Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
The Alerts (red icon) isn't working when people respond to my threads.

Often it doesn't show new messages, and when it does, if I click on the button it quickly turns white which isn't how it should or used to behave.

If you have new responses to your threads, the red bell should stay red even when you click on it as long as you have un-read messages.

(Image if your email notification icon showed no new mail after you simply opened up your email?!)

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
I want to correct something I said earlier...

Actually, when I have a new Alert, the red bell appears when I load the page, but then it suddenly disappears even though I did not click on the icon.

So you basically have a split-second to see that you have new Alerts and then after that you'd be clueless which defeats the whole pupose of an indicator?!

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
Tonight I had a red circle that said I have "0" Alerts...

@arn,

Can you look into and try to get the Alerts indicator working again?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
we did an upgrade today, so it might be related. can you tell me if it keeps happening?

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
we did an upgrade today, so it might be related. can you tell me if it keeps happening?

I will keep an eye on things and report back...

What software do you use to run MacRumors, or is it a home-grown solution?

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas

When I get new Alerts - which is usually a response to one of my threads - I do see the red bell and when I click on it it will have a number indicating the number of replies that I got.

However, there is still the problem that after you click on the red bell icon, you no longer see how many new Alerts you have.

THAT is a bug or something...

Imagine if when you hgot new e-mail in Outlook or Thunderbird, if after you opened your Inbox you no longer had an indicator showing new email?! THat would be stupid.

The "new Alerts" indicator should display how many new Alerts that I have UNTILl I open/read a message, and then it should be decremented accordingly..

This is the behavior you would expect in an notifcation system (e.g. email Inbox).

It is not until you read/open an email that it is taken away from the "new messages count".

Simple software design that has existed for decades....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.