Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Why are some people so angry and ill informed?

I don't think anyone here is being angry. If they are, they need to calm down. ;) :)

The laptop is not 60% heaver,
Actually, you'll find that it is indeed 59.2% heavier, which for all intents and purposes, we can call 60%. :)

and unlike our Macbook Pros which are also very hot and use the same components, this laptop has the most advanced technology available for prices in line with Apples products.
I'll agree that it has some great specs, but it is also in the 17" mbp range. If we factor in the massive weight and size, it is in fact not as "owning" as the thread title indicated.

8.6 pounds ? maybe you guys need to start going to a gym if its that much worse than a MBP 5.4 lbs

Actually, it can wear on your back/shoulder if you carry around an additional 3.2lbs for hours per day. Those who travel frequently will tell you that even an extra two pounds can be a pain when it comes to notebooks.

Now if we add in the additional thickness, finding a bag for that behemoth can become incredibly difficult.

Nick012

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2007
Imagine the battery life on this thing! You might get 3 or maybe even 4 minutes on a full charge!

m3the01

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2007
Its specs are nice, however its just to large for me.

Its very nice to see solid state 64GB disk @ only around an $800 add on, plus the 8800M 512MB is really nice. For me those are the only things that are really nice,

As soon as ssd's come down a little more u can bet im throwing one of those in the mbp 2.4

bntz313

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2007
It is a nice set-up on paper, but no OSX. Being a recent switcher and having a dell desktop right next to me. I can say that an apple is better quality & better OSX. But if all someone wants is the lastest souped up................forget it

Like the old saying goes:
It's quality over quantity

But on paper/screen it looks great.

GAS

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2006
A Ferrari and a Yugo both use Texaco gas but one performs much better.

Pretty poor analogy to be honest.
A better analogy: A Volkswagen and an Audi both use the same engine. But one has a finer tuning and higher levels of refinement.

deggs37

macrumors member
May 23, 2006
Ohio
So if I wanted a 10 pound iron for my shirts that runs windows and has 12 minutes of battery life and will break down in 2 years because it's made by Dell, then maybe I'd buy that thing.

I almost thought you were talking about my MBP until you said made by Dell. Because my battery only has about ~30 minutes of life and it gets so hot I could fry up an egg on it. Not to mention I have fans making weird noises as of lately which seems to me like they are breaking down.

But I do have a 7 year old dell desktop that has never given me any problems.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
I almost thought you were talking about my MBP until you said made by Dell. Because my battery only has about ~30 minutes of life and it gets so hot I could fry up an egg on it. Not to mention I have fans making weird noises as of lately which seems to me like they are breaking down.

But I do have a 7 year old dell desktop that has never given me any problems.

Well apparently you have the Core Duo model which was the first version of the MBP. It definitely ran hot. Apple redesigned the vents for the C2D I believe.

Plus that means your laptop is nearly two years old so your cycle count is getting up there and you probably need a new battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.