Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lakersfan74

Suspended
Oct 17, 2019
The A16 chip only supported USB 2 speeds with lightning. Why would they redesign the A16 to support a higher speed? Next years the regular iPhone 16 will support USB 3 speed since it will use the A17 chip.
Apple can still limit it to 2.0 on the base phones if they wanted to in order to differentiate between Standard and Pro
models.

Reactions: Shirasaki

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
For all intents and purposes, Apple could’ve just limited the feature to video and limited applications only, as long as they firmly believe iPhone should not be used as an all-purpose computer, no matter how much customers are asking for. As we all know, Apple customer base is extremely loyal and has very low bar in terms of how little Apple delivers. This “DisplayPort“ thing I reckon gonna be one more of those “sigh, it could’ve done so much more”.

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016
For the 15 Pro models, it may actually more complicated since they might need to add multiplexers to switch the differential pair lines between the SuperSpeed interface and the DisplayPort interface as appropriate.
From ST Micro:
DisplayPort can use either two or four of the USB-C differential high speed lanes ML0 ML1 ML2 ML3 for payload data transmission.
Each lane is capable of 10 Gbps.

4K 60Hz needs around 12 Gbps. Which should only need 2 lanes.
That leaves the other two lanes for USB 3.1 speed of 10 Gbps.

As far as the DP spec goes, 5K (iPhone can't do this) would push beyond 20 Gbps which would then require all 4 lanes. Which then forces the need to use the dedicated USB 2 pins in the USB-C connector.

So no mux required. The iPhone only needs 2 of the 4 lanes to push 4K60 video.

Last edited:

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016
The A16 chip only supported USB 2 speeds with lightning. Why would they redesign the A16 to support a higher speed? Next years the regular iPhone 16 will support USB 3 speed since it will use the A17 chip.
After looking at pics of the board, I agree. The A16 board from iPhone 14 Pro only has a USB 2.0 controller on there.

Last edited:

Needleroozer

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2013
From ST Micro:

Each lane is capable of 10 Gbps.

4K 60Hz needs around 12 Gbps. Which should only need 2 lanes.
That leaves the other two lanes for USB 3.1 speed of 10 Gbps.

As far as the DP spec goes, 5K (iPhone can't do this) would push beyond 20 Gbps which would then require all 4 lanes. Which then forces the need to use the dedicated USB 2 pins in the USB-C connector.

So no mux required. The iPhone only needs 2 of the 4 lanes to push 4K60 video.

I think that you do need all four lanes for 4K60 with an older DisplayPort 1.2 display, but newer 4K60 displays with DisplayPort 1.4 or DisplayPort 2.0 will work with just two lanes, as you said.

Given that Apple states HDR compatibility, they’ve implemented at least a DisplayPort 1.4 interface, and so there’s very little reason for them to introduce the complexity of a mux.

To put a further nail in the coffin of my mux speculation, the Apple Digital AV adapter also supports 4K60 and 5Gbps SuperSpeed USB, which necessitates splitting the USB Type-C lanes between DisplayPort and SuperSpeed functionality.

Interestingly, the last update to that adapter was just after DisplayPort 1.3 hardware (which supports dual-lane 4K60 but not HDR) hit the market, which may explain why the iPhone 15s can’t output 4K60 HDR through that adapter.

Reactions: IG88

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
That’s why they are calling it the A17 Pro chip this year. So that they can cut down the feature of the non Pro iPhone 16 next year which will have an “A17” chip. Probably it will only have USB2.0 too. Who knows.

Last edited:

AndiG

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2008
Germany
All forum members who have always defended Lightning to the death should ignore this feature and never use it. They owe it to themselves.

• Disagree
Reactions: G5isAlive

tuckerjj

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2010
The capability is here now for Stage Manager on the iPhone. It would be awesome to plug an iPhone into a monitor and connect a mouse and keyboard to use it like an iOS desktop. Apple would probably lose a lot of iPad and Mac sales which is why I’m sure we don’t have this now, but hopefully we get it in the near future.
Yup, been dreaming about this for years! https://mastodon.online/@tuckerjj/111061865480533812

tuckerjj

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2010
I used DeX a little on my Note 10 one time. I'm on an S22 Ultra now and don't think I've ever used it intentionally.

If even the nerd population doesn't do it now, I don't think it'll fly over anytime soon.
Most people didn’t use smartphones until the iPhone, GPS until maps on iPhone, voice control until Siri, etc. If people aren’t using a useful feature it could be because there’s no good implementation out there, and while I’d love a feature like DeX on my iPhone, I’m not going to switch to Android to get it!

I mean Apple’s whole business since the beginning, has thrived off this sort of thing - take a device (e.g. mouse, mp3 player) or feature (e.g. GUI) that’s genuinely useful but no one uses because all the existing implementations are badly designed / user unfriendly, and do it right.

Last edited:

BlueTide

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2007
Silicon Valley, CA
Most people didn’t use smartphones until the iPhone, GPS until maps on iPhone, voice control until Siri, etc. If people aren’t using a useful feature it could be because there’s no good implementation out there, and while I’d love a feature like DeX on my iPhone, I’m not going to switch to Android to get it!

This. At least some part of the value prob is clear too - take less stuff with you, travel lighter. It doesn't even need to be "perfect", it just needs to be good enough.

Reactions: tuckerjj

mcheek0

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2023
I’m interested about what the difference will be between this year’s A17 Pro vs next year’s A17 in the iPhone 16.

tuckerjj

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2010
No. Because then you wouldn't need an iPad / MacBook.

Apple are not going to let the iPhone cannibalize those sales.

IMG_6340.jpeg

From https://www.businessinsider.com/apple-on-cannibalization-2015-12

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
It’s too bad Apple dragged their feet with USB-C and it took the EU to push them. They could’ve replaced lightning a few years ago, perhaps starting with the 11 Pro.

Reactions: coolman13355

tuckerjj

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2010
The capability is here now for Stage Manager on the iPhone. It would be awesome to plug an iPhone into a monitor and connect a mouse and keyboard to use it like an iOS desktop. Apple would probably lose a lot of iPad and Mac sales which is why I’m sure we don’t have this now, but hopefully we get it in the near future.
I would say there’s one last software piece of the puzzle to be implemented, “clamshell mode”. When using an external monitor on iPad OS some things still only appear/work on the built in display. This frustration needs to be removed.

AlexESP

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2014
To all those thinking that Apple doesn’t implement a DeX-like feature because it would cannibalize Mac and iPad sales, and they don’t innovate anymore, etc… maybe you should ask yourselves why DeX has been here for years and it’s a non-feature for basically everyone.

In reality, connecting your phone with a cable and having an available keyboard + mouse in a context where there’s not a computer is not a feasible scenario. And there are also many functional problems which would be a nightmare: how to handle storage, switching between totally different desktop and phone interface (you don’t want to suddenly loose the context when disconnecting the phone right), etc.

It’s totally different from Stage Manager, because the good thing about SM is that it has the same interface for both touch and mouse interaction, because the size of the display allows that; you can use it with or without a connected display, apps work exactly the same, so basically it works as the same device.

There are so many things to evaluate and test in real world before shipping a feature, and a great idea in mind might just turn out to be a good demo, as in this case.

tuckerjj

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2010
Hold your breath waiting for Apple to give the iPhone a desktop mode LOL.
Well I was holding my breath from 2010 when the square iPod nano was released till 2015 when the Apple Watch was released 😅 It may take a while, but it feels inevitable.

scarrab666

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2009
Sydney
Man if it supported Stage Manager this would work so well for me. JumpDesktop and I could just carry round my iPhone and use a USB C monitor at work for removing to my home Machine!

Reactions: tuckerjj

tuckerjj

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2010
To all those thinking that Apple doesn’t implement a DeX-like feature because it would cannibalize Mac and iPad sales, and they don’t innovate anymore, etc… maybe you should ask yourselves why DeX has been here for years and it’s a non-feature for basically everyone.

In reality, connecting your phone with a cable and having an available keyboard + mouse in a context where there’s not a computer is not a feasible scenario. And there are also many functional problems which would be a nightmare: how to handle storage, switching between totally different desktop and phone interface (you don’t want to suddenly loose the context when disconnecting the phone right), etc.

It’s totally different from Stage Manager, because the good thing about SM is that it has the same interface for both touch and mouse interaction, because the size of the display allows that; you can use it with or without a connected display, apps work exactly the same, so basically it works as the same device.

There are so many things to evaluate and test in real world before shipping a feature, and a great idea in mind might just turn out to be a good demo, as in this case.
There are already people using stage manager with an iPad, external monitor, keyboard and trackpad. The feature has already shipped in the real world on iPad OS. Bringing it over to iOS isn’t a big leap.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Glad to hear Apple is using one of many features that USB-C offers. I can absolutely see stage manager coming to iOS and that the iPhone will offer what many Androids are doing today, a full desktop experience once docked.

This is exciting stuff, imagine just taking your phone to work and docking it in and being able to continue to work.
Microsoft/Nokia offered this with Windows Phone, Android offeres it and I can only hope Apple packages this into a useful solution.

Have been using stage manager and iPad for a while in a docked solution there is some work that's needed before its working propery. Its getting there but needs better mouse support and a bit of polishing to work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.