All Intel X-25m owners - Intel has fixed your boot camp issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mmoran27, Apr 13, 2009.

1. mmoran27 macrumors 6502

This was just released 10 minutes ago.

http://support.intel.com/support/ssdc/index_update.htm

User Guide
    http://download.intel.com/support/ssdc/User_Guide.pdf

FAQ
    http://download.intel.com/support/ssdc/FW_Upgrade_Tool_FAQ.pdf

Here are some odd known issues:

2.2 Apple* Safari*

Please use the Mozilla* Firefox* browser as there is a known website incompatibility with Apple* Safari*.

2.3 Nvidia* Chipsets
    Some Nvidia chipset-based systems, including Apple Macintosh systems using Nvidia chipsets, do not recognize an Intel® SSD. To update the Intel® SSD, use the following instructions:
    1. Remove the Intel® SSD from the system.
    2. Complete the firmware update on a non-Nvidia system.
    3. After a successful firmware update, reinstall the Intel® SSD in the Nvidia-based system.
    4. Reboot the Nvidia*-based system.

2. frimple macrumors 6502

Damn it Intel. :mad:

3. mmoran27 thread starter macrumors 6502

It's not surprising that an intel product has problems with Nvidia based chipsets

They don't like each other, so why go out of the way to make sure it works.

4. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

Anyone know whether you can perform this process on an Apple computer rather than a PC?

EDIT: Seeing as it doens't work on some NVidia based Macs, I assume it works on others!

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Thanks for posting. I have issues on my intel based Penryn macbook pro, which doesn't utilize the nvidia chipset. hrm...

6. mmoran27 thread starter macrumors 6502

If the apple computer is using an intel based chipset than the flash tool should work

If you have an older intel mac the flash tool should work.

The update only takes literally a second.

7. magamo macrumors 6502

Thanks for the link. I wonder what this update fixes/improves. It doesn't seem Intel has specified what "several continuous improvement optimizations" are.

8. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

Just updated an X25-M 80Gb from firmware 045C8610 to 045C8820 on my late 2007 2.2GHz MBP Penryn (Nvidia GPU but not chipset).... all ok

9. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Same. Went pretty quickly. Speed seems unchanged but we will see.

10. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

Yeah I thought that, but a speed increase seems unlikely I guess! I wonder if they've managed to fix the rumoured slow-downs which occur after prolonged use of the disk.

11. James Cole macrumors 6502

12. magamo macrumors 6502

13. plesset macrumors member

Well there is a difference. My system is faster. Here are the before and after xbench results. Both were run after a reboot. I upgraded on my 2.66 uMBP. No issues with the nVidia chipset. Update took a few seconds.

Before the Firmware Update:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

14. magamo macrumors 6502

Updated from 8790 on my UMBP. As the FAQ says, it doesn't seem to matter if your chipset is nVidia unless the firmware is 8610.

15. watergun macrumors regular

The update process was really fast. It prob took seconds only. Is this normal?

16. magamo macrumors 6502

User Guide says, "It will take a couple of seconds to update the firmware on your SSD." Actually it only took like a second when I did it.

17. watergun macrumors regular

Ah, thanks. I was worried for nothing then :D System Profiler does show 8820 as the current version after the really quick update.

18. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

Ditto here. Xbench (grain of salt on how reliable a benchmark it is) shows the write speed being a little faster for me too. Crazy.

19. steffi macrumors 6502a

Yeah mine is

045C8610

Unibody MBP 2.53

The boot CD doesn't find the SSD gives an error about not finding an Intel SSD attached

And no I don't have an Intel Non Nvidia Mac or a Windows Non Nvidia Mac and it's assasine for Intel to require that.

20. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

Frankly, we're lucky that Intel have incorporated a user updatable firmware at all, and even more so that it can be updated on a Mac. I doubt other SSD manufacturers are meeting those criteria.

I kind of wonder if the limitation of Nvidia based Macs arises from an issue with the FreeDOS utility rather than the firmware program.

21. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

Not sure but do I have to instal the intel ssd in a pc to do this update? Is there a way to instal the ssd in something that I could boot from using a pc from the usb or do I have to open up my pc and drop it in there?

22. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

Interesting, this review suggests that the bootcamp issue isn't fixed - which differs to what the OP was suggesting. I haven't tested it out yet (in fact I don't know if I was ever affected by this issue)....

23. TechViking macrumors regular

Anyone able to install XP on the X25-M after upgrading to the 8820 firmware?

It does not work for me. The X25-M is now detected by the XP installation, and can be chosen when asked where to install Windows. But after the part when the XP installation has finished copied files to disk and is restarting, the installation can not continue and I get the following error message:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll
    Please reinstall a copy of the above file"

The file is not missing nor corrupt however.

Tried several different versions of XP discs. I am getting the same error on them all.

24. magamo macrumors 6502

The PC Perspective article says the new firmware is to fix the fragmentation problem that could have caused writing speed degradation in a certain situation. According to this page, Intel has already fixed the Bootcamp issue with a revised bootloader ROM so the current X25-M can use Bootcamp, but if you have the older version, this new firmware won't fix it because the incompatibility can't be addressed by a firmware because of the nature of the problem.

25. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

You forgot to mention that Intel support should replace the drive if you end up in this situation. :)