Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-SD-

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Peterborough, UK
Sega has announced the WiiU version is cancelled, which is hopefully the final nail in the coffin of this very sad story. It's what I've been expecting since the shockingly bad PlayStation reviews started rolling in, and now we have confirmation.

On the positive side, my mate's recently purchased the CPS2 arcade board of Aliens vs Predator which arrived this week. He's coming over with it this evening so that's my Aliens fix sorted :D

:apple:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Sega has announced the WiiU version is cancelled, which is hopefully the final nail in the coffin of this very sad story. It's what I've been expecting since the shockingly bad PlayStation reviews started rolling in, and now we have confirmation.

On the positive side, my mate's recently purchased the CPS2 arcade board of Aliens vs Predator which arrived this week. He's coming over with it this evening so that's my Aliens fix sorted :D

:apple:

Yeah why bother spending more money on a product that given the reception on other formats, was unlikely to sell well on the WiiU

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
At this point it's better - so much negative press, and maybe that blog entry about the Wii U version that was nixed right away for being "fake" had truth in it.

SEGA should develop a totally new game with use of the gamepad rather than try to make them for all consoles. PS4 and the new XBox are to have remote touchscreen capabilities as well...

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Wow! That is shocking...

I was thinking just the other day how Nintendo always takes flack for delaying releases of games to make them better. Here we have a perfect example of a game that never should have been released until vast improvements had been made.

Found the quote I was looking for (months ago) while surfing on doteaters:

"A delayed game is eventually good; a rushed game is forever bad."

Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of Super Mario Bros.

I don't know why this game (and my post) stuck in my head, but ACM is a great "bad" example to serve as a warning to everybody.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
Found the quote I was looking for (months ago) while surfing on doteaters:

"A delayed game is eventually good; a rushed game is forever bad."

Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of Super Mario Bros.

I don't know why this game (and my post) stuck in my head, but ACM is a great "bad" example to serve as a warning to everybody.

I think it's also that the developer SEGA paid to make the game used the money for their own game franchise instead... :eek:

Anyone see the game for $20 new yet? I heard from AvP fans it is worth that...

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
Amazon Gold Box had the game on special last night - $20 for the game and $25 for the collectors edition. Ordered the collectors PS3 as if the game is really bad/worthless, at least the collectors edition is worth something in the videogame collectors realm.. ;)

Will post my review here when I get it.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Darn! Another game that didn't come out for the WiiU!:p

I would be interested in hearing a) how bad was it on a console, and b) was there any attempt to make improvements via updates...

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
Well, I got the game (PS3) from Amazon Gold Box - $25 for the Collector's Edition. Here are some thoughts after playing a few hours.

I also played Alien vs. Predator (PS3 version) right before for a couple of hours just to make a comparison.

First packaging:
Wow, the figure you get with it is pretty cool. It's a Marine in a Heavy Loader with an Alien attacking it. The extra papers you get with it are so-so. But, for any Alien/Sci-Fi Collector, the figure is cool. I estimate the package alone is worth about $30.

The game:
Well, I wasn't expecting much because of reading the review, but got a lot more. If you are a fan of the series going back to the Jaguar, that is what the game is really about. It seems you go on "tasks" to do things. If you get killed by an Alien, you can start the task over. The graphics and environment is great, though only runs 720p (not upscaled, your display switches to that mode, does make some of the text a little hard to read).

There is also some multiplayer maps on there with deathmatch, missions, etc. (I have a slow DSL so I wasn't online). It does allow you to explore the levels on your own off-line. Will try a bit later.

Really, that is what the series seems to be. I guess people were expecting some sort of Halo/Gears of War 1080p type of title. This series is not that.

What is it worth? Not the $60 for just the game. If you like the Alien games that were out before on previous platforms, you'll like this one, but don't pay more than around $15 new or $10 used. $25 for new with the figure is an incredible deal.

The Wii U Version:
It would've been awesome. The game has you using the PDA locator as an essential part. You call up the PDA and it is in front of the screen, putting your weapon to the side. So-so for a regular console, but on the Wii U, it would've been an AWESOME use of the Touchscreen Controller. They could've also made the Touchscreen Pad used for other functions. But, I heard through some article that the Devs were making it to be used to solve "puzzles" to get through doors, which you have to do A LOT in this game, so having to solve puzzle at every door would've been a total NIGHTMARE.

Well, looking forward to playing it more. I got the PS3 version as I don't have many PS3 games, but really gonna find a cheap used copy of the XB360 version later (I find that controller better for me).

Bottom Line: Do you like the Alien games on other platforms? Get this one if you find one for $10-$15.... :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.