Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
The capability is here now for Stage Manager on the iPhone. It would be awesome to plug an iPhone into a monitor and connect a mouse and keyboard to use it like an iOS desktop. Apple would probably lose a lot of iPad and Mac sales which is why I’m sure we don’t have this now, but hopefully we get it in the near future.
Yeah that would be sweet.

I would wager that if they ever do something like that, it would be like a paid app to download, or subscription.

Agent007

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2006
United States
That awkward moment when the A16 Bionic has a displayport controller connected to it that can do 8.64Gbps to do 4k 30Hz HDR but only a 480Mbps USB 2 controller.
THANK YOU! That's what I came here for. Busts the myth that "the older SOC doesn't support the speed". Ugh - greed, greed, greed.

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
This has been tried for a decade now and it comes down to the fact that good desktop operating systems don’t make good mobile operating systems and vice versa. The limitations that are good for mobile are bad for desktop. The full desktop, file system access, high precision pointer etc are good for desktop and not for mobile.

Don’t forget Windows 8. I hope Apple stays the course in keeping a clear separation between mobile and “desktop” operating systems. There’s a lot of powerful “legacy” there that has no replacement.

Now if you’re talking thin clients for end users then yes I think the iPad/iPhone is almost there with the right accessories and software.
Dual boot.

Reactions: CarAnalogy

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016
Well I was holding my breath from 2010 when the square iPod nano was released till 2015 when the Apple Watch was released 😅 It may take a while, but it feels inevitable.
Hmm. The Watch is an iPod nano with a wrist strap? Haha, never thought of it that way before.

tuckerjj

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2010
Hmm. The Watch is an iPod nano with a wrist strap? Haha, never thought of it that way before.
Yeah, the instant I saw that square 6th gen *which had watch faces*, and the straps people were making for it, I just knew I wanted an Apple Watch, and when the 7th gen reverted to a more traditional iPod shape and size my gut told me it was because Apple was working on one! That was a long five year wait though 😅

• Haha
Reactions: IG88

SIGSEGV1

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2020
Do I need to cool down iPhone 15 Pro with liquid nitrogen while it output 4K to external monitor? Just to avoid overheating and battery bursting into beautiful purplish red flame?

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016
Ok, serious question: is it becoming possible to use the iPhone Pro as a sort of desktop computer?

Think about it: A17 Pro chip, 8GB Ram, up to 1TB storage, USB 3 speeds... hook it up to a 4k display, with a USB-C hub you could also use a wired keyboard + mouse while charging the device.

I've been dreaming of the 1-device-for-everything solution for a while. I think specs-wise, we're almost there. The only thing we'd still need would be support for custom display resolutions, and better mouse support.
And put macOS in it. Good luck with Apple allowing that though. Too much profits made from keeping it locked down and restricted with iOS.

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016
Because DisplayPort is not USB. DisplayPort is DisplayPort.

USB Type-C is the connector. USB 2 is the protocol.

Granted, it is still a dick move by Apple. The spec clearly supports simultaneous USB 3.1 with DP 4K@60. Apple is just deliberately deprecating down to USB 2.0 bc they want you to buy the Pro.
And they are deliberately deprecating the Pro down to 10Gbps USB 3.1 because they will want you to buy the 16 Pro. They will deliberately deprecate the 16 Pro down to 20Gbps because.. 17 Pro.... etc.

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016
And they are deliberately deprecating the Pro down to 10Gbps USB 3.1 because they will want you to buy the 16 Pro. They will deliberately deprecate the 16 Pro down to 20Gbps because.. 17 Pro.... etc.
To a point, yeah.

After looking at a board of the 14 Pro, which I assume they change as little as possible to make it the 15.....there was a USB 2.0 controller chip.

So I'd say they aren't really handicapping the 15 in that regard. They just did nothing. USB-C connector has dedicated USB 2.0 pins so that would work with the USB 2.0 controller.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Please share what you think is a better reason for why Apple doesn’t bring a useful feature to iOS that they already have written for iPadOS. I’ll wait.
I can tell you it’s not because of a fear of cannibalizing their other products. :) They have a long history of cannibalizing their own products. The iPad has been massively cannibalizing the Mac for years now. The Mac cannibalized the Apple II. The iPhone cannibalized the iPod. Vision Pro is going to cannibalize something, it remains to be seen what. Apple doesn’t care if one uses the money they would have spent on ONE of Apple’s products on ANOTHER of Apple’s products. As long as there’s an Apple logo on the device purchased, they win.
"If you don't cannibalize yourself, someone else will.” — Steve Jobs

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
I can tell you it’s not because of a fear of cannibalizing their other products. :) They have a long history of cannibalizing their own products. The iPad has been massively cannibalizing the Mac for years now. The Mac cannibalized the Apple II. The iPhone cannibalized the iPod. Vision Pro is going to cannibalize something, it remains to be seen what. Apple doesn’t care if one uses the money they would have spent on ONE of Apple’s products on ANOTHER of Apple’s products. As long as there’s an Apple logo on the device purchased, they win.
"If you don't cannibalize yourself, someone else will.” — Steve Jobs
First of all, that was a quote by a person who hasn't run that company in well over a decade. Apple'a ideals now are not the same.

Second, Mac sales have only been going up. The iPad didn't cannibalize anything. But regardless, it's not the same when you introduce a new product that cannibalizes an old product. You're just shifting your sales to a new device. Apple isn't going to introduce features on a current device that will make another device irrelevant unless competition forces them to. That's why you don't get MacOS on an iPad when you connect it to a keyboard and mouse. Hardly anyone would buy a Mac when you could get one built into an iPad with the same chip.

Third, the Vision Pro is not cannibalizing anything. Or was that you continuing to be ironically funny?

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016
To a point, yeah.

After looking at a board of the 14 Pro, which I assume they change as little as possible to make it the 15.....there was a USB 2.0 controller chip.

So I'd say they aren't really handicapping the 15 in that regard. They just did nothing. USB-C connector has dedicated USB 2.0 pins so that would work with the USB 2.0 controller.
It's all about focusing on maximising profits, without caring about simply making the best machine possible.

Combined, it is extra infuriating, as we all know the extra production costs of making the phone the best can be measured in cents.

But Apple doesn't care, it's all about maximising margins, and constraining features to allow a drip feed of upgrades each year, rather than simply putting out the best features as the tech becomes available.

What drives me insane, is if they did simply put out the best features, they'd probably actually make more sales, as more Android users would switch. How many Android users aren't even interested due to their current phones already having much better features, often at a much cheaper price. The Google Pixel phones are excellent case in point as a phone that is half the price, but has many better features.

I've been on the fence about switching for a while. I was going to buy an iPhone 15 Pro, but the restricted USB-C data speeds has finally infuriated me enough to yell angry abuse in Tim Cook's general direction. The Pixel 8 comes out in a couple of weeks, and my current thinking is to see how that looks, and if I'm happy with it, make the switch.

Will probably also switch to the top of the line Sony wf-1000xm5 earbuds too. Again, I was intending to upgrade to AirPods Pro with USB-C charging case, to match the iPhone 15 Pro. But that is now useless, due to Apple's proprietary fast device switching.

The Sony wf-1000xm5 apparently can connect to 2 devices simultaneously, so I should be able to connect to both my phone and MBP, and be able to take calls, or stop and start play on each device without having to switch Bluetooth connections. I'll be curious how well that works.

Reactions: IG88

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I've been on the fence about switching for a while. I was going to buy an iPhone 15 Pro, but the restricted USB-C data speeds has finally infuriated me enough to yell angry abuse in Tim Cook's general direction. The Pixel 8 comes out in a couple of weeks, and my current thinking is to see how that looks, and if I'm happy with it, make the switch.
Well, we can be angry about the iPhone 15 USB-C not being USB 3 speeds, but remember, Apple never promised you anything.
We got USB-C, that's nice, but we were never promised USB 3. It's a "Pro" feature to Apple, because Apple wants everyone except that top end of Pros to use Airdrop and iCloud. I don't think that's an unreasonable approach from them.
Apple tends to deliver everything we want in the end, but it can often be 5 or even 10 years late. Take the crippled iPad 10th generation, which deserved to be launched with a laminated display, USB 3 speeds and the Apple Pencil 2. It'll all come, later, eventually.

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016
We got USB-C, that's nice, but we were never promised USB 3.
USB 3.0 was released in 2008. Do we really need to be promised 2008 technology in order to expect it in 2023?

2008 tech is really justified as being a "Pro" feature?

Reactions: mectojic

_Spinn_

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2020
Wisconsin
The capability is here now for Stage Manager on the iPhone. It would be awesome to plug an iPhone into a monitor and connect a mouse and keyboard to use it like an iOS desktop. Apple would probably lose a lot of iPad and Mac sales which is why I’m sure we don’t have this now, but hopefully we get it in the near future.
I’d love to see this as well. But I’m sure Apple will never do this.

match14

macrumors regular
May 1, 2014
Tested a downloaded movie on Disneyplus with airplane mode turned on. Played back on external monitor just fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: hovscorpion12

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Well you won’t be needing a streaming stick to take to a hotel - as long as your iphone has airplay capability,
This requires your hotel to support the feature. Based on my travel experiences, you can never rely on a hotel to have specific tech in their rooms, much less be sure it's working correctly.

An HDMI cable is the most reliable way to get something of yours on a hotel TV (and sometimes you can't even get THAT to work!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.