Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Bragi has announced that Alexa is set to become a new feature of its Bragi Dash wireless headphones later this year. The company revealed at the IFA trade show today that a software update coming in October will allow Dash and Dash Pro owners to talk to Amazon's virtual assistant in both English and German languages (via The Verge).

Bragi-dash-pro-2-800x498.jpg

After the forthcoming 3.1 update is installed, to activate Alexa users will need to either tap an earbud or use the Dash's "4D menu", which relies on motion sensing to enable users to turn their head left or right and select from a virtual menu.

While Dash (and Dash Pro) users can already use their earbuds to activate Siri and Google, today's news means Bragi Dash are likely to become the first truly wireless earbuds to offer Alexa support, allowing wearers to, say, order a ride from Uber or a coffee from Starbucks.

MacRumors reviewed the Bragi Dash Pro ($330) wireless earbuds back in July and found that the gesture controls impress, but some UI and design frustrations remain. You can read the full review here.

Article Link: Alexa Virtual Assistant Coming to Bragi Dash Wireless Earbuds in October

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
I really don't understand what they're trying to do; jam packing these tiny buds with all sorts of unnecessary features. Heart monitor, real world translation that literally no one is going to use? How about striving to reach the highest amount of battery life, efficiency and reduce size?

Reactions: Vanilla35

ImperfectLion

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2014
Why can't products just be what they're meant to be? E.g make wireless headphones be wireless headphones instead of jamming a ton of features into it which nobody will use (because there are things on their phone which does it better) and will decrease battery life.

Sharkoneau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2017
Michigan
Just like in sports - if your offense hinges on trick plays to win, you can’t win straight up.

Likewise, if you rely on gimmicks to sell your products, you can’t sell enough on the merit of their core features.

Telos101

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2016
Ireland
Just like in sports - if your offense hinges on trick plays to win, you can’t win straight up.

Likewise, if you rely on gimmicks to sell your products, you can’t sell enough on the merit of their core features.

I use Siri on my AirPods in my line of work. I guess a feature for one user is a gimmick to another.

LewisChapman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2015
I really don't understand what they're trying to do; jam packing these tiny buds with all sorts of unnecessary features. Heart monitor, real world translation that literally no one is going to use? How about striving to reach the highest amount of battery life, efficiency and reduce size?

Why can't products just be what they're meant to be? E.g make wireless headphones be wireless headphones instead of jamming a ton of features into it which nobody will use (because there are things on their phone which does it better) and will decrease battery life.

I'm beginning to think that Bragi Dash has become more of a statement at this point. The idea of a 'wearable' and the future of tiny-form technology that can be worn at all times adding functionality and interactiveness to the world around us.

When you think about it - there are plenty of earphone options on the market (AirPods included) that are offering excellent battery life and other earphone options (H&K) that are offering excellent sound quality in wireless form.

Bragi appear to be going down a route that is set to encourage technological growth in this area and I think it is very healthy for the industry and the movement of technology - the development of battery density and power efficiency is something that is being worked on at all times regardless - every industry needs a Bragi to push the gimmicks forward into use.

Also - myself included - are more interested in the little gimmicky features which are cool to show your friends and follow the development of, than the 'Hey my headphones last 5 hours between charges'. Different folk I guess!

DeepIn2U

macrumors G3
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Heart rate monitor is a BIG plus for users of iPhones or Android devices that don't really use Apple or Andorid Watches or any smart watch. The majority of watch owners still use for fashion accessories not to enhance specifics in their lives. Verbal translation is a joke right now and real time translation where it's not too intrusive is a few years out. Great idea but right now in practice it's implementation is a joke.

Personally unless Apple ships the AirPods in Matte Black and with better bass/mid response or with ANC then I'll go with B&O's newly announced E8 buds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.