All iPhone 5's will use AT&T 3g

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kevinfrench, Mar 19, 2011.

1. kevinfrench macrumors newbie

I work for "The Shack" and at a meeting this morning the district manager told us some interesting news. He claimed that he was briefed that the new iPhone 5 launching this summer will use AT&T's 3g network, even on Verizon. He only mentioned that to us so we, the phone sales people, can direct new iPhone customers to AT&T as the shack doesn't carry Verizon. Like having the AT&T variant was the "true iPhone". I'm not sure if I believe it but it would make some sense. It explains why current Verizon iPhone owners are guaranteed unlimited data but it will only be for a limited time, ie: when iPhone 5 launches Verizon customers will have to follow AT&T data pricing. It would also be the answer to voice and data at the same time. No word on if it was going to utilize HSPA+ or not. It was just a few sentences that I thought were pretty interesting. If this is the case though I don't plan on upgrading anytime soon. I like unlimited on Verizon and will just wait till iPhone 6 comes out with LTE or something. Thoughts?

2. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

So Verizon iPhones are gonna run off of AT&T's 3G network? I wonder how they're gonna pull that off. :rolleyes:

I doubt the next iPhone would be LTE compatible though, although I don't doubt it'll support HSPA+.

3. guywoodman7 macrumors member

That makes absolutely no sense at all. If anything, it sounds like your district manager was told by his higher-ups something that goes like this...

"We only sell AT&T phones, therefore, push those iPhones. Any Verizon iPhone sold is a lost sale for us, and we will not see a profit. So make sure you lie to people that the 'true' iPhone 5, is the AT&T iPhone 5."

Plus, there is that well known fact of Apple's famous level of secrecy revolving around UNANNOUNCED products. So you know, sounds like your manager is full of it.

4. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

From a technical aspect, ask him to enlighten you and the sales team as to exactly how the VZW CDMA iPhone would function on the ATT GSM network in 3G. I am very curious to know how that will work.
    :rolleyes:

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, that makes perfect sense:D
    lol
    Verizon will just collect the money every month and the VZ iphones will be using AT&T's 3G.

7. kevinfrench thread starter macrumors newbie

Well it sounded "off" to me too but I do think he's in a position to where he would get to know things like sales strategy before something is released. I guess we'll just wait to find out.

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I don't believe it because Apple wouldn't have released any information and its still a bit too early for Apple to give any information.

9. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Concerning Apple products, no way. Not even Apple retail store employees or managers know anything about not yet released products. They find out the same time as the rest of us, if not a few days ahead in some cases.

No Radio Shack employee, including the CEO, would have any kind of inside knowledge to Apple products.

10. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I can see Apple making one iPhone that is 3g and CDMA compatible, but without a CDMA chip, the phone is incompatible with the Verizon network so a 3G only iphone is out of the question.

btw. Nobody knows anything about the iPhone 5 besides a select few in Cupertino.

11. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

"The Shack"- Sad

"He claimed that he was briefed that the new iPhone 5 launching this summer will use AT&T's 3g network, even on Verizon." - Sadder

"but it would make some sense." - Saddest

12. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

That makes no sense for a few reasons, including:
    -Apple never releases info like that in advance
    -Verizon would never agree with that
    -like guywoodman7 said, if anything it's a Radio Shack lie to sell more phones

13. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

Guess what: No one at your company has any inside information on the phone. Not even the CEO.

14. doomque macrumors newbie

doomque

I think he was referring to the fact that the new iPhone 5 will use 3g on AT&Ts network and will be the same on Verizon...meaning it will run on 3g not 4g or HSPA. Not that the phone will work on both networks.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

30 pin to external SIM adapter. Sheesh. ;)

No, he's in no position to know Apple's future. Nor is anyone at "The Shack".

16. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Sounds like the same stupid pitches the sales managers at my company say to the sales reps. Any ******** that can be told will be used.

17. Howdr macrumors regular

Howdr

LOL I agree its a tight held secrete thats why we have so many "Rumors" and not facts on the darn phone, I have read anything from a 4" screen and shiny metal to It prints money and grants 3 wishes....................:D

18. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

19. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

There is no way it is even remotely possible

There is no "if" involved in it...it WON'T happen.

20. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

No. Just no.

21. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

You really think a company who's so secretive about their products that they're prosecuting someone for selling/buying a lost iPhone 4 prototype, and that they'd stick the phone in a case to test it so no one would know what it was, would tell a Radioshack DISTRICT MANAGER about their plans for the iPhone 5?

sorry...no

22. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Sounds like they will use the "world radio" in the Verizion iPhone in all iPhones.

23. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

but the verizon iPhone doesn't have a world radio...or at least, it isn't active

24. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625