All App Updates Must Be Built With iOS 11 SDK and Include iPhone X Display Support Starting in July

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 7, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple today informed developers that starting in July of 2018, all app updates submitted to the iOS App Store must be built with the iOS 11 SDK and must offer support for the iPhone X's taller display.

Introduced in back in September, the iOS 11 SDK includes new technologies for app developers like Core ML, ARKit, revamped camera APIs, additional SiriKit domains, drag and drop features for the iPad, and more.

Going forward, iOS apps will need to adopt these technologies, and more importantly, Apple will be forcing developers who have not yet implemented support for the new display of the iPhone X to do so. While most major apps have added support for the iPhone X, there are still many apps that have not been updated and continue to have ugly black bars when used on the iPhone X.

This includes some Apple apps, such as iTunes Connect, iTunes Remote, Beats Pill+, Music Memos, and AirPort Utility, so presumably Apple will be updating its own apps with full iPhone X support in the near future given the new guidelines.
    Apple's requirement for app updates to introduce iPhone X support will be implemented just a few months ahead of the launch of new 2018 iPhones that will be similar in design to the existing iPhone X. Apple is rumored to be working on three phones: a 5.8-inch OLED device that's a successor to the iPhone X, a 6.5-inch OLED device that can be thought of as a sort of "iPhone X Plus," and a 6.1-inch LCD iPhone that will have a lower price tag.

Apple in April began requiring all new apps to be built with the iOS 11 SDK and with support for the iPhone X's display.

Article Link: All App Updates Must Be Built With iOS 11 SDK and Include iPhone X Display Support Starting in July

2. twinlight macrumors 6502a

twinlight

Wow. Harsh for developers, great for us users!

3. jonblatho macrumors 65816

jonblatho

Good. If you follow best practices in developing your iOS app, it takes on the order of seconds.

4. bwillwall macrumors 6502a

bwillwall

Makes sense to me, nobody should be actively developing for a platform when they don't support their newest devices this long after launch.

5. martyjmclean macrumors 6502

martyjmclean

Finally! The apps I use that aren’t iPhone X optimised probably aren’t being updated anyway, though. :(

6. BB8 macrumors regular

BB8

They'll have had 9 months to update, what's harsh about that?

7. dfstock macrumors member

dfstock

I can't wait for Inbox by google to fill up the top portion of my iphone x. I think its the last app by google not to support iphone x.

8. twinlight macrumors 6502a

twinlight

Probably a lot of apps out there developed and mostly never updated or rarely updated. Now they will never be updated.

9. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I can see another rapture of apps in a few years. If an app doesn't meet this requirement, it is removed.

10. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Harsh for ****** developers. The rest of us have had it supported since release.

11. dwaltwhit macrumors 6502

dwaltwhit

Many will complain, and some perhaps rightfully so, but this is what keeps Apple in the position it is in in the mobile phone market.

12. stoopkidblues macrumors 6502

stoopkidblues

Happy this is happening but can see why this sucks for the smaller developers and why they probably wont bother with it.

Big names should have already done this but how can Apple enforce something they haven’t done themselves?

Maybe it’s those “slimmer notch” rumors?

13. vmachiel macrumors 68000

They do this every year around that time.

14. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

Hey, good news. Some of the older apps are making me crazy. Such a waste of a pretty screen!

15. Scooz macrumors 6502

Anybody knows what that means for backwards compatibility? What older iOS versions can be served with that SDK? 9+?

16. daveak macrumors 6502

17. Scooz macrumors 6502

18. NoBoMac Moderator

NoBoMac

Staff Member

Isn't this a bit old news? I thought Apple already put out this warning some months back?

But, yes, good for X owners: finally get the slow adopter developers to get off their butts.

19. Will.O.Bie macrumors 6502

Will.O.Bie

Sorry notch haters, looks like that's here to stay moving forward. Also, looks like they are confirming the phase out of the bezels from the current line up, which corroborates the rumor of the future iPhone X line.

20. JGIGS macrumors 65816

JGIGS

Alright Google time to either update the inbox app for the iphone X or get rid of it and bring those features to the Gmail app like they have done for the web app version.

21. dan9700 macrumors 68030

dan9700

Copilot sat nat and SKY Q need to act there game up 7 months and still waiting

22. JediZenMaster Suspended

JediZenMaster

Good Apple! Throw those lazy butt devs out who refuse to upgrade those apps. In fact ban them for good especially if they have other apps already optimized or ask for an explanation as to why.

23. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

Maybe Apple should update their own developer-focused iTunes Connect app to support iPhone X. I'm all on board for them to enforce this on developers, but perhaps they should lead the way.

edit: did not see that this was mentioned in the article

24. hollersoft macrumors member

They may have warned that they would do this at some unspecified date, and may have had this requirement for *new* apps. This news is about app *updates* specifically.

It also means the end of support for iPhone 4 and earlier, since the Xcode version that includes the iOS 11 SDK doesn’t allow a deployment target earlier than iOS 8. If you have customers still using those devices, they’re SOL.

25. Trik macrumors 6502

There are apps that have been updated but not specifically for iPhone X... Hearthstone comes to mind. I have a feeling Blizzard will just make the background bigger on the iPhone X though to make it easier on themselves.