Aliens vs Predator (360, ps3, pc)

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Huntn, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I remember playing the first Aliens vs Predator, the game that gave me a sore neck and shoulders. I remember an alien barreling down a long hallway at me and I felt like Ripley trying to my gun to work for the first time. It was a blast. And I played the second version (AvP2) of the game too.

Here it is again. Man I am temped. Graphics look great. Unfortunately no coop. Unfortunately the demo is online multiplayer only. I'm wondering if it is going to be a been there, done that? Anyone playing? Any good?
    Thanks!

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I've only played the demo but from what I gather (reviews I've seen and talking to people around the office) the game is very average although if you really like the AvP universe you might enjoy it more for that reason. I was a real big fan of AvP2 and was looking forward to this game but I'll probably wait until it hits the discount bin before thinking about picking it up.

Lethal

3. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I'd like to play this game at a LAN party, but without a strong single player game, I'd pass on it. Coop would be great, it's why I bought L4D 1/2. I wonder why they didn't implement it?

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I bought it on PC.

Plays alright. Not going to win any awards or anything, but it passes the time.

5. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

My advice - the originals are MUCH better ... save yourself $50 on this completely unnecessary cobbled together remake and replay the classics.

6. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Advice sadly taken. Speaking of reviews, here is Gamespot's. And while they acknowledged that many players will want to love this game, it got a 5.5 rating. :( I always thought the original AvP MP sucked as compared to other online MP FPSs like Unreal Tournament. I was into it for a strong solo campaign. Offline coop would be even better but with this franchise, that has always been a dream.

When three mediocre games are jammed into a single package, the result is still mediocre. That's unfortunate, because Aliens vs. Predator is a game you want to love. It comes from the developer of the beloved first game in the AVP series, and like that game, it features three distinct campaigns with three somewhat differing styles of play. And of course there is the undeniable fact that predators and aliens are awesome, and the idea of controlling them in a game is just as awesome. But concept and nostalgia aren't enough to make Aliens vs. Predator worth playing, though certain moments will make you squirm in delight in spite of the game's noteworthy flaws. Sadly, the sight of the predator as he rips the spine out of his human victims is a short-lived joy because of the general clumsiness that invades almost every aspect of developer Rebellion's newest addition to the franchise. The recycled levels are poorly designed, control issues make playing as the alien a chore rather than a pleasure, and numerous minor defects weigh the whole experience down. Most importantly, Aliens vs. Predator's campaigns just aren't much fun, and while the multiplayer is somewhat better, it's unlikely to be your go-to online shooter.

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It is the controls for the Alien which leave a lot to be desired. They are just wrongly mapped and what should be fluid and intuative becomes disorientatingly frustrating. It's a shame.

I like the predator levels and marine levels are ok if not a little generic.

It's not a bad game. If it was $20 I would recommend it whole heartedly. It's fairly solid otherwise as far as FPS's go. At full price however it's a little too average to justify.

Oh and don't get me started about how buggy the game is. I had to downgrade my graphics drivers just to get the game to start on PC. It is a pain in the arse process that reminds me why I prefer consoles. So to play 1 game my graphics drivers are poorer now on the remaining 15+ games. I hate pc's.

8. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

You talking video card drivers or Direct X (which I thought was backwards compatible)? That sounds like a strange problem for a new game.

9. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

It's just a glitch in the Catalyst drivers, it will be fixed. Glad that Mac's don't have problems like that though.

10. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Are there demo downloads?

I looked at the box and it seems just an updated Jaguar version (which is a classic).

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

12. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I believe there is a multiplayer demo on Xbox live, not that that will help you on Steam.

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yes demo is def there on steam. Search alien v predator, den in the info pane you can click download demo.