All Black Furniture: What Color Walls?

NickD

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2007
Colorado
I'm going to all black/chrome furniture in my bedroom/office. What color do you recommend I paint the walls? What accent colors would you use?

NickD

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
Blue - a nice deep intense shade of blue.
I had this color scheme once, looked really good, add blue velvet pillows too.

Or a nice cream, no peachy or pink but sandy cream, will set of the black and chrome nicely with out making it feel cold

Nayrb

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2007
Virginia
White with colored lighting. The wonder of white is you can change it almost any color you want with lights :cool:

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
I'd go with either white to make it look deliberately stark, or a taupe or even a duck-egg blue, which I think works nicely with black. "Cream" is boring and so very 90s. I personally wouldn't paint walls bright shades of colour (red/orange etc) with just black in the room. If you want a really dark look overall then perhaps a warm purpley-aubergine tone but without making it look too goth-like!

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
Perhaps paint the majority of the walls a whitish grey and then have one more brightly coloured feature wall.
Feature walls are fun, but it means more color-coordinating, and I'm not sure if it would work with black, since so few colors seem to work with black in the first place.

The duck egg blue sounds nice. Not too bright, though, and not too dark. A soft, almost slightly desaturated, blue.

In these cafés they have in Shanghai, called Wagas, each one has a feature wall that's been either covered with glass or chalkboard paint so that they can write the day's special on it. I love that. When I get my own place I'm gonna make one wall in the house a chalkboard wall where I can draw schedules/pictures/write notes to people, etc. I know. I'm a kid.

NickD

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2007
Colorado
Lots of good tips guys! I don't think I'm going to go with a cream, so I've narrowed it down to the following:

Burgundy
Duck-Egg Blue
Taupe (which color of taupe?)

What do you think? And what shade of taupe are you all thinking?

c.greene914

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2007
Perhaps a light grey. Personally, I love the look of vertical stripes alternating between flat and glossy. Looks classy.