFP. It has been serving me beautifully. I strongly recommend it!

22. takeshi74 macrumors 601

^ This. I'm actually looking to get rid on my always on desktop PC as it's a costly (from an electricity standpoint) AirPrint solution.

23. windmill83 macrumors member

Will AirPrint work on a dual-band WiFi network? All the printers I looked at only supported 2.4 Ghz WiFi. My iPad 3 is connected to the 5 Ghz band. Will AirPrint work like this or does the iPad also need to be connected via 2.4Ghz?

24. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

It should work either way. You didn't say what router you have, but I have a Time Capsule where the 2.4/5 gHz bands are named differently, and my MBP (5), iPhone 4 (2.4) and iPad 2 (2.4) all print to the printer (2.4) fine via AirPrint.

25. gfiz macrumors 6502

gfiz

Epson workhorse 845 might be the best printer regardless of inkjet/laser, i've ever owned for my house. And works great with my iPad.