Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fairnymph

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
Chapel Hill, NC
Sometimes my iphone's alarm fails to go off. I usually set at least 2 alarms. When I finally wake up, and slide on my phone, THEN the alarms go off, even though it's many hours later.

Any clue why this happens? The iphone alarm is one of the few that I actually wake up to, so having it fail is creating major problems.

AppleSJ511606

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2005
Sometimes my iphone's alarm fails to go off. I usually set at least 2 alarms. When I finally wake up, and slide on my phone, THEN the alarms go off, even though it's many hours later.

Any clue why this happens? The iphone alarm is one of the few that I actually wake up to, so having it fail is creating major problems.

Odd indeed. Do you have anything that might be contributing to "offsetting" functions of your iPhone like 3rd party apps or an unlocked phone?

And what firmware are you using? Have you tried restoring it?

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Mine's hacked. I can't remember if this has happened or not. I'll check over the weekend.

fairnymph

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
Chapel Hill, NC
It is not hacked in any way; no 3rd party apps.

Firmware version 1.1.1.

I haven't tried restoring or anything like that, but if I recall, this problem predates the most recent update. It's hard to say for sure because it is an intermittent problem.

AppleSJ511606

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2005
the only problems I've had with my alarm is the fact that I've had it on viberate or volume all the way off and my iPhone is hacked via appsnapp. I've never heard anything to where it will go off later. Check apple's support???

Bernie-Mac

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Sin City, NV
Are you sure that the pm and am are the right ones? I kno i have overslept a few times because i set my alarm at 7 pm instead of am and didnt even notice

sdd4

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2007

I've definitely had this happen to me on more than one occasion. I'll unlock my phone and all of the alarms and scheduled tasks that may have occurred while it was locked all go off at once.

I have no clue why it did it, but I think it may have had to do with the time-resetting issue during a sync. Did you sync your phone or leave it attached to a computer right before or during the night?

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
Are you sure that the pm and am are the right ones? I kno i have overslept a few times because i set my alarm at 7 pm instead of am and didnt even notice

I've definitely had this happen to me on more than one occasion. I'll unlock my phone and all of the alarms and scheduled tasks that may have occurred while it was locked all go off at once.

I have no clue why it did it, but I think it may have had to do with the time-resetting issue during a sync. Did you sync your phone or leave it attached to a computer right before or during the night?

ya, it was the correct time... and the alarm didn't go off ... but as soon as i unlocked the phone, the alarm goes off and displays the alarm message ...

KittyToy

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2007
Davenport
that's odd i suggest taking it in and have it looked at, i use my alarm twice a day and never had a problem and my phone is hacked.:D

fairnymph

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
Chapel Hill, NC
I called Apple support and they were absolutely stumped, and suggested a complete clean restore. I guess I will do that, but it's sort of a pain because I use the calendar and notes CONSTANTLY and have a ton of data in there. I don't use calendar on my desktop so I'll have to set up and sync.I can email m notes to myself but I can't put them BACK on my phone easily.

Maybe this most recent firmware update will fix my problems.

I'm bummed as it's been acting buggy lately anyway - Safari completely crashing, and just a generally, returning to the home screen from whatever app I'm using, for no apparent reason.

I guess a complete restore or a refurbished would probably be wise...

londondude

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2007
I called Apple support and they were absolutely stumped, and suggested a complete clean restore. I guess I will do that, but it's sort of a pain because I use the calendar and notes CONSTANTLY and have a ton of data in there. I don't use calendar on my desktop so I'll have to set up and sync.I can email m notes to myself but I can't put them BACK on my phone easily.

Maybe this most recent firmware update will fix my problems.

I'm bummed as it's been acting buggy lately anyway - Safari completely crashing, and just a generally, returning to the home screen from whatever app I'm using, for no apparent reason.

I guess a complete restore or a refurbished would probably be wise...

I have this alarm problem as it is not 100% constant. (i have a 1.12. new unhacked phone).

The alarm sometimes goes off but doesnt if i set it for many hours in the future. its like if the phone has been locked for more than a certain amount of time the phone goes into sleep mode and does not process the alarm. So when you unlock it it suddenly remembers.

really annoying cos i use my alarms regularly and my old phones would even alarm if the phone was switched off.

saisrujan

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2007
Hmm... I remember having the same problem, but I guess this is what happened.

The alarm rings, but I would be so lazy that I wouldn't bother to switch it off. The phone keeps ranting for some time, and eventually times out (maybe after 5 minutes of non-stop noise) and stops its rant. I continue with my sleep, and wake up shocked after a couple of hours. I unlock the phone wondering what's wrong with the alarm, and then it starts its rant with renewed enthusiasm.

The solution, I plug my phones to a set of speakers, set at reasonable volume. Now, the alarm is so loud that I have to scramble to stop it, and I am all awake.

Its nice that I have to "unlock" the phone to stop the alarm. For that, at least one eye need to be open, and my finger needs to be steady enough!

Hustle

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
USA
When my alarm goes off, i always turn it off and go back to sleep, then wake up an hour later and blame my iPhone for its alarm not working properly. :p

D

rajfantastic

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2007
any updates?? I really need to fix this issue. It usually only happens if I receive calls or text before the alarm goes off.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Did anyone ever find a solution to this? I had this problem with my original iPhone and now the same with my 3GS.

Other than these posters 3 years ago, I don't believe this is a prevalent problem. Did you restore from a backup of the original iPhone onto your 3GS? If so, try restoring again, and setting up as new.

tencentcat

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2003
Denton, Texas
Other than these posters 3 years ago, I don't believe this is a prevalent problem. Did you restore from a backup of the original iPhone onto your 3GS? If so, try restoring again, and setting up as new.
When this happened on my original iPhone, Apple replaced it with a new one.

My 3GS was set up as a new phone, so nothing coming over from the old one.

Patrick J

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Oporto, Portugal
a3707-holy_thread_resurrection_batman.jpg

Some people have the ability to turn off the alarm clock on various devices without waking up.

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
a3707-holy_thread_resurrection_batman.jpg

Some people have the ability to turn off the alarm clock on various devices without waking up.

ha, I've done this more than once. This happened to me on occasion after installing a scheduler to automatically send a text (jailbroken). That's the only time it's happened though where I didn't turn it off in my sleep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.