Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The new iPhone 15, iPhone 15 Plus, iPhone 15 Pro, and iPhone 15 Pro Max all support DisplayPort for up to 4K HDR video mirroring and video output to an external display or TV, according to Apple's tech specs for the devices.

iPhone-15-USB-C-Port-Keynote.jpeg

DisplayPort support is built into the USB-C port on all iPhone 15 models, meaning that the devices can output video at up to 4K/60Hz natively to a DisplayPort-equipped external display or TV with a supported USB-C to DisplayPort cable. Alternatively, you can use Apple's $69 USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter to mirror video from any iPhone 15 to an HDMI-equipped TV or display at up to 4K/60Hz, but HDR is not supported this way.

On previous iPhones with a Lightning port, video mirroring is limited to 1080p with Apple's Lightning-to-HDMI or Lightning-to-VGA adapters.

Unfortunately for fans of the Stage Manager feature on select iPad models, the iPhone does not yet offer an extended display mode.

Article Link: All iPhone 15 Models Support DisplayPort for Up to 4K HDR Video Output to External Display

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
The capability is here now for Stage Manager on the iPhone. It would be awesome to plug an iPhone into a monitor and connect a mouse and keyboard to use it like an iOS desktop. Apple would probably lose a lot of iPad and Mac sales which is why I’m sure we don’t have this now, but hopefully we get it in the near future.

AppleTO

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2018
Toronto, Canada
So if you plugged an iPhone 15 (with only USB 2.0) into one of those 10-in-1 USB-C docks, would everything work (but slowly), and would the phone charge?

Edit: Not that there would be much of a point. I assume you would just end up with a giant mirrored iPhone on a connected display.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: lkrupp

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Ok, serious question: is it becoming possible to use the iPhone Pro as a sort of desktop computer?

Think about it: A17 Pro chip, 8GB Ram, up to 1TB storage, USB 3 speeds... hook it up to a 4k display, with a USB-C hub you could also use a wired keyboard + mouse while charging the device.

I've been dreaming of the 1-device-for-everything solution for a while. I think specs-wise, we're almost there. The only thing we'd still need would be support for custom display resolutions, and better mouse support.

AppleTO

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2018
Toronto, Canada
For the base 15 & 15 Plus, how can a 4K/60 display be supported on a USB-C port that is limited to USB 2 speeds?
The USB-C controller must be hooked up directly to the GPU which enables DisplayPort alternate mode. But the controller itself can only process USB 2.0 speeds of data. Kinda dumb, but not the first time I’ve seen this.

Last edited:

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016
For the base 15 & 15 Plus, how can a 4K/60 display be supported on a USB-C port that is limited to USB 2 speeds?
Because DisplayPort is not USB. DisplayPort is DisplayPort.

USB Type-C is the connector. USB 2 is the protocol.
DisplayPort leverages the Alternate Mode Functional Extension of the USB Type-C interface, and shares similar electrical characteristics with USB 3.1, allowing use of common system elements.
  • 4K @60Hz 24-bit color (without compression) with simultaneous USB 3.1
  • 5K (5120 x 2880) display support without compression with simultaneous USB 2.0
Granted, it is still a dick move by Apple. The spec clearly supports simultaneous USB 3.1 with DP 4K@60. Apple is just deliberately deprecating down to USB 2.0 bc they want you to buy the Pro.

Last edited:

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
Ok, serious question: is it becoming possible to use the iPhone Pro as a sort of desktop computer?

Think about it: A17 Pro chip, 8GB Ram, up to 1TB storage, USB 3 speeds... hook it up to a 4k display, with a USB-C hub you could also use a wired keyboard + mouse while charging the device.

I've been dreaming of the 1-device-for-everything solution for a while. I think specs-wise, we're almost there. The only thing we'd still need would be support for custom display resolutions, and better mouse support.
As long as there is no proper external display and multitasking support on iOS, the experience will be quite poor and limited. But the hardware definitely could provide a iPad-like experience with a few software tweaks. I hope Apple will pursue this direction

Joe Rossignol

Senior Reporter
Staff member
May 12, 2012
Canada
Because DisplayPort is not USB. DisplayPort is DisplayPort.

USB Type-C is the connector. USB 2 is the protocol.

Granted, it is still a dick move by Apple. The spec clearly supports simultaneous USB 3.1 with DP 4K@60. Apple is just deliberately deprecating down to USB 2.0 bc they want you to buy the Pro.
As the author of the MacRumors story, I want to make sure I'm not wrong here. I'm pretty sure you are correct. Based on my understanding, the USB-C port on the iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus supports USB 2.0 for data transfer, but also DisplayPort Alt Mode for video output, which has much higher bandwidth.

AppleTO

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2018
Toronto, Canada
As long as there is no proper external display and multitasking support on iOS, the experience will be quite poor and limited. But the hardware definitely could provide a iPad-like experience with a few software tweaks. I hope Apple will pursue this direction
Given the amount of time Apple went on about the new GPU in the keynote yesterday, I’m sure it would be to handle an extended display and Stage Manager…

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016
As the author of the MacRumors story, I want to make sure I'm not wrong here. I'm pretty sure you are correct. Based on my understanding, the USB-C port on the iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus supports USB 2.0 for data transfer, but also DisplayPort Alt Mode for video output, which has much higher bandwidth.
Yes that is correct.

Edit: I would phrase its as the A16 board only has a USB 2.0 controller.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.