Alienware just own MBP 15?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Emrtr4, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Emrtr4 macrumors regular

Did Alienware just make the first 15 inch notebook that is comparable if not substantially more impressive than the 15 inch MBP?

Here is the link to the new M15X.

There are several levels of specifications and it is possible to get this laptop for under $2K, but on the other end of the spectrum this item can be upgraded with items we MBP fans can only dream of (minus OSX of course).

Now I know you will say alienware sucks, I have used a friends and it did seem bad but this machine looks amazing.
    Here are some items that the 15 inch MBP is missing
    1. 1920x1200 LCD (not LED-tear)
    2. Blu-ray drive with read and write (optional)
    3. up to Intel Penryn extreme 2.8 ghz processor
    4. 1 gig Intel Turbo Memory
    5. 64 gig Solid State drive
    6. 320 gig 5400 RPM hardrive
    7. Ability to have 2 200 gig 7200 RPM hardrives (MBP u can have one unless u void ur warranty and replace the CD drive with a hardrive)
    8. 160 gig hybrid hardrive with 256 megs flash
    9. Illuminated LCD keyboard
    10. Creative X-Fi Audio card for excellent sound output
    11. Smart bay allowing either second hardrive, blu-ray drive, or additional battery for more than 6 hours of battery life.
    and of course

12. 8800 GTX 512 megs !!!!!!!!

2. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

It doesn't look bad but it's thick probably noisy and it doesn't run OS X but other than that it's pretty awesome.

3. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

13. Height: 1.5" (vs. the MBP's 1.0" )
    14. Weight: 8.5 lbs (vs. the MBP's 5.4 lbs)

:)

4. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

Give it a facelift, liposuction and OSX and yes, it would have by miles.

5. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

Look at the price though...not to pick on price being an Apple user...but still...GOOD GOD!

6. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

7. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Don't brag about Solid State since the lifespan isn't that impressive yet. Only eye opener for me is the video card.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yikes! Game over!

B

9. Emrtr4 thread starter macrumors regular

I am sorry to say that SSD has no failure rates like hardrives and the new ones that Samsung (I believe those are the NAND modules dell/ alienware uses) have an average life expectancy 2-3 times that of platter driven drives.

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I believe he's referring to the finite number of read/write cycles for flash.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory

B

11. Emrtr4 thread starter macrumors regular

You are correct, that did use to be a problem. However-the average read/ write cycles for 4th generation NAND is now 3-4 million I believe which is much more than someone can expect a platter drive to last.

From wikipedia,

"high endurance Flash storage is often marketed with endurance of 1–5 million write cycles (many log files, file allocation tables, and other commonly used parts of the file system exceed this over the lifetime of a computer). Special file systems or firmware designs can mitigate this problem by spreading writes over the entire device, rather than rewriting files in place.[5]"

That is in line with what current large NAND flash producers are guaranteeing their products for.

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Thanks, I didn't see that in the Wiki but was looking for numbers.

Thickness I could live with, but I can't get past the 8.6 lbs! If I wanted a desktop, I'd buy a desktop and save lots of $.

B

13. Emrtr4 thread starter macrumors regular

Yup, no problem. That is how apple can get away with flash in the iphone/ touch, imagine if after adding new music 100 times it would die ha.

Luckily flash has come a long way and hopefully apple will put some of it into products next week.

I agree with you, I would prefer the laptop to be lighter but when I am carrying around my MBP with an extra battery, airline adaptor, external hardrive, ect...ect.. the weight is more than 10 pounds so I would be glad to get a laptop with 6 hour battery life that can also play crysis!

Of course the only big problem for me is Vista-I love OSX...

14. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yeah, but the iPod (incl. touch & iPhone) are much less dynamic than general purpose computing. Take the Windows Registry [please!], how often will that file get updated?

Don't forget you'll still need lots of those extras with this notebook too, so I'd be surprised if you'd be under 12 lbs. Enjoy your lumbago! :p

B

15. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Why do people insist on making these topics comparing other laptops to Apple's?

They're pointless.

1. That Alienware is a dedicated gaming laptop. Apple isn't in the gaming market.
    2. Alienware is made by Dell. Get a falcon northwest if you want a gaming laptop. Dell makes **** products.
    3. That thing 50% thicker and 60% heavier than the Macbook Pro, is packed full of power hungry and heat generating components, and runs a crappy OS.

So if I wanted a 10 pound iron for my shirts that runs windows and has 12 minutes of battery life and will break down in 2 years because it's made by Dell, then maybe I'd buy that thing.

16. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

17. Emrtr4 thread starter macrumors regular

Why are some people so angry and ill informed?

The laptop is not 60% heaver, and unlike our Macbook Pros which are also very hot and use the same components, this laptop has the most advanced technology available for prices in line with Apples products.

The fact is Apple offers no SSD or smart bay options for extended battery life that is far superior to apples below average battery life.They also always (Even now on the macpro) have underperforming graphics cards.

18. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

The dimensions of the MBP don't lend itself to the 8800. The Alienware is a larger enclosure that I'm guessing can accomodate the extra heat.

Even if this was OSX licensed ... I'd take the MBP in a heartbeat. > 8lbs is nuts, whatever it's packing.

19. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

*Sigh* there is no owning

The MBP is a mainstream pro laptop whilst the Alienware is a dedicated gaming machine meant to be propped on a desk and never moved. Both are fundamentally different all the way down to dimensions The Alienware's battery life will be sucky, it will make you sterile with the amount of heat it generates and break your back as an added feature when you try to lug it due to weight

Flash memory in notebooks are overhyped. There are limited read/write cycles and slow write-to speeds

There also the fact that the MBP is 6 months old whilst the Aware was just announced at CES!...its bound to sport some of the latest 'stuff'

Its just a terrible comparison!

Why would you buy a gaming PC anyway....even more so a laptop gaming PC thats bound to struggle when it comes to playing new titles 6 months later...yet can't be upgraded Just buy a console.

Honestly people will never cease to amaze me.......:rolleyes:

20. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

8.6 pounds ? maybe you guys need to start going to a gym if its that much worse than a MBP 5.4 lbs

21. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

22. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

Holy crap! I just configured a $14K laptop! :eek:

Attached Files:

23. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

ill-informed?

Fine, 59.259% heavier.
    I have an MBP and it doesn't run that hot. If you pack two hard drives in to a laptop along with an 8800GT, it's going to run much hotter than the MBP.

Well according to that customize page, it's still using Merom (from May 2007), so that's not really the most advanced technology, now is it?

Additionally, Apple's MBP starts at $1999. That thing starts at $2699. Those prices are not in line.

hahaha. You'd be lucky to get 90 minutes out of that Alienware with wifi off, screen all the way down, etc. My Macbook Pro can get 4.5 hours with those settings.

And as for the graphics card, like I said, the Macbook Pro isn't a damn gaming desktop replacement like the Alienware. The 8600m GT is a great card and works perfect for it's intended uses (people using Aperture, Motion, Color, 3d software, etc).

24. Smurfed macrumors regular

It's impossible to make these people agree with you, after all you're in a mac forum.

My thoughts are hmm, alienware finally put out a decent looking machine, great bto options. It's still missing penryn though.

25. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99